News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

Started by Ben Shapiro, September 09, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Pæs

I had to give up after a minute of saying "Brony-Con".

Cramulus

Howard Stern, class act

I just can't get behind the brony hate. Sure, I think it's weird, it's not my cup of tea -- but so many of my hobbies fall into the range of things that were mocked openly in the mesozoic era before geeks were cool. These cats at bronycon, they're into something, they don't care what you think, they're owning it, goddess bless 'em.

Geeks love shitting down the geek hierarchy. I guess it makes them feel better about being an RPG nerd when they can go "Heh, at least we're not writing twilight fanfic" or something. Yeah, you're much better off, secretly so insecure, secretly still wanting the approval of the crowd that mocked you in gradeschool.

It's the same story with the furry hate. My buddy works in Pittsburgh about two blocks from Anthrocon, and tells me about how every year, all his RPG nerd friends get all up in arms about how much furries suck. And later that year, they will go to comic-con or gen-con and try to feel cool about dressing up like solid snake or some WoW character and ogling some 20 year old girl dressed up as Chun Li. As if it's any goddamn different.

Howard Stern isn't a weirdo who is celebrating how crazy his culture is, he's a shock jock who is elevating the bronies so that we can point and laugh at them. At some point they're asking a brony if he used to get beat up back in school, and the kid says yeah, I used to get stuffed in lockers all the time. Howard and company are cracking up. In that one moment, it was very clear what the purpose of this segment is, and it made me want to take a shower.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I find bronies somewhat endearing, but also disturbing. I have an extra level of fascination for those bronies who believe they are engaged in a sexual relationship with a pony cartoon character embodied by a stuffed animal.

You have to admit there's something really unusual and very dysfunctional happening there. It's a lot like the guys who have intimate emotional and sexual relationships with Realdolls.

I used to like Howard Stern but now I think he is a repugnant bully. I don't know if I changed, or if he changed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically I would say that I don't have brony-hate, but I do have brony-fascination. Whatever is going on with them is a type of concentrated level of dysfunction that psychology dissertations are made of.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on September 09, 2013, 03:12:27 PM
Howard Stern, class act

I just can't get behind the brony hate.

I can.  I wrote a fairly big rant about it, not too long ago.

It has nothing to do with the weird fetish part.  It's the rest of their behavior.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Facemeat on September 09, 2013, 03:56:02 PM
I find bronies somewhat endearing, but also disturbing. I have an extra level of fascination for those bronies who believe they are engaged in a sexual relationship with a pony cartoon character embodied by a stuffed animal.

You have to admit there's something really unusual and very dysfunctional happening there. It's a lot like the guys who have intimate emotional and sexual relationships with Realdolls.

I used to like Howard Stern but now I think he is a repugnant bully. I don't know if I changed, or if he changed.

I don't find regular bronies disturbing in the least. I remember lots of points in my life where I was enthralled by shit that was way too young for me (I could get away with some of it because I had younger siblings), and seriously fuck gender stereotypes right in the ass. They start to lose that respect when they go all tumblr offended because someone doesn't approve of their weird tastes, but that's because I'm put off by delicate little flowers of all stripes.

The ones who are getting something sexual out of it are way over in another boat. Not exiled off to Pedophilia Island, but headed somewhere in that general direction.

Ben Shapiro

I was just amazed that there's bronies that hate other bronies.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 09, 2013, 03:12:27 PM
Howard Stern, class act

I just can't get behind the brony hate.

I can.  I wrote a fairly big rant about it, not too long ago.

It has nothing to do with the weird fetish part.  It's the rest of their behavior.

Ben Shapiro

Pæs

Cain

-

LMNO