News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 09, 2013, 11:28:10 AM
No, they are more culturally significant for rap than Vanilla Ice.  Ice was a one-hit-wonder flavor-of-the month, part of a brief pop-rap movement that also included MC Hammer and MC Young.

Young MC.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 09, 2013, 12:59:35 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on October 09, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 09, 2013, 12:25:26 PM
Try understanding that an opinion on music is totally different to ignoring scientific facts about drugs.

In RWHN's world opinions and facts are the same thing - a written or verbal communique instructing him how to think. The guy is a walking appeal to authority, fuck, even his musical taste comes from journalistic "evidence" as illustrated above  :lulz:

My musical tastes come from what I like.  However, much has been written during and since the Nirvana era, as far as their immense impact on music and American culture.  You don't have to like them to recognize that, it was pretty obvious to anyone who was alive at the time.

I was alive at the time, and I was horrified.  After a decade of dealing with hair bands, I was ready for some relief...And instead got Cobain whimpering into the mic.  For fucking years.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 04:09:18 PM
At first: "I think Miley Cyrus did  that horrible thing on purpose"

RWHN: "NOPE!"

Miley Cyrus and entourage: "I did that on purpose"

RWHN: "WELL IT SUCKS ANYWAY".

That's really all  there is to what he has to say, can people stop responding to him and shitting up my thread now? I will in the future request that any RWHN posts and any responses to his posts be split from any of my threads, as he has nothing to add to the discussion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Can someone start a thread that's about whatever it is RWHN wants to talk about, and move all the posts pertaining to that there? Seems to be something about music acts that were pivotal in changing the direction of pop music or something else that I don't actually care about at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Ok, I have to weigh in here... The real driving force behind the impact of Nevermind was... Butch Vig.

He grabbed a Pixies wanna-be band, and reworked the sound until it became commercially acceptable.  He double-tracked the vocals, used click tracks for the drums, tightened up arrangements, dozens of guitar overdubs, and then calling in Andy Wallace to run all the tracks through as many effects as they could to smooth the rough edges.

Yeah, I said that Nevermind had no rough edges.  Listen to Jesus Lizard's Liar or Goat released around the same time, and you'll know what I'm talking about.  Kurt even said later that Nevermind "Looking back on the production of Nevermind, I'm embarrassed by it now. It's closer to a Mötley Crüe record than it is a punk rock record."

If Nirvana hadn't brought in Butch, Nevermind would have sounded like Bleach 2.  And gone nowhere.  Vig, who later went on to produce Smashing Pumpkins, L7, Sonic Youth (Dirty, if you couldn't guess), Soul Asylum, AFI, Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, and Foo Fighters, and of course, Garbage, found a key piece of the puzzle:  If you want to make a band mainstream, make them sound mainstream.  He showed you could take literally any band and give them commercial appeal if you took away the sharp, buzzy, uncomfortable noises, and made them smooth and palatable.

Again, if anyone wants to argue that Nevermind isn't a soothing album, I can give examples of plenty of albums released in 1991-92 that tear the pants off of that record and grinds it a new asshole.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 09, 2013, 11:37:10 AM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on October 09, 2013, 08:04:59 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 09, 2013, 03:30:49 AM
Kurt Cobain could write a hook like none of those other bands could, that is one reason they stood out.  It wasn't just noise, there was melody.  He had a great sense of melody.  I mean, really, he had a songwriting genius that few others had, or have had since.  They opened doors and paved the path for many alt-rock bands.  There hasn't been a band of that significance since.

http://www.alternet.org/story/152444/8_reasons_nirvana's_'nevermind'_is_the_most_important_rock_album_of_all_time

Thread title:  Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

RWHN posts the third example of a media music journo telling us what our opinion should be

Thread over!

What the hell is wrong with you?  Grow a pair.  You can have any damned opinion you want, I have mine. I'm doing that thing where you provide evidence to support an opinion.  You know, that thing you guys say I don't do in the drug threads. 

Jeebus people, it really is okay if people disagree with you.  Don't be so damned sensitive.

Nope. You borrow them from media music journos.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

And Nigel's right. This is two threads: One for insightful discussion about Miley and one for smacking RWHN around when we're bored.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

Gloria fucking Steinhem?

Shit just got real.

In other news, Someone mashed up "Wrecking Ball" and "Nothing Compares 2 U", and it totally works.  No troll.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Q. G. Pennyworth

I have a thing boiling about the game Miley's not playing. Would you like it here or should I put it over in the Counterpoint thread/

LMNO

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 09, 2013, 06:14:21 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 09, 2013, 06:06:53 PM
Gloria fucking Steinhem?

Shit just got real.

In other news, Someone mashed up "Wrecking Ball" and "Nothing Compares 2 U", and it totally works.  No troll.

Oh I bet Sinead's livid.   :lulz:

Everyone should check it out now, before Sinead or Prince start with the takedown notices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just noticed that Miley's nose is running in that video. That's not very pretty, Miley. As a matter of fact, I hadn't really noticed before but her lipstick is badly applied and her mascara is clumpy and coming off in flakes. Like what happens in real life, as opposed to music videos.

Oh, Miley, can't you just be a lady?