News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Experimental new technology has absolutely no potential downside:

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, August 28, 2013, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 12, 2013, 06:55:06 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on September 12, 2013, 06:33:15 PM
With the small size and adhesiveness, you could also easily track others, or the belonging of others.

That's a whole realm of potential criminal benefits. Once the range expands it's going to get even better/easier.

Bingo! That's exactly where my mind went. "Holy Heck, they're selling national tracking devices!!!"

But you already HAVE ONE. Unless you're letting the batteries run dry or you're storing it in a faraday cage, your phone's tracking you all the time.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 06:58:20 PM
With the small size and adhesiveness, you could also easily track others, or the belonging of others.

That's a whole realm of potential criminal benefits. Once the range expands it's going to get even better/easier.

Bingo! That's exactly where my mind went. "Holy Heck, they're selling national tracking devices!!!"

But you already HAVE ONE. Unless you're letting the batteries run dry or you're storing it in a faraday cage, your phone's tracking you all the time.

No no, that one only the NSA can track, with these I CAN TRACK a target.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Junkenstein

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 12, 2013, 07:00:08 PM

Exactly. Slip one in someone's bag and you could easily track down an exact address. Or workplace. Or person.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 12, 2013, 07:07:06 PM

Exactly. Slip one in someone's bag and you could easily track down an exact address. Or workplace. Or person.

Magnet + Super Glue= Car tracker
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

McGrupp

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 12, 2013, 07:13:19 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on September 12, 2013, 07:07:06 PM

Magnet + Super Glue= Car tracker

Despite the unsettling potential for misuse, I still want one shaped like a bat. With a blinking red light as well.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pæs

Countdown to someone reverse engineering the tile detection and developing a map of valuables in their area.

Junkenstein

The best part is, the tech is HERE. It's just going to get better and cheaper. Want to know where ALL THE THINGS AND PEOPLE ARE ALL THE TIME? In the future, you can! 

And this will be abused in no way, whatsoever!

Pæs

BECOME A TILE EMPLOYEE. SELL A GLOBAL MAP OF VALUABLE THINGS.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Pæs on September 12, 2013, 11:24:09 PM
BECOME A TILE EMPLOYEE. SELL A GLOBAL MAP OF VALUABLE THINGS.

MOSTLY KEYS AND THUMB DRIVES.

But, yeah, see where you guys are going there. I guess I focus too hard on the physically tracking me aspect.

Junkenstein

Well, it is a tracking you thing too. It's small and cheap enough to plant on someone if you were inclined. Keys and thumb drives can be potential goldmines too. If you know the target particularly. Journalists?

Knowledge is power to a degree and the creation of new data opens up a lot of new avenues to profit from it. Exploitation of said data is a given.