News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Mistborn

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, September 13, 2013, 08:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, our GURPS campaign has finally been declared dead (farewell, cyperpunk househunting), which means it's time to start up a new one. We settled on Mistborn, a system that has a lot of up-front party building - a problem we've had in several campaigns with this particular group. The eldest kidlet will be joining us, for her first grown-up game.

We decided that we would be living in one of the smaller outlying districts of The Empire and be working to free our district from its rule. When asked what our primary tactic would be the answer was unanimous: terrorism.

Junkenstein

:lulz:

Have you seen the recent Order of the Stick strips? That should give you some solid ideas. Like it doesn't write itself. Can't wait to see how the path to freedom goes!
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Don Coyote

Cain

-

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 13, 2013, 09:18:56 PM

Have you seen the recent Order of the Stick strips? That should give you some solid ideas. Like it doesn't write itself. Can't wait to see how the path to freedom goes!

My friend will be GMing, he runs an indie gaming company. The only time he has run a game that I was unhappy with was when we played Amber, and I was still with my ex.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on September 13, 2013, 09:45:19 PM
Is that based on Brandon Sanderson's books?  It's not a bad setting if so.

Yes, I believe so. Metal eating magic stuff.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 13, 2013, 10:14:31 PM

My friend will be GMing, he runs an indie gaming company. The only time he has run a game that I was unhappy with was when we played Amber, and I was still with my ex.
Why is that every time I hear about Amber people seem to hate it? :lulz:

Cain

-

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 14, 2013, 04:46:50 AM

I'm sure Amber is the right game for a certain type of group. I have no idea what that group might be, because I've never seen it go well, but I have to assume somebody is enjoying that thing.

Reginald Ret

Hah, that is going to be fun! I didn't know there was a Mistborn RPG, but of course there is.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Q. G. Pennyworth

AND now we have another book series to throw down the book-hole!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 14, 2013, 04:46:50 AM

Because it's Amber.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

That moment when your child talks about their character's relationship with their parents and you have to remind yourself not to take it personally.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Our party consists of:

Falstor (kidlet): poacher, teenage girl, rebel
Wrayn Venture (myself): the money, mistborn (zinc)
(friend 1): shapeshifter, sweetheart
(friend 2): incompetent, mistborn (brass, steel)
(friend 3): boisterous, huge, guy who knows a guy

Our GM sets up the game by giving us a map of our little city and giving us a rundown of how things have gone from "pretty fucking oppressive" to "intolerable" over the last couple months. The head obligitor (the inspectors for the empire that call in the muscle if anything's out of line) is a total douchenozzle and he's making the whole city miserable. Plus, one of the steel inquisitors is already on the way to the city, and that's only going to cause more shit.

On the way to the safe house, one of our party (the loud guy) finds a girl swimming across the lake. He takes her with him, and she explains that the slums on the other side of the lake have been razed. It's decided that she can stay with Falstor's family for the time being. Meanwhile, we have other business to attend to. We decide our best tactic for our continued survival at this moment is to discredit the obligitor to reduce the imperial oversight of the city, and to accomplish this we need to make it look like he's slept with a skaa (filthy lower class) woman.

Set up: I work on starting rumors that he has a skaa mistress. They don't spread like wildfire, but there are at least mutterings. Meanwhile, our shapeshifter spends time observing the target so that she can impersonate him later. Falstor is planted as a serving girl in his retinue. We locate an abandoned house and a wagon.

Kidnapping: The wagon is set up behind the window on the noble's latrine in the pit (mine), with friends 1, 2, & 3 hidden inside. Falstor sneaks a heavy laxative in the obligitor's food, and I use magic to incite a riot among the miners (not terribly hard under the circumstances). The obligator rushes to deal with the situation and makes it for an admirable length of time before booking it for the latrine. There, friend 3 grabs him and pulls him into the wagon while friend 2 uses magic to keep him calm. Friend 1 assumes the obligitor's form and goes back to work.

The Smear: The shapeshifter, disguised as our target, puts on some half-assed "I'm trying to disguise myself!" clothes and sneaks in the most obvious fashion possible down to a low-class whorehouse. There, she hires a nice girl to come upstairs with her and play poker and chit-chat. For her own safety, the girl is given a handsome sum and told to get the fuck outta dodge after this is over, since the penalty for her would be death. By the time they're done in the whorehouse, there's a small crowd gathered outside to see what happened. As for the real obligitor, we douse him in alcohol and dump him in a public square a few hours later, wearing the same clothes the shapeshifter had on earlier. During his brief stay with us, we harass him enough to instill some pretty serious paranoia, and it makes him look like an even bigger jackass.

The Outcome: the obligator is run out of town. He tries to tell everyone he was kidnapped, and blames it on the house that owns the pit (Hasting), but everyone can see how patently ridiculous that would be. The hooker gets away, and none of our people are even suspected of anything. Success!

At this point, I put up two fingers and go "who's gonna do it with me?" The loud one volunteers.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2013, 07:41:10 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 13, 2013, 10:15:11 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 13, 2013, 09:45:19 PM
Is that based on Brandon Sanderson's books?  It's not a bad setting if so.

Yes, I believe so. Metal eating magic stuff.

Yup, that's the one.

I'm actually reading the first book in the series now; I can see it being a lot of fun for tabletop.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.