News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Twid does Foundry missions on Star Trek Online

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, August 29, 2013, 04:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So, people who play STO can make user generated missions. They are limited to 40 (48 if subscribed) missions. Assume 48. If I approach my limit, I will subscribe. But I'm looking for an overall story arc. STO takes place in 2409, btw.  (Voyager returns to Alpha Quadrant in 2378, Nemesis takes place in 2379, and Romulus is destroyed in 2387. The Romulan Republic is a recent thing, as an example)

Things I want to address:
The Federation is not the utopia you think it is.
You remember those random aliens that showed up in one episode? Well, they're back. I'm thinking First Federation, a newly warp capable Magna Roma (Roman Empire with 20th century technology as visited by Kirk), Humans were abducted by the Skaggarans and successfully rebelled as cowboys but were encountered by Archer's Enterprise, that sort of thing. Feel free to recommend more.
Risa is a Boring Planet to go to. So is Andoria. So is Vulcan. So is, for that matter, Earth. Let's change that.
A torn Romulan Republic- they want to be independent, but there is an undercurrent of reunification with Vulcan.
Federation Civil War in the future. Some sort of temporal displacement and holy shit, and what do we do when we get home, now that we know what will happen...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Oh, and remember that planet that Riker went to and had to have sex with the nurse to escape, and for once he was actually reluctant to have sex with an alien? Yeah, they were on the verge of warp capability. I'm thinking Riker's bastard kid there.... First contact sort of mission (we can reference but not show established Star Trek characters). Hey, my dad's an alien. Are you those aliens? If not, can you put me in touch?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 29, 2013, 04:58:19 AM
Oh, and remember that planet that Riker went to and had to have sex with the nurse to escape, and for once he was actually reluctant to have sex with an alien?

Riker is a Goddamn sissy.

I will fuck those little grey big-headed bastards.  SOBER.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 29, 2013, 05:21:59 AM
Oh, and remember that planet that Riker went to and had to have sex with the nurse to escape, and for once he was actually reluctant to have sex with an alien?

I am thinking of injecting a healthy does of Trek parody in there.

For example, I want to do one mission where, for some reason, you have to host a Kirk family reunion, and like 30% of the attendees are totally human, and 100% of them hit on you. Except for one Cardassian, who is Elim Garak's kid, since he's a crazy pansexual spy who happens to be there to get some from some Kirk.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 29, 2013, 05:25:47 AM

For example, I want to do one mission where, for some reason, you have to host a Kirk family reunion, and like 30% of the attendees are totally human, and 100% of them hit on you. Except for one Cardassian, who is Elim Garak's kid, since he's a crazy pansexual spy who happens to be there to get some from some Kirk.

I get the Kirk thing.

The rest means nothing to me.

Classic Star Trek or GTFO.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 29, 2013, 05:28:43 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 29, 2013, 05:25:47 AM

I get the Kirk thing.

The rest means nothing to me.

Classic Star Trek or GTFO.

Elim Garak was a character on DS9. He was supposedly a (Cardassian) tailor civilian, but always with an (off the bat) hint that he was a Cardassian spy. Turned out that a) that assumption was correct. b) that no where near told his whole story.

But the best, best, best part, is that he was perhaps the closest character to get to Gene Roddenberry's promise of a gay character, which he promised and failed to deliver upon with Next Generation.

Let me see if I can find the link. The producers told the guy who played Garak to tone the sexuality down. He was trying to be progressive where Star Trek was stalling.

Nephew Twiddleton

Well, here's one about Garak talking about the utopia that is the Federation, while I keep searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmcGUUSPvKM

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 29, 2013, 05:39:31 AM
Well, here's one about Garak talking about the utopia that is the Federation, while I keep searching.

That's actually kind of brilliant.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 29, 2013, 05:46:18 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 29, 2013, 05:39:31 AM

That's actually kind of brilliant.

Post TNG is not as friendly to the UFP. It's still friendly but here's another awesome bit:

Can't find a good clip, but here's the quote, also from DS9:

Quote from: Michael EddingtonThe Federation's more insidious than the Borg. At least the Borg tell you they're going to assimilate you. The Federation assimilates entire races, and they don't even realize it..

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok. Go from 1:20 up until about 3:08, where the commentator starts talking again and ruining the moment. Then fast forward to 4:00 and go on to 4:10. The guy who plays Garak flat out said that this was intended, on his part, to be a homosexual flirtation, where it wasn't scripted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Bp0-TMo78

Telarus

Awesome. Garak was one of the best DS9 characters.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on August 29, 2013, 05:02:35 PM
Awesome. Garak was one of the best DS9 characters.

He and Quark were my two favorites.

LMNO

Quark?  You me the, "I'm totally not a Jewish stereotype, no, really" guy?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 29, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
Quark?  You me the, "I'm totally not a Jewish stereotype, no, really" guy?

Yep. There's more to him than that, and he comes out the hero often enough.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, when it was airing, I was unaware of that particular stereotype. I always figured he was supposed to be more of a stark contrast to the post-capitalist Federation, as were all Ferengi. I believe they were likened to Yankee traders when they were introduced.