News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

See your alpha waves (maybe)

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 23, 2013, 04:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

McGrupp

Neat! I asked a couple of neurologists wandering around today about this. Both had no idea if it's alpha waves or not but think it's a possibility. They also think it's really neat too.

I would think it would be challenging to estimate the frequency of the illusion, although comparing them to other fixed wheels may make that easier.

QuoteSecondly, the authors say that perceiving the illusion (not just seeing the physical wheel) causes increased alpha waves:

I can try to test that! Perfect excuse to hook up my neurosky again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on August 23, 2013, 05:21:31 PM
Neat! I asked a couple of neurologists wandering around today about this. Both had no idea if it's alpha waves or not but think it's a possibility. They also think it's really neat too.

I would think it would be challenging to estimate the frequency of the illusion, although comparing them to other fixed wheels may make that easier.

QuoteSecondly, the authors say that perceiving the illusion (not just seeing the physical wheel) causes increased alpha waves:

I can try to test that! Perfect excuse to hook up my neurosky again.

Cool!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Interesting. I wonder if this is related to the buddhist "wall staring" where you get swimmy 'artifacts' like that.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

rong

I would bet this has something to do with the brain's sampling rate.  The article states that alpha waves are generally around 10Hz.  I believe early films were made at 24 frames per second (Hz). 

Google Nyquist sampling rate or Shannon Sampling theorem for more in depth description.

But I'm thinking the rate that the image flashes for an individual is directly related to that individual's own sampling rate.

Another good indication of your own brain's sampling rate is the illusion of wagon wheels appearing to slow down and change direction as they actually increase in speed.

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: rong on August 25, 2013, 12:23:17 PM
I would bet this has something to do with the brain's sampling rate.  The article states that alpha waves are generally around 10Hz.  I believe early films were made at 24 frames per second (Hz). 

Google Nyquist sampling rate or Shannon Sampling theorem for more in depth description.

But I'm thinking the rate that the image flashes for an individual is directly related to that individual's own sampling rate.

Another good indication of your own brain's sampling rate is the illusion of wagon wheels appearing to slow down and change direction as they actually increase in speed.
Huh. 3 days ago  I was just thinking about my vision refresh rate.
Interesting subject.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

rong

glad you found it interesting.  that last post was via phone, so i didn't want to put the time in to talk about nyquist sampling rate, but . . . now i'm at my lappy 386 and will add (for those who don't like to google things) that the nyquist sampling rate is double the highest frequency in the signal.  the shannon sampling theorem states that, in order to perfectly reconstruct a sampled signal, it must have been sampled at the nyquist sampling rate - or double the highest frequency present.

if you try to reconstruct a signal that was sampled at a lower rate, then you get something called aliasing.  I believe the wagon wheels appearing to turn backwards is an example of aliasing.

24 frames per second (Hz) was figured out to be fast enough to trick the brain into perceiving fluid motion instead of the appearance of discrete still shots.  I think it's relevant that 24 Hz is slightly more than double 10 Hz (the frequency of Alpha Waves).  BUT - this isn't quite what shannon's sampling theorem is about.  In this case, the signal being sampled is double the sampling frequency - kind of shannon's theorem backwards.

i had an acquaintance who speculated that certain psychedelics slow down the brain's frame rate (which I believe is akin to the brain's sampling rate) and that your brain "fills in the gaps" between samples.  This was where, he believed, hallucinations came from.  With a lower frame rate, you have longer gaps to fill in. 

One thing I've noticed pertaining to my vision's refresh rate is that whenever I first look at a clock with a second hand.  the first tick on the second hand seems to take a lot longer - in a sense it appears the clock was waiting for me to look at it before it started ticking and it takes the clock a little while to notice.  I know this isn't the case, but i think this has something to do with how my brain's "video card" works.

As an aside:
What about music, you say?  Can't people hear up to 20,000 kHz?  yes they can, but the ears are technically an analog to digital converter apparatus.  Certain parts of the ear are resonant to and excited by different frequencies.  So, you don't perceive the frequencies directly.

It would be interesting to know what the highest perceivable BPM would be.  I would guess it's somewhere around 300 BPM (300= (10Hz/2)*60 Sec)

GrannySmith

damn, i could see some vague pulsing but not really a strong flickering effect. I'm totally exhausted though, so I'll try again tomorrow...
  X  

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't want to see my brain.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Make sure you're looking far enough away from the image... maybe start near it and scan away until you get flickering.

I was intrigued by the researchers claim that the flickering increases as you do it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 26, 2013, 05:17:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2013, 05:15:30 PM
I don't want to see my brain.   :sad:

BUT YOUR BRAIN LOVES YOU!

No, no, I think it's been pretty well established that my brain hates me and is plotting to kill me. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

rong

"I used to think my brain was the most interesting part of my body.  But then I thought 'look who's telling me that' " -Emo Philips

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on August 26, 2013, 05:29:11 PM
"I used to think my brain was the most interesting part of my body.  But then I thought 'look who's telling me that' " -Emo Philips

My alpha waves probably form goatse or something, just in case I ever look.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2013, 05:29:42 PM
Quote from: rong on August 26, 2013, 05:29:11 PM

My alpha waves probably form goatse or something, just in case I ever look.

:lulz: