News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Yarn bombs. Craftivism is awesome.

Started by McGrupp, September 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 09:44:44 PM
The tank cozy is STILL cracking me up.   :lulz:

Oh yes. And there are other such fun things.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 09:09:25 PM
Here's a video of the bull getting yarn bombed. It might help provide a clear-er picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0HhNvDFRQ

Artists like OLEK are a whole different category from the yarn-taggers; that is, completely and undeniably, Real Art.

Yeah, but the same methods are used. Just different applications.

There isn't a distinctive cut-off between them, just as there isn't a distinctive cut-off between tagging and graffiti art. But while this:

...is at one end of the spectrum, OLEK and work like this:

...is undeniably at the other end.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

What I find funny is one type of artist sneering at the art of another type of artist.  Takes all kinds.

What I find EVEN FUNNIER is that I loathe taggers (which I am defining at the moment as the guys who run around putting squiggly lines of spraypaint on shit), and don't consider THEM artists.

Mostly because of what the little bastards did to the 60s/70s giant murals in the legal district.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 10:18:56 PM
Here's a video of the bull getting yarn bombed. It might help provide a clear-er picture.

Artists like OLEK are a whole different category from the yarn-taggers; that is, completely and undeniably, Real Art.

There isn't a distinctive cut-off between them, just as there isn't a distinctive cut-off between tagging and graffiti art. But while this:

True. Olek's video just showed the joining method and positioning up close. I thought it would help give a more solid idea of how it goes together.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 10:21:25 PM

True. Olek's video just showed the joining method and positioning up close. I thought it would help give a more solid idea of how it goes together.

I wasn't addressing that at all, just discussing the perception of art value that yarnbombing may have.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 11, 2013, 10:52:36 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 11, 2013, 10:21:25 PM

I wasn't addressing that at all, just discussing the perception of art value that yarnbombing may have.

Gotcha. Sorry.

I'm interested in how the knitting / crochet schism is affected by yarn bombing. Most of it is crochet done with crap yarn. The purist knitters are up to their tits in shock and dismay while simultaneously wanting to participate. Purist crocheters think yarn bombers make the rest of crocheters look bad and waste yarn, even if it is crap yarn. :P It's kind of funny to watch the discussions.

But yeah, it has birthed some very interesting expressions of art. And a few yarn bombers went on to get some pretty big contracts art galleries and the like.

Then there's this sorta thing : http://regresodelhipocampo.blogspot.com/2013/02/crochet-art.html

By the above link, I meant this sort of thing in particular :

These items are mostly done using filet and lace methods, and I think that's crochet cotton so these items, if left outside and untreated, are far more ephemeral. Definitely more to the art side of things as this type of work requires more skill and more time than your basic double-crochet parking meter sleeve, so I see what you're saying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bu🤠ns

This stuff is fantastic! 

Burns gets out his loom and wizard beanie.

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2013, 10:21:16 PM
What I find funny is one type of artist sneering at the art of another type of artist.  Takes all kinds.

I especially like the vandalog criticism which reads to me as "there's a hierarchy of risk and yarn bombing is insufficiently dangerous, also I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE BEING SENT".

Making a scarf for a park bench and having it cause SRS ARTISTS to get bent out of shape SEEMS artistic to me.

Pæs

"Here is the bad art: <pictures of trees in patterned outfits>

Here is the good art: <hot pink tennis net>"

What is your point?

McGrupp

That's a really cool video. That must have taken a lot of planning to make all the pieces fit.

I think I kinda get how this can rub people the wrong way, but I also think it's as versatile as any other art form. Also a person livening up their own neighborhood and haunts is probably different than someone going to a place they deem 'decrepit' and adding their stuff to it. But I still think its all pretty cool. It can be silly. It can make a statement. It can jar people. It can make my walk to the bus stop a little brighter.

This rabbit is from Italy and is so large that it's bellybutton is a person. Not technically a yarn bomb but still neat.

Junkenstein

The logistics involved in the rabbit are quite impressive really.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.