News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Teen Exorcists

Started by Cramulus, September 11, 2013, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm also guessing Larson's diagnostic is about as fair a coin as a Scientologist's e-meter. That is to say, if you take the test, you're one of the 50% afflicted.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Ben Shapiro

There's a Bear Demon terrorizing all of North East Houston.

LMNO

I have it on good authority that the Devil is running around in at least one of the Tucsons.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Twigel on September 11, 2013, 06:11:32 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 11, 2013, 06:11:00 PM
yeah, it's $9.95 to find out if you're in the 50% of the population that has demonz

Flipping a quarter will only cost me 25 cents, and only while it's midair.
This is genius.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Twigel on September 11, 2013, 05:56:12 PM
It's kind of interesting that teens would be put in this position.

Let us assume for the sake of argument that demonic possession is a real thing, since that's presumably what these girls actually believe.

It's a goddamn demon. It would seem highly irresponsible to send an untrained, psychologically incapable person. Other religious traditions that engage in the practice perform it rarely. Mainly because you really have to go out of your way to say, there's some freaky unexplainable shit going on here, so why not give this last option a shot? I am thinking primarily of the Catholic Church, where, as I understand it, you have to get authorization from the Pope himself to get the go ahead, and those authorizations are exceedingly rare, because 99.999999% of the time, it is due to some sort of mental illness in the patient. But the other end of it is that the exorcist has to be psychologically balanced in order to pull the ritual off. Teenagers are self-conscious and have fragile egos, and have dirty little private thoughts that a telepathic demon will exploit the fuck out of.

For the sake of argument: teenagers are at a point where they are in transition, and points of transition are where people are closest to "the supernatural" in some belief systems. Teenage girls specifically have been associated with poltergeists, and they were used in some areas for witch hunting. Virgin teenage girls (which these ladies undoubtedly profess to be) were the only way you could catch a unicorn. Also, virgin blood for sacrifices, etc. By this (largely historically inaccurate, but memetically robust) reasoning, virgin teenage girls would be very well suited for the job. They are close enough to the supernatural that they can affect it. Their conviction in their faith, and the conviction their marketers have in that faith, will prevent them from entertaining the notion that they could fail.

Also, why would you want someone psychologically sound to do this shit? No, you need someone who's REALLY GOOD at lying to themselves. Someone who can huff their own farts so hard they pass out without noticing the stench.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 10:09:17 PM
Quote from: Twigel on September 11, 2013, 05:56:12 PM
It's kind of interesting that teens would be put in this position.

Let us assume for the sake of argument that demonic possession is a real thing, since that's presumably what these girls actually believe.

It's a goddamn demon. It would seem highly irresponsible to send an untrained, psychologically incapable person. Other religious traditions that engage in the practice perform it rarely. Mainly because you really have to go out of your way to say, there's some freaky unexplainable shit going on here, so why not give this last option a shot? I am thinking primarily of the Catholic Church, where, as I understand it, you have to get authorization from the Pope himself to get the go ahead, and those authorizations are exceedingly rare, because 99.999999% of the time, it is due to some sort of mental illness in the patient. But the other end of it is that the exorcist has to be psychologically balanced in order to pull the ritual off. Teenagers are self-conscious and have fragile egos, and have dirty little private thoughts that a telepathic demon will exploit the fuck out of.

For the sake of argument: teenagers are at a point where they are in transition, and points of transition are where people are closest to "the supernatural" in some belief systems. Teenage girls specifically have been associated with poltergeists, and they were used in some areas for witch hunting. Virgin teenage girls (which these ladies undoubtedly profess to be) were the only way you could catch a unicorn. Also, virgin blood for sacrifices, etc. By this (largely historically inaccurate, but memetically robust) reasoning, virgin teenage girls would be very well suited for the job. They are close enough to the supernatural that they can affect it. Their conviction in their faith, and the conviction their marketers have in that faith, will prevent them from entertaining the notion that they could fail.

Also, why would you want someone psychologically sound to do this shit? No, you need someone who's REALLY GOOD at lying to themselves. Someone who can huff their own farts so hard they pass out without noticing the stench.
Ah virginity. Fair. But i suspect that has more to do with folklore than anything biblically based.

LMNO

Not to be That Guy, but five bucks says the woman on the left isn't a virgin.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 13, 2013, 04:03:36 AM

Isn't she the one that's like 15? (see Anderson Cooper link)

LMNO

I don't want to start this up, but losing one's virginity on or prior to 15 is not surprising to me.

It's awful, but not surprising.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 13, 2013, 04:55:03 AM
I don't want to start this up, but losing one's virginity on or prior to 15 is not surprising to me.

Christians do it better sooner.

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually, isn't there a statistic that religious conservative teens are more likely to get abortions? Or is that BS?

Richter

Quote from: Twigel on September 13, 2013, 04:56:47 AM

Saddlebacking?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

Quote from: Richter on September 13, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: Twigel on September 13, 2013, 04:56:47 AM

Saddlebacking?

:buttsecks:

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 13, 2013, 04:03:36 AM

I'll take that bet. Care to give your reasoning?
Quote from: Twigel on September 13, 2013, 05:02:34 AM
Actually, isn't there a statistic that religious conservative teens are more likely to get abortions? Or is that BS?
There's a direct relationship between how often you shove your religion in peoples faces and the likelihood of it coming back to haunt you.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.