News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

water on mars?!

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 01:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

really?!?  :)

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2014.html

QuoteThe presence of liquid water is a requirement of habitability on a planet. Possible indicators of liquid surface water on Mars include intermittent flow-like features observed on sloping terrains. These recurring slope lineae are narrow, dark markings on steep slopes that appear and incrementally lengthen during warm seasons on low-albedo surfaces. The lineae fade in cooler seasons and recur over multiple Mars years. Recurring slope lineae were initially reported to appear and lengthen at mid-latitudes in the late southern spring and summer and are more common on equator-facing slopes where and when the peak surface temperatures are higher. Here we report extensive activity of recurring slope lineae in equatorial regions of Mars, particularly in the deep canyons of Valles Marineris, from analysis of data acquired by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. We observe the lineae to be most active in seasons when the slopes often face the sun. Expected peak temperatures suggest that activity may not depend solely on temperature. Although the origin of the recurring slope lineae remains an open question, our observations are consistent with intermittent flow of briny water. Such an origin suggests surprisingly abundant liquid water in some near-surface equatorial regions of Mars.

X  

The Good Reverend Roger

Still no horrible tentacle beasts with death rays and giant walking robots.

:sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 01:38:55 AM
Still no horrible tentacle beasts with death rays and giant walking robots.

:sad:
Give me a few years of living there, I haven't even migrated yet!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

All the other populated planets in our area now have entire populations living beneath the surface, taking their water with them, to avoid the bombardment of our TV signal being beamed out into space. An intergalactic sanctions committee is being assembled to assess the damage our planet has caused and to determine an appropriate act of contrition and/or reparations. As the onslaught is on-going, and our arrogance only increases, it is hard to accurately determine these things.

There are two factions, one that espouses total annihilation of our planet to stop the endless pollution of space at our hands and one faction that merely wishes to remove all humanity from the planet, leaving the Earth itself to spin on, barren of humans and free from our tyranny. Once the final accord is reached, it's only a matter of time before they come for us.

What they haven't counted on is 1.) Vindaloo fumes trapped in the upper atmosphere, 2.) Honey Boo-Boo, and 3.) LOLCATS.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Faust

Awesome I wish they could get in for a closer peak. We can't just send rover to it sadly :(

If there is any remote chance of life (bacterial) the device has to be fitted with self sterilising canisters which rover wasn't equipped with.

I hope nasa can scrounge up the cash to send a probe. Maybe China or Russia could.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2013, 10:52:21 PM
Awesome I wish they could get in for a closer peak. We can't just send rover to it sadly :(

If there is any remote chance of life (bacterial) the device has to be fitted with self sterilising canisters which rover wasn't equipped with.

I hope nasa can scrounge up the cash to send a probe. Maybe China or Russia could.

Fuck that shit.  Bacteria?  WE have that.  Water?  WE already have that.

Bug-eyed monsters or GTFO.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 18, 2013, 11:28:54 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 18, 2013, 10:52:21 PM

Fuck that shit.  Bacteria?  WE have that.  Water?  WE already have that.

Bug-eyed monsters or GTFO.

[NARRATOR]: "To think the Martians with their all their superior technology were felled by a single tiny microbe. The common aids virus which humans had long since become accustomed to."
Sleepless nights at the chateau