Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Now she has people all in a tizzy over this video (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

They're all "she's sending the message that young women should be sexually available!"

Because, um, all music videos ever don't send that message?  :lol:

No, what's pissing people off, though they can't identify it themselves, is that she is sending the message that she has sexual agency, and that the sexual energy of a young woman can be overwhelming and intimidating in its own right rather than merely an accessory for men.

Also it's a pretty great video.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I think I called it accurately, then.   :lulz:

Her career as an actress is over.  Her career as a pop star was stalling at low altitude.

But then she found her niche.  Gadfly.  And she's doing it better than Gaga, which is fucking saying something.

And the best thing about gadflies is, they serve as a really important check on whatever they're mocking.  In this case, entertainment. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 08:34:47 PM
I think I called it accurately, then.   :lulz:

Her career as an actress is over.  Her career as a pop star was stalling at low altitude.

But then she found her niche.  Gadfly.  And she's doing it better than Gaga, which is fucking saying something.

And the best thing about gadflies is, they serve as a really important check on whatever they're mocking.  In this case, entertainment.

Yep.  :lulz: It's pretty awesome.

Also, I quite honestly like that song, which is also saying something. I like her singing voice quite a bit, actually.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Her speaking voice is devastating. I think I have a crush on a girl half my age.  :lol:

LMNO

She's kind copping Lana Del Ray on this track, but I happen to be one of those who like her music, so I'm cool with it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2013, 08:45:49 PM
She's kind copping Lana Del Ray on this track, but I happen to be one of those who like her music, so I'm cool with it.

Well, she's a kid who is discovering her adult identity. I wouldn't expect anything too profoundly original for a few more years.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sounds a little like Taylor Swift in parts, too. That's the country influence though.

The Good Reverend Roger

This disturbs me.  Lana Del Ray makes my pance tight, and some little kid doing it gives me the jimjams.

Um.  Just looked it up.  Lana Del Ray is 27.   :horrormirth:

TGRR,
ANCIENT PERV.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 09:30:04 PM

This disturbs me.  Lana Del Ray makes my pance tight, and some little kid doing it gives me the jimjams.

TGRR,
ANCIENT PERV.

I'm pretty sure 27 is legal hitting-on age...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 10, 2013, 09:32:38 PM

TGRR,
ANCIENT PERV.

I'll be 45 in a few weeks.  27 may be LEGAL for me, but it's also fucking RIDICULOUS.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 09:33:16 PM

TGRR,
ANCIENT PERV.

I'll be 45 in a few weeks.  27 may be LEGAL for me, but it's also fucking RIDICULOUS.

Ridiculous for doing things, not so much for lookings, IMO.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 10, 2013, 09:54:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2013, 09:33:16 PM

TGRR,
ANCIENT PERV.

Ridiculous for doing things, not so much for lookings, IMO.

I have my own internal peanut gallery.  They jeer at me when I do shit like that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the side-effects of getting older is not being able to tell how old young people are anymore. They all just look "young". 27? 35? Who can tell the difference, they're all kids.

I still think of  my accountant as a "kid" because when I met him he was 19 and I was 22.  :lulz: Despite the fact that he's a 39-year-old CPA who does my taxes. Regardless; when I met him I could buy alcohol and he couldn't, therefore he is a kid. Forever.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 10, 2013, 09:59:49 PM
One of the side-effects of getting older is not being able to tell how old young people are anymore. They all just look "young". 27? 35? Who can tell the difference, they're all kids.

Yeah, but I thought Lana Del Ray was about 35.

QuoteI still think of  my accountant as a "kid" because when I met him he was 19 and I was 22.  :lulz: Despite the fact that he's a 39-year-old CPA who does my taxes. Regardless; when I met him I could buy alcohol and he couldn't, therefore he is a kid. Forever.

:lol:

tyrannosaurus vex

<translation of negative reviews>
This is awful. She's not dripping off the arms of a single man in this video. Not stuck sycophantically to the overmuscled abs of one solitary male. Where's the machismo? Where's the sex? Look at her, being apparently satisfied all by herself riding around on a giant ball, and using the one phallic symbol in the whole video to her own advantage. Breaking through walls and shit. I dunno. It just seems sterile to me. What good is a pretty lady who isn't being dominated by anyone? Why would any woman have a sexuality that doesn't depend on a penis? And what's next? What if they make a sexy video with no phallic symbols at all? Jesus. If this is how the world's going to be from now on, I just don't think I can take it.
</translation>
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.