News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Asabiyyah all up in this joint.

Started by LMNO, August 28, 2013, 04:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I was reading me some Krugman, and wouldn't you know I ran into this:

QuoteIbn Khaldun uses the term Asabiyyah to describe the bond of cohesion among humans in a group forming community. The bond, Asabiyyah, exists at any level of civilization, from nomadic society to states and empires. Asabiyyah is most strong in the nomadic phase, and decreases as civilization advances. As this Asabiyyah declines, another more compelling Asabiyyah may take its place; thus, civilizations rise and fall, and history describes these cycles of Asabiyyah as they play out.

Ibn Khaldun argues that each dynasty (or civilization) has within itself the seeds of its own downfall. He explains that ruling houses tend to emerge on the peripheries of great empires and use the much stronger `asabiyya present in those areas to their advantage, in order to bring about a change in leadership. This implies that the new rulers are at first considered "barbarians" by comparison to the old ones. As they establish themselves at the center of their empire, they become increasingly lax, less coordinated, disciplined and watchful, and more concerned with maintaining their new power and lifestyle at the centre of the empire—i.e, their internal cohesion and ties to the original peripheral group, the `asabiyya, dissolves into factionalism and individualism, diminishing their capacity as a political unit. Thus, conditions are created wherein a new dynasty can emerge at the periphery of their control, grow strong, and effect a change in leadership, beginning the cycle anew.

We've been doing some talk about tribalism, nations, decoherence, and the collapse of political parties.  It's interesting to see it from this angle.

Nephew Twiddleton

Hmmm.... Will have to look into this some more.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

-

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tarod

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2013, 07:42:43 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 28, 2013, 07:41:41 PM
Quote from: Brother Nihil on August 28, 2013, 07:27:00 PM
spiritual renewal through tribalism, religion and war

Who the what, now?

Humans.

The troll has the right idea, here.

Great another crusades... no fuck that shit. Not disagreeing that it could happen, but you'll pry my science and tech from my cold dead hands before I put up with another dark ages. Bureaucratic systems always have holes at least.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tarod on August 29, 2013, 12:28:06 AM

Who the what, now?

Humans.

Great another crusades... no fuck that shit. Not disagreeing that it could happen, but you'll pry my science and tech from my cold dead hands before I put up with another dark ages. Bureaucratic systems always have holes at least.

No painless dentistry for YOU.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ixxie

Very cool stuff. I added this guy to my reading list.

I am reading Gould now, and his idea of punctuated equilibrium is a nice parallel in evolutionary theory. Species and Ecologies reach stasis with very little change - and then *something* perturbs it and it collapses - with a lot of adaptive change following. Similarly - Boom and Bust cycles in economics and paradigm shifts in scholarship. There is imo a deeper underlying parallel in the dynamics - these all involve network structures which evolve into scale-free / small-world structures with major hubs. The hubs by definition exert a lot of influence - but conversely they are also heavily exposed to influx of information, resources and manipulation, and thus have high exposure to potential Black Swans. I agree with Taleb when he argues big things are more fragile. I also have to think of Laotzu in this context - especially the second half of the Dao De Jing.

"In Shadow - we find the Light - Safely Sealed in Darkest Night, so make Sure Ya'll Keep it Tight. Wizards Only - Fools!"

tyrannosaurus vex

An interesting perspective on the rise and fall of civilizations. Isn't it this sort of the cycle that modern "democracy" is designed to regulate, though, by providing a frequent opportunity for new rulers to come to power within the context of persistent States and institutions? It was always my understanding that the idea was to relieve the pressure of incompetent rulers and popular discontent in a way that allows revolutions to occur without shaking the foundations of a society. Which of course doesn't really contradict Krugman here, or fix the problem, since we have a tendency even when designing a system like the one we have now, to make sure that "the Others" don't eventually end up ruling the place. So in effect even that context of a resilient State is more or less just one policy of a particular ruling class that is, ultimately, as susceptible to overthrow as any other.

This is some pretty good analysis by Krugman. Ibn Khaldun was a genius; he's mostly popular with right wingers, because his concept of Asabiyyah fits well with a tribal or vitalist vision of civilization. It's fairly apparent to me that we live in one of those fin de siècle periods where a decadent political class no longer has strong asabiyyah behind it, and new groups of barbarians with more cohesive ideologies are challenging their power. This is true not only with the Tea Party crowd in America, but in the Arab world with the Muslim Brotherhood and more radical groups.
I'm not entirely convinced of this. There are always Barbarians outside the gates. That's the nature of civilization, especially now as we are all conditioned to believe that "The End is Nigh." Not that we're not dangling by a thread over a chasm of ruin -- we are, but we always have been.

QuotePersonally I think liberal civilization is probably on its way out, and we are looking at the onset of a new dark age. It's either that or some kind of Orwellian technocratic New World Order. I'm undecided about which one I prefer -- on the one hand, the NWO will probably be more comfortable and orderly; on the other hand, spiritual renewal through tribalism, religion and war has a certain appeal....
If we do go one of those ways, my money's on Dark Age. We just don't have the motivation to construct giant futuristic cities with no sunlight and flying cars.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 29, 2013, 02:43:04 AM
Quote from: tarod on August 29, 2013, 12:28:06 AM

Who the what, now?

Humans.

No painless dentistry for YOU.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Personally, I think we'll just continue to stumble along incompetently as a species. Occasionally something will break through and everyone will believe its a turning point for a bit, then right back into them drunken shambling. Even with the 'Dark Ages', it wasn't like we had a planet full of enlightened people that suddenly went to pot. It was just humans falling over themselves while trying to figure out how to get as much power as possible.

Sometimes, I think we know so little actual facts about our history that we're constantly comparing our present and future to a myth. Were people truly horribly ignorant during the Dark Ages? Probably not. The people that planted and cared for crops were likely quite intelligent on the topics they needed to survive, same for the hunters and the herbalists. Did they know the world was round, or did they believe it was flat? Who the hell cared? If they weren't getting ready to sail off into the sunrise, then such knowledge had no impact on their life. The more we learn about our ancestors, the more we realize that maybe they weren't as stupid as the Victorian Era Historians made them out to be.

I doubt we'll go into another 'Dark Age', I doubt we'll all become dystopian serfs just like I doubt Atlas will Shrug or we'll all somehow find that Brave New World. Maybe we'll get bits and pieces from such fiction, a bit of authoritarian dystopia here, a bit of a utopian glimmer of hope there, a few Randites running off to the woods, while some crazy religious nuts persecutes some other people over imaginary stone age deities.

That's why I think its best just to find and enjoy the things that gets you off and some awesome people to share them with. :fnord:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson