News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Yarn bombs. Craftivism is awesome.

Started by McGrupp, September 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Also:

Art > Rioting.

Something's got to give.  It's not happening the way I expected, and that's my FAVORITE PART.  I have been SURPRISED, and that, let me tell you, is the most refreshing thing I can remember happening in more than a decade.

This has completely made my fucking week.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Seriously.  No sleep in forever, I was getting kind of run down and depressed, and now I feel happy.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Yeah, I love yarn bombing. The bull for instance, went up over night. It was all cut off pretty much the next day but everyone who saw it got a kick.

And yeah, as Nigel confirmed, the pieces are made before-hand and then they are put into place and closed with a seam. Crochet seams take only a few seconds for simple pieces and minutes for longer or more complex so it's very easy to make the parts, put them in place, secure them on, and run away giggling like a loon before anyone notices.

Red Heart is pretty indestructible, it looks fine for months. Wool and cotton, though, get matted and nasty super quick.

Some yarn-bombers leave little tags like "pull here!" so the seams can be undone and the piece doesn't have to be cut off. That way the yarn can be reused after a quick wash, if the opportunity arises.

It is pretty awesome and nothing is damaged or permanently altered. It's just a quick way to brighten things up and get a giggle.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

LMNO

I think it hits all the sweet spots for a classic O:M.

A true "WTF" moment, not reliant on anything but its own oddness.

Here are some of my favorite yarn-bombing images.

This whole thing : http://www.demilked.com/yarn-bombing/

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 08:28:30 PM
Also:

Art > Rioting.

Something's got to give.  It's not happening the way I expected, and that's my FAVORITE PART.  I have been SURPRISED, and that, let me tell you, is the most refreshing thing I can remember happening in more than a decade.

I kind of anticipate people just FREAKING OUT and putting art EVERYWHERE.

ART PANIC!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Cramulus on September 11, 2013, 07:11:45 PM
can you elaborate?

I was away at a seminar, but basically: Public art is for reclaiming public space, but who is the reclamation for? In some cases, public art installations can cause gentrification, pushing poor people out of their neighborhoods. In that case, the reclamation is for the "invaders", not the people living there.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Here's a video of the bull getting yarn bombed. It might help provide a clear-er picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0HhNvDFRQ

Reginald Ret

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 08:26:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 08:21:22 PM
Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 08:18:57 PM
The thing that I like about it is that if it makes a bored white housewife feel subversive and counterculture, GOOD.

JUST, GOOD. How is it ever bad for someone to rebel against a horrible, oppressive paradigm, even if they are rebelling in a tiny, petty way? Even better if they're rebelling in a cute fuzzy colorful way that irritates Serious People.

That's the AWESOME part!  There's no THREAT.  But something is happening, and it's being done by persons unknown, so there's a feeling of unease that can't be hammered into one of the standard template response modes.

So the Serious People getting pissed are almost FORCED to bang around inside their skulls for a while, trying to classify this sort of thing, whether or not they are inclined to do so.

This is true. It's that thing again, about the reason I like confusing people... it makes them think, even if just for a minute.
I love you.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 08:28:30 PM
Also:

Art > Rioting.

Something's got to give. It's not happening the way I expected, and that's my FAVORITE PART.  I have been SURPRISED, and that, let me tell you, is the most refreshing thing I can remember happening in more than a decade.

I love you too.

Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2013, 09:03:03 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 11, 2013, 07:11:45 PM
can you elaborate?

I was away at a seminar, but basically: Public art is for reclaiming public space, but who is the reclamation for? In some cases, public art installations can cause gentrification, pushing poor people out of their neighborhoods. In that case, the reclamation is for the "invaders", not the people living there.
And I love you.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 09:09:25 PM
Here's a video of the bull getting yarn bombed. It might help provide a clear-er picture.

Artists like OLEK are a whole different category from the yarn-taggers; that is, completely and undeniably, Real Art.

The Good Reverend Roger

The tank cozy is STILL cracking me up.   :lulz:

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 09:09:25 PM

Artists like OLEK are a whole different category from the yarn-taggers; that is, completely and undeniably, Real Art.

Yeah, but the same methods are used. Just different applications.

Cramulus

Quote from: Kai on September 11, 2013, 09:03:03 PM
In some cases, public art installations can cause gentrification, pushing poor people out of their neighborhoods. In that case, the reclamation is for the "invaders", not the people living there.

I can see the analogy between public art and territorial markers

but I wouldn't say art causes gentrification, or that yarn bombing might actually push people out of a neighborhood

That line of criticism seems like an attack on any public art which wasn't created by the locals. I can understand the resentment at that, it would be alienating to have some art you don't resonate with dominating your neighborhood. However, I do think it's pointing at a symptom of a problem rather than the cause of it. I don't think the issues surrounding gentrification can be resolved by limiting the self-expression of the "invading" group. And if those sorts of prohibitions were in place, it would also likely limit marginalized groups trying to fight their way into the neighborhood.

just my two cents