News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

RWHN has straight up said we should ignore him. For the record, I'm taking him up on the advice - its about the only suggestion he's made which I feel has any more substance than, well... 'nope'.

(I do LOVE those cat reaction shots though, Nigel. They're great RWHN-replacements  :lulz:)
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 07, 2013, 04:51:28 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 04:48:56 PM
No, RWHN is telling is, we're supposed to feel offended. Never mind that I and every black person I know loved it precisely because it made a mockery of the backup-dancer-as-prop trope. He knows better.

And the black people collaborating with her just don't know any better. It's a good think they have Huffpo and RWHN to explain what they should be feeling.

I was just about to post ailment about that, and that he is basically telling any PoC who isn't iffended that they just dint understand how they have been insulted by Miley Cyrus. it's very fucking patronizing, but par for him.

Yeah well, y'know. He's here to tell us little people how to think.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 07, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
RWHN has straight up said we should ignore him. For the record, I'm taking him up on the advice - its about the only suggestion he's made which I feel has any more substance than, well... 'nope'.

(I do LOVE those cat reaction shots though, Nigel. They're great RWHN-replacements  :lulz:)

As soon as you said that thing about "nope" I was like, damn, that's spot-on! It's all he ever says, when you boil it right down.

And you're right about ignoring him, I just get lured in by the temptation of mocking his sheer condescending idiocy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

No, RWHN is telling is, we're supposed to feel offended. Never mind that I and every black person I know loved it precisely because it made a mockery of the backup-dancer-as-prop trope. He knows better.

And the black people collaborating with her, like Kanye and Mike WiLL Made-It just don't know any better. It's a good thing they have Huffpo and RWHN to explain what they should be feeling.

Compare:

Case 1:  For several years, Justin Timberlake carted around a large quantity of Black men, whose purpose was to go on stage before him and sing about how "real" Justin Timberlake is.  This was deliberate.

Case 2:  For several years, P!nk's back up band was exclusively Black.  Her BFF extra in "get the party started" was Black, as were most of her BFF extras in most videos.  This may or may not have been deliberate.

Miley Cyrus gets a bunch of Black people in on the joke, namely making fun of using Black people as a prop.  This was deliberate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 04:55:59 PM

And the black people collaborating with her just don't know any better. It's a good think they have Huffpo and RWHN to explain what they should be feeling.

I was just about to post ailment about that, and that he is basically telling any PoC who isn't iffended that they just dint understand how they have been insulted by Miley Cyrus. it's very fucking patronizing, but par for him.

Someone has to protect everyone, and he's the SGitR.  People trap him into this sort of thing, you see.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:00:36 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 04:55:59 PM

Someone has to protect everyone, and he's the SGitR.  People trap him into this sort of thing, you see.

Those two hipsters on that post are RWHN's children all grown up.

Ben Shapiro

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 03:12:20 PM
An interesting thing about the fairly limited efforts of some media elements to make Miley Cyrus out to be racist; they cry "appropriation" and "exploitation" but the real problem seems to be that Cyrus is not appropriating but embracing, and that, too, makes people uncomfortable. I am all for making people uncomfortable, and even RWHN is clearly made uncomfortable, as evidenced by the fact that he's still arguing that we're all wrong about this, even though what the "this" is that we're wrong about seems to shift a bit every few pages.

It's making people uncomfortable and it's making a lot of people talk about music industry culture, racism, and patriarchy, and that's a good thing, IMO.

The way they're using "appropriation" just *might* be their way of saying "race traitor".
I have to think about this.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 07, 2013, 04:33:01 PM
Been thinking about this.  When, exactly, has a backup dancer not been used as a prop?  The entire job is to enhance the spectacle, not be an individual with agency.

Timberland videos.  Example:  His bits/cameos in Head of State.

Find 3 White girls that can't dance.  Have them attempt to dance to a rap that nobody can dance to, and make sure they dance fast if the beat is slow.

They aren't props, they're the main attraction.  When you watch Timberland's stuff, you have this weird feeling, like you're standing on your head or something.  It's like Leslie Gore on a bag of bad crank.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on October 07, 2013, 05:49:35 PM
An interesting thing about the fairly limited efforts of some media elements to make Miley Cyrus out to be racist; they cry "appropriation" and "exploitation" but the real problem seems to be that Cyrus is not appropriating but embracing, and that, too, makes people uncomfortable. I am all for making people uncomfortable, and even RWHN is clearly made uncomfortable, as evidenced by the fact that he's still arguing that we're all wrong about this, even though what the "this" is that we're wrong about seems to shift a bit every few pages.

It's making people uncomfortable and it's making a lot of people talk about music industry culture, racism, and patriarchy, and that's a good thing, IMO.

The way they're using "appropriation" just *might* be their way of saying "race traitor".

That's more of the vibe that I'm getting. I've seen a couple of blog posts by black women who were offended, but they also didn't recognize the parody angle. Which is amazing, after the Miley-spanking-a-black-dwarf-dancer scene. The problem seems to be, nobody who's being so critical of Cyrus "using" black people seems to be interested in what the black people she's working with have to say, and the fact that she is collaborating with black people as equals and friends, and that Mike WiLL Made-It, as her producer, is intimately involved with all of the stage scenery, including the big-butted black dancers. But people want it both ways; that she IS in creative control and therefore responsible for exploiting black performers, and that she ISN'T in creative control, but rather that her producer is pulling the strings on her like a puppet. But her producer is a black man, and that generates a pretty intense cognitive dissonance, which is why they can't stop screeching all this self-contradictory noise. All they know is that she's BAD, although they can't seem to nail down why. BAD, and NOTHING SPECIAL AT ALL.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: stelz on October 07, 2013, 05:49:35 PM

ZING ME! LOOK AT HER SHAKING HER FANNY!

AFK

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 07, 2013, 04:55:36 PM

(I do LOVE those cat reaction shots though, Nigel. They're great RWHN-replacements  :lulz: )

Pfft!  I post an opinion and you guys go on about it for pages.  For better or for worse, I am a content generator. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Oh shit!  He has an opinion, that must mean he wants us all to have his opinion.  Get him!

AFK

ook ook!  Someone with wrong opinion, QUICK! someone post kitty memes stat!