News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Trigger warning: Drugs

Started by LMNO, September 13, 2013, 05:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 13, 2013, 05:49:56 PM
I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, I tend to gloss over drug threads when they becom circular.

Also, I apologize for another drug thread, and its ramifications.

So:
http://jezebel.com/crazy-clown-is-the-hot-new-drug-for-the-cool-dumb-te-1302380188

Weird "not-pot" alkaloids are being created, and re-created, to mimic pot yet fall outside of the prohibited substances laws. Like designer X, but for pot.

Thing is, it seems these Fake Weed products are much, much worse than Actual Weed. And because they're pseudo-legal, people (kids and non-kids) have greater access to them.

A system that allows a more harmful product while banning a less-harmful product is not rational. Legalizing weed would eliminate the market for harmful fake weed.

Or the DEA and Congress need to act faster to ban these synthetics. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Well since Congress can't move fast on SHIT, I think LMNO's bet is the better one.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

AFK

True, but the DEA has the ability to temporarily schedule a substance for, IIRC up to 18 months.  That's what they did with bath salts.  Gave Congress enough time to get its act together.

Forsooth

Quoteauthor=Be Kind, Please RWHNd link=topic=35404.msg1295956#msg1295956 date=1379118387]
True, but the DEA has the ability to temporarily schedule a substance for, IIRC up to 18 months.  That's what they did with bath salts.  Gave Congress enough time to get its act together.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2013/fr0516.htm

LMNO

The fact the gvt has to be REactive rather than PROactive pretty much shoots that in the face.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The legal high things are weird. When I was in Turkey, some guys shared a joint with us made of that stuff. Now, I can handle weed, lots of weed, very strong weed, but after the second hit I was seriously fucked up. It wasn't really like a THC high, it what I imagine smoking cocaine, dry dog shit and datura would be like. Apparently, you build up a level of tolerance pretty quickly, but I don't know why you would want to!

From the people I've talked to, they smoke legal because they can't smoke weed.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Well, as luck would have it, we now have a chance to observe the true impact of the legal status of marijuana on synthetic.  If the hypothesis in the OP is true, then we should expect there to be no usage of these drugs in Colorado and Washington, correct?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 14, 2013, 12:20:49 PM
Well, as luck would have it, we now have a chance to observe the true impact of the legal status of marijuana on synthetic.  If the hypothesis in the OP is true, then we should expect there to be no usage of these drugs in Colorado and Washington, correct?

Only if the people in Colrado are the people I talked to. I have no doubt that some people will prefer the synthentic because it gets you seriously fucked up and its cheap.

AFK

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I suspect that the market for the synthetic will decline considerably. Time will tell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 14, 2013, 03:56:34 PM
I suspect that the market for the synthetic will decline considerably. Time will tell.

I agree.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 14, 2013, 12:27:36 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/09/13/222052914/synthetic-marijuana-prompts-colorado-health-investigation

Oh.  Crap.

From that article:

QuoteStill, commercial sale of recreational marijuana remains illegal until licensed stores open after the first of the year.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 14, 2013, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 14, 2013, 12:27:36 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/09/13/222052914/synthetic-marijuana-prompts-colorado-health-investigation

Oh.  Crap.

From that article:

QuoteStill, commercial sale of recreational marijuana remains illegal until licensed stores open after the first of the year.

A good point, but even so, the high of the synthetic is so different, I think there will be a market for it. Pot (at least for me) is relaxing, I feel like me, but relaxed and calm and comfortable. The syntehtic was a little dizzy really heavy and didn't give the calm, relaxed sort of feel. Its like taking the worst aspects of the strongest pot, without any of the good effects. For people that just want to get fucked up, its just the kind of thing they want. I tried laughing gas once and its the only thing I could compare it to. Not my kind of high.

Here they also have a lot of powders which they snort or bomb. Its basically being sold as "bath salts" *ie you put them in your bath* but they're actually methylamin variations. These apparently mimic cocaine, meth and XTC (all together in variations). Apparently there have been many different chemicals sold under the name "bath salts" and some have been associated with bad effects and others have little/no known bad effetcs. Most of the damage associated with use have been from from impurities rather than the drugs themselves.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah we're all familiar with research chemicals/bath salts, I think.

I suspect there will always be a market for weird fringe experimental drugs, but like I said, I suspect the market for synthetic cannabinoids will also decline considerably after marijuana is legally available in stores for recreational use. But, we won't know until a year or so has gone by.