News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Science and morality

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh my god, the opportunity for pissing people off with this is TREMENDOUS!

http://www.nature.com/news/just-thinking-about-science-triggers-moral-behavior-1.13616

QuotePublic opinion towards science has made headlines over the past several years for a variety of reasons — mostly negative. High profile cases of academic dishonesty and disputes over funding have left many questioning the integrity and societal value of basic science, while accusations of politically motivated research fly from left and right. There is little doubt that science is value-laden. Allegiances to theories and ideologies can skew the kinds of hypotheses tested and the methods used to test them. These, however, are errors in the application of the method, not the method itself. In other words, it's possible that public opinion towards science more generally might be relatively unaffected by the misdeeds and biases of individual scientists. In fact, given the undeniable benefits scientific progress yielded, associations with the process of scientific inquiry may be quite positive.

Researchers at the University of California Santa Barbara set out to test this possibility. They hypothesized that there is a deep-seated perception of science as a moral pursuit — its emphasis on truth-seeking, impartiality and rationality privileges collective well-being above all else. Their new study, published in the journal PLOSOne, argues that the association between science and morality is so ingrained that merely thinking about it can trigger more moral behavior.

Of course, the militant atheist reaction is also sure to be insufferable.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I know JUST WHERE TO USE THIS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

We need an evil hand-wringing emote.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on August 27, 2013, 08:50:44 PM

Yes. Yes we do. Or just a picture of Little Orange.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 09:00:35 PM

That pic of all 4 kids, shoop her out on her own.  Because that look was CHILLING.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 09:00:35 PM

That pic of all 4 kids, shoop her out on her own.  Because that look was CHILLING.

She gets that look a lot.

If anyone wants to do that, go for it! I lack suitable shoop facilities.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 09:42:20 PM

I will have windows 7 back in about 2 weeks.  I'll get it then.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 09:49:49 PM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 09:42:20 PM

I will have windows 7 back in about 2 weeks.  I'll get it then.

Sweet!

Kai

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 08:26:45 PM
Oh my god, the opportunity for pissing people off with this is TREMENDOUS!

http://www.nature.com/news/just-thinking-about-science-triggers-moral-behavior-1.13616

QuotePublic opinion towards science has made headlines over the past several years for a variety of reasons — mostly negative. High profile cases of academic dishonesty and disputes over funding have left many questioning the integrity and societal value of basic science, while accusations of politically motivated research fly from left and right. There is little doubt that science is value-laden. Allegiances to theories and ideologies can skew the kinds of hypotheses tested and the methods used to test them. These, however, are errors in the application of the method, not the method itself. In other words, it's possible that public opinion towards science more generally might be relatively unaffected by the misdeeds and biases of individual scientists. In fact, given the undeniable benefits scientific progress yielded, associations with the process of scientific inquiry may be quite positive.

Researchers at the University of California Santa Barbara set out to test this possibility. They hypothesized that there is a deep-seated perception of science as a moral pursuit — its emphasis on truth-seeking, impartiality and rationality privileges collective well-being above all else. Their new study, published in the journal PLOSOne, argues that the association between science and morality is so ingrained that merely thinking about it can trigger more moral behavior.

Of course, the militant atheist reaction is also sure to be insufferable.  :lulz:

I agree with the premise but I'm not sure the experiments they conducted lead to the conclusion. I don't have a psychology background to judge it.

The knowledge we gain through science doesn't seem to be in itself moral, but the way scientists go about pursuing that knowledge (i.e. scientific methods) are explicitly moral as they prescribe particular actions from shared values. That said, there are cheaters in every moral enterprise.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 27, 2013, 10:55:20 PM
Fusion, for example.

Or arsenic-based life forms. Or "vaccines cause autism". Or the whole field of Evolutionary Psychology.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish