News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

LessWrongWiki: What the hell are they talking about?

Started by LMNO, August 27, 2013, 04:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on September 03, 2013, 06:25:22 AM
Quote from: Kim Jong Jesus on September 03, 2013, 05:13:22 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 03, 2013, 05:04:15 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on September 01, 2013, 10:03:36 PM

QuoteThe Girl Named Florida problem is usually preceded by an easier problem that goes as follows:

Suppose you know that a family with two children has at least one girl. What is the probability that this family has two girls?

Now for the Girl Named Florida problem:

Suppose you know that a family with two children has at least one girl named Florida. What is the probability that this family has two girls?

Bolded the part I read past over and over again.

I'm still missing it. I thought that at least one girl was a given. The probability of the gender of the second child is independent of that. Are we talking about the at least one girl problem or the girl named Florida problem?

Both problems appear to be the same question. They are identical. The name of the "at least one girl" is irrelevant. The only difference between the two questions are the two words "named Florida".

Fair. I'm still not getting it though. Family has two kids. At least one of them is a girl. That means that the options are:
1 girl, 1 boy
2 girls

We already know that the family has one girl, so the probability is the gender of the second child only, no? I'm missing Gogira's revelation entirely. Since the one child being a girl is part of the priors, that brings the probability of to girls up to 50%, not 25% or 60%?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on September 03, 2013, 06:25:22 AM

QuoteThe Girl Named Florida problem is usually preceded by an easier problem that goes as follows:

Suppose you know that a family with two children has at least one girl. What is the probability that this family has two girls?

Suppose you know that a family with two children has at least one girl named Florida. What is the probability that this family has two girls?

I'm still missing it. I thought that at least one girl was a given. The probability of the gender of the second child is independent of that. Are we talking about the at least one girl problem or the girl named Florida problem?

Both problems appear to be the same question. They are identical. The name of the "at least one girl" is irrelevant. The only difference between the two questions are the two words "named Florida".

Thanks Nigel, I couldn't figure out any difference between the two questions when I read this thread yesterday and my brain started leaking out of my ear.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Q. G. Pennyworth

Yeah, I screwed up and thought that the
Quote from: Kim Jong Jesus on September 03, 2013, 06:36:50 AM

Fair. I'm still not getting it though. Family has two kids. At least one of them is a girl. That means that the options are:
1 girl, 1 boy
2 girls

We already know that the family has one girl, so the probability is the gender of the second child only, no? I'm missing Gogira's revelation entirely. Since the one child being a girl is part of the priors, that brings the probability of to girls up to 50%, not 25% or 60%?

All of them are 50% because there's no difference between the two sentences as far as the genders are concerned. I screwed up and read the first sentence without the "one of them is a girl" part, which would make it "one family has two kids and you have no information about either gender." Because I am a moron.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Hrmmm... so I googled this and there seems to be all sorts of debate.

So far I am most swayed by the 50% argument. However, I did find an argument for WHY the name Florida would change the probabilities. Florida is an uncommon name. Therefore there is a higher probability of a girl being named Florida if there are two girls, rather that one.

That is Boy/Girl(Florida) or Girl(Florida)/Boy are supposedly less likely than Girl/Girl (Florida) or Girl(Florida)/Girl.

I don't know if I agree with that, but it at least provides some rationale for the additional piece of data.

ETA:
Another argument:

For the first question we have the options:
Boy/Girl, Girl/Girl, Girl/Boy

So 1/3 chance that the second child is a girl.

For the second question we have the following options:
Boy/Girl named Florida, Girl Named Florida/Boy, Girl/Girl Named Florida, Girl Named Florida/Girl.

So 2/4 (1/2) chance that the second child is a girl.

Though that seems kinda shady to me since Girl/Girl is just being counted twice.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 03, 2013, 11:59:01 AM

So far I am most swayed by the 50% argument. However, I did find an argument for WHY the name Florida would change the probabilities. Florida is an uncommon name. Therefore there is a higher probability of a girl being named Florida if there are two girls, rather that one.

That is Boy/Girl(Florida) or Girl(Florida)/Boy are supposedly less likely than Girl/Girl (Florida) or Girl(Florida)/Girl.

I don't know if I agree with that, but it at least provides some rationale for the additional piece of data.

ETA:
Another argument:

Boy/Girl named Florida, Girl Named Florida/Boy, Girl/Girl Named Florida, Girl Named Florida/Girl.

Though that seems kinda shady to me since Girl/Girl is just being counted twice.

That logic is erroneous because the fact that the girl is named Florida is given. The commonness or uncommonness of the name has zero bearing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

ETA:
Another argument:

So is Girl/Boy in the 1/3 chance. The position of the girl has no bearing. They're not asking that. Girl/Boy is the same as Boy/Girl.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 03, 2013, 11:04:37 AM
Yeah, I screwed up and thought that the
Quote from: Kim Jong Jesus on September 03, 2013, 06:36:50 AM

1 girl, 1 boy
2 girls

All of them are 50% because there's no difference between the two sentences as far as the genders are concerned. I screwed up and read the first sentence without the "one of them is a girl" part, which would make it "one family has two kids and you have no information about either gender." Because I am a moron.

Gotcha. I was confused as to where you were coming from and thought that I was wrong about the 50%

LMNO

Reframe: Coin flips.

Round 1:
Heads 1/2
Tails 1/2

Round 2
Heads Heads 1/4
Heads Tails 1/4
Tails Heads 1/4
Tails Tails 1/4

But in this case, the order doesn't matter.

So,
Heads Heads 1/4
[Hails Teads] 2/4
Tails Tails 1/4

So the chance of two girls is 25%?

... Did I totally get a different answer here?  Goddammit.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on September 03, 2013, 04:12:29 PM

ETA:
Another argument:

That logic is erroneous because the fact that the girl is named Florida is given. The commonness or uncommonness of the name has zero bearing.

That's what I thought as well, however it seems to be a popular argument on the many blogs where this problem is discussed. In fact at this site: http://bblais.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/there-once-was-girl-named-florida-aka.html Someone actually wrote a simulation and a formal analysis on the point.

I don't know enough to say that I agree, only that it seems pretty damn weird  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Both questions, as they are worded, are "what is the probability that the other child is a girl?"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 03, 2013, 04:42:02 PM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on September 03, 2013, 04:12:29 PM

ETA:
Another argument:

That's what I thought as well, however it seems to be a popular argument on the many blogs where this problem is discussed. In fact at this site: http://bblais.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/there-once-was-girl-named-florida-aka.html Someone actually wrote a simulation and a formal analysis on the point.

I don't know enough to say that I agree, only that it seems pretty damn weird  :lulz:

It may be a common argument, but it's a stupid one because he is answering a different question.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 03, 2013, 04:41:46 PM
Reframe: Coin flips.

Round 1:
Heads 1/2
Tails 1/2

Round 2
Heads Heads 1/4
Heads Tails 1/4
Tails Heads 1/4
Tails Tails 1/4

But in this case, the order doesn't matter.

So,
Heads Heads 1/4
[Hails Teads] 2/4
Tails Tails 1/4

So the chance of two girls is 25%?

... Did I totally get a different answer here?  Goddammit.

You got the right math for the wrong problem, I missed a key phrase in the question and I think I've hopelessly confused the thread  :oops:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Let me put it this way: Once you have a given, the probability of the given is 100%. It is no longer a factor in the calculation for the probability of the not-given.

LMNO

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on September 03, 2013, 04:44:28 PM
Both questions, as they are worded, are "what is the probability that the other child is a girl?"

Yes, and when you're given the information that one of them is a girl, the question moves from "what are the chances that a child is born a girl," and becomes "What are the chances that two children are both born girls?" 

Or, in other words, you're asked about two coin flips, not just one.

If I flip a coin four times, the sequence of flips has 1/16 chance of happening.  But if I ask what the chances of any given flip, then it's 1/2.

And if I ask the odds of the total amount of heads v tails, that's another probability entirely.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For the record, that is the kind of question that is given in statistics classes to train students to disregard extraneous data. As this thread illustrates perfectly, one of the challenges in statistics is to answer the question that is actually being posed and not the question that you think is being posed.