News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Yarn bombs. Craftivism is awesome.

Started by McGrupp, September 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cramulus on September 11, 2013, 09:57:23 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2013, 09:03:03 PM
In some cases, public art installations can cause gentrification, pushing poor people out of their neighborhoods. In that case, the reclamation is for the "invaders", not the people living there.

I can see the analogy between public art and territorial markers

but I wouldn't say art causes gentrification, or that yarn bombing might actually push people out of a neighborhood

That line of criticism seems like an attack on any public art which wasn't created by the locals. I can understand the resentment at that, it would be alienating to have some art you don't resonate with dominating your neighborhood. However, I do think it's pointing at a symptom of a problem rather than the cause of it. I don't think the issues surrounding gentrification can be resolved by limiting the self-expression of the "invading" group. And if those sorts of prohibitions were in place, it would also likely limit marginalized groups trying to fight their way into the neighborhood.

just my two cents

it's a symptom of the gentrification that can make the previous inhabitants feel alienated and more angry.

I like the idea of "reclaiming the traditionally feminine crafts" in a subversive manner. Subversive cross-stitch is totally a thing. Dame Judi Dench likes to embroider "FUCK" on pretty flowery cushions.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 12, 2013, 11:45:36 PM
I wonder what it's stuffed with.

I kind of want to shove scaffold support through it to see if it will stand upright.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Pixie on September 13, 2013, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 11, 2013, 09:57:23 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2013, 09:03:03 PM
In some cases, public art installations can cause gentrification, pushing poor people out of their neighborhoods. In that case, the reclamation is for the "invaders", not the people living there.

I can see the analogy between public art and territorial markers

but I wouldn't say art causes gentrification, or that yarn bombing might actually push people out of a neighborhood

That line of criticism seems like an attack on any public art which wasn't created by the locals. I can understand the resentment at that, it would be alienating to have some art you don't resonate with dominating your neighborhood. However, I do think it's pointing at a symptom of a problem rather than the cause of it. I don't think the issues surrounding gentrification can be resolved by limiting the self-expression of the "invading" group. And if those sorts of prohibitions were in place, it would also likely limit marginalized groups trying to fight their way into the neighborhood.

just my two cents

it's a symptom of the gentrification that can make the previous inhabitants feel alienated and more angry.

I like the idea of "reclaiming the traditionally feminine crafts" in a subversive manner. Subversive cross-stitch is totally a thing. Dame Judi Dench likes to embroider "FUCK" on pretty flowery cushions.

It would seem to make more sense to do these things in business districts and focus on specific targets anyway. Possibly have a specific message to send. 

Although is it still gentrification if the yarn bomber is a previous resident?  I guess I'm not sure how one would automatically take the thought track: Yarnbomb>Not one of our own>gentrification.   

Bu🤠ns

Or what if the yarn bomb specifically pointed out the issue of gentrification in the area through a particular message? 

I'm not trying to split hairs, but given my recent interest in crochet and such I'd like to do this in some way but I don't want to ruffle the wrong feathers.  That plus the social dynamic of this is very interesting because, honestly, I'd never consider gentrification in a million years so that rather surprises me to hear.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 13, 2013, 02:19:01 PM
Or what if the yarn bomb specifically pointed out the issue of gentrification in the area through a particular message? 

I'm not trying to split hairs, but given my recent interest in crochet and such I'd like to do this in some way but I don't want to ruffle the wrong feathers.  That plus the social dynamic of this is very interesting because, honestly, I'd never consider gentrification in a million years so that rather surprises me to hear.

using it to highlight gentrification would be awesome.

A local charity did some yarn bombing in Southampton, with messages attached for a homeless shelter. after a few days the artists came back, took down the installations and made them into blankets for the charity

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Pixie on September 13, 2013, 02:54:53 PM

A local charity did some yarn bombing in Southampton, with messages attached for a homeless shelter. after a few days the artists came back, took down the installations and made them into blankets for the charity

Now that's really awesome.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 13, 2013, 03:00:22 PM
Quote from: Pixie on September 13, 2013, 02:54:53 PM

Now that's really awesome.

Dude, kick-ass. Super awesome use of yarn.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.