News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Trigger warning: Drugs

Started by LMNO, September 13, 2013, 05:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 15, 2013, 04:19:11 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 01:31:07 AM
There really is a certain kind of drug user that is interested in these synthetics, and it isn't your social baker or your casual weed user.  It's usually a more hard core drug user, so legalization really won't have much of an impact.

Actually, perhaps on second thought you are absolutely right. Only hard core drug users are interested in these kinds of drugs, not your casual user or social baker. So it really won't make much of a difference whether they're legal or not, because making them illegal won't deter hardcore users anyway, as we have seen with other drugs, and the casual users aren't buying them anyway.

No, it does make a difference.  We were having significant issues with 'bath salts' here in Maine.  After it was banned in the state and federally, and police were able to clean the shit out of head shops and truck stops, the issue declined pretty significantly.  So it does have an effect. 

But the legal status of marijuana will have little to no bearing on spice, K2, etc. because your average pot user isn't seeking that out.  And the synhetic cannibinoids have had some significant press so it would be near impossible for someone who uses drugs to not be aware of what it is.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 04:18:03 PM

But the legal status of marijuana will have little to no bearing on spice, K2, etc. because your average pot user isn't seeking that out.  And the synhetic cannibinoids have had some significant press so it would be near impossible for someone who uses drugs to not be aware of what it is.

Buncha crap.  Right now, they're seeking out what they can get.  K2 was just recently made illegal here, and until it was, it was billed as "synthetic weed".  They were billing it as weed because weed is what people wanted to smoke.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Because real marijuana is hard to get right now?

AFK

So in other words the legal status of marijuana is making it less available, correct?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 04:31:54 PM
Because real marijuana is hard to get right now?

Because it was billed as "Synthetic Weed" while it was legal.

What part is giving you the trouble?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 04:32:49 PM
So in other words the legal status of marijuana is making it less available, correct?

And making the far more dangerous synthetics more available.

WELL DONE, SIR PROHIBITIONIST!  YOU SAVED THOSE KIDS FROM DEMON MERRYWANNA.

And all that happened was they turned into cannibals.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Because people get piss tested at work, at probation, etc.
Because prohibition.
DUH.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

So therefore, when marijuana becomes legal, access and availability is going to increase, yes?

AFK

I'm glad we finally came to agreement on that idea. 

Carry on with your drug thread.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 04:48:00 PM
So therefore, when marijuana becomes legal, access and availability is going to increase, yes?

Who the FUCK ever said those two things wouldn't increase?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

YAY!  You proved a point nobody was arguing, and all you had to do was admit that your policies create cannibal zombies!

This is AWESOME!  It's like I fell through a fucking wormhole!

:lulz:

AFK

The kind of person who uses synthetics and becomes a "cannibal zombie" is a person who isn't sitting around waiting for legalization to get their fix. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 04:18:03 PM
Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 15, 2013, 04:19:11 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 01:31:07 AM
There really is a certain kind of drug user that is interested in these synthetics, and it isn't your social baker or your casual weed user.  It's usually a more hard core drug user, so legalization really won't have much of an impact.

Actually, perhaps on second thought you are absolutely right. Only hard core drug users are interested in these kinds of drugs, not your casual user or social baker. So it really won't make much of a difference whether they're legal or not, because making them illegal won't deter hardcore users anyway, as we have seen with other drugs, and the casual users aren't buying them anyway.

No, it does make a difference.  We were having significant issues with 'bath salts' here in Maine.  After it was banned in the state and federally, and police were able to clean the shit out of head shops and truck stops, the issue declined pretty significantly.  So it does have an effect. 

Huh.

I'm not willing to make any such sweeping statements about whether marijuana legalization "will" or "will not" have an effect on the usage rates of synthetic cannabinoids that are currently marketed as "pot substitutes", because we don't have data yet, but we will soon.

I will say that it seems unlikely to me that it will have no effect on usage rates, for fairly obvious reasons; users who want marijuana but don't want to break the law will be able to obtain marijuana, and so won't feel the need to settle for "synthetic pot substitute", which really doesn't sound very appealing by comparison.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 15, 2013, 05:18:00 PM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on September 15, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

YAY!  You proved a point nobody was arguing, and all you had to do was admit that your policies create cannibal zombies!

This is AWESOME!  It's like I fell through a fucking wormhole!

:lulz:

It IS lulzy, isn't it?  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division