News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Yo dogs, writing tips by Clifford Pickover

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 23, 2013, 05:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I found these remarkably good: http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/bestseller.html

The best writing book I've ever read was actually by Stephen King, which is, in fact, the best book King ever wrote, but if you don't want to commit to reading an entire book about writing (PRO TIP: YOU SHOULD) Cliff's tips will improve your writing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Thanks! I spotted a couple mistakes I've been guilty of...

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It really is, and is one of  the biggest errors I see even fairly accomplished writers make.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I was aware of most of these, but the like/as if tip was something I had forgotten. Thanks. :)
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cramulus

Cliff Pickover is one of my favorite dudes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I emailed him once and he emailed me back, causing me to wet myself and squeal like a fangirl.

Bu🤠ns

McGrupp

Good tips. I especially love number 10.

I had an english teacher for creative writing in highschool who seemed to hate the word said. He would make us quip, and opine, retort, and a million other things that made it harder to read. Drove me nuts. Glad that said is getting some love.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: McGrupp on August 26, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

I had an english teacher for creative writing in highschool who seemed to hate the word said. He would make us quip, and opine, retort, and a million other things that made it harder to read. Drove me nuts. Glad that said is getting some love.

I'm still in love with "mumbled" "laughed" "stuttered" "bellowed" and the like.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on August 26, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

That one really gets me. I always had the hardest time writing dialogue, and then I read that tip in "On Writing", and I was like, OH. Totally.

I am not much for writing dialogue anyway because I don't really write fiction, but yep. Vast improvement.