News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Nigel!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 28, 2013, 03:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

i read this http://www.2ndcouncilhouse.co.uk/blog/2013/08/27/oliver-with-a-twist-of-sage/

after a TV chef moaned about "people buying chips and cheese" on low incomes and generally coming across as being on another planet about food poverty and such

One of the things that struck me, as I was reading it was the concept of a collective kitchen. If you tied them in with food banks, enabling people with limited purchasing power to get healthy food rather than to just not feel hungry and eating the poor quality cheap convenience stuff.

It's a concept I haven't come across before and I'll be putting it forward to the community org I work with as something to explore, as well as any other people who'd be open to the idea.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 03:14:06 AM
i read this http://www.2ndcouncilhouse.co.uk/blog/2013/08/27/oliver-with-a-twist-of-sage/

after a TV chef moaned about "people buying chips and cheese" on low incomes and generally coming across as being on another planet about food poverty and such

One of the things that struck me, as I was reading it was the concept of a collective kitchen. If you tied them in with food banks, enabling people with limited purchasing power to get healthy food rather than to just not feel hungry and eating the poor quality cheap convenience stuff.

It's a concept I haven't come across before and I'll be putting it forward to the community org I work with as something to explore, as well as any other people who'd be open to the idea.

I like the idea quite a bit, and it also ties in with an idea I had a while ago about home-ec coaches for adults, teaching free classes on budgeting as well as shopping for and cooking healthy foods on a shoestring, for people who never learned those skills as young people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The blog referenced a common myth (or at least a myth in the US... it may be false in the UK) which is the idea that prepackaged crap food calories are "the most expensive". They aren't, at all; in the US those crap calories are so heavily subsidized that they are, calorie per penny, generally the cheapest food to be had. See also http://cheeseburgerexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-two.html
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 28, 2013, 05:26:58 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 28, 2013, 03:14:06 AM

I like the idea quite a bit, and it also ties in with an idea I had a while ago about home-ec coaches for adults, teaching free classes on budgeting as well as shopping for and cooking healthy foods on a shoestring, for people who never learned those skills as young people.

yup. In the UK somewhere in a village Oop North they started guerilla gardening all the verges and public spaces and even people's gardens and started food sharing. you tie that kind of concept in with the whole thing and it could be even more awesome.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 28, 2013, 05:31:32 AM
The blog referenced a common myth (or at least a myth in the US... it may be false in the UK) which is the idea that prepackaged crap food calories are "the most expensive". They aren't, at all; in the US those crap calories are so heavily subsidized that they are, calorie per penny, generally the cheapest food to be had. See also http://cheeseburgerexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/10/day-two.html

I was at my lowest weight for 10 years when i worked at burger king. I refused to eat the fried chicken shit and basically stocked up on cheeseburgers from my free meal allowance. the bacon double was a unappealing after a while, but a double cheeseburger was less fatty. I was also moving at a rapid as fuck pace whilst on the job.

Pope Pixie Pickle

the kids meals were also a great option as you could get OJ and a cheeseburger and a fruit bag.