News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Why Dirty Old Uncle Roger Opposes Drug Use and Shut Up.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 16, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 16, 2013, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: What The Fox Say on September 16, 2013, 08:11:39 PM
It can be fun, though.

Sure.  I have all sorts of fun that is bad for me and probably isn't giving me anything useful at all, experience-wise.

I've also found that I have more fun at parties if I drink coffee and enjoy some conversation, than if I drink booze and try to have a conversation.

Um.

That's Holy Stuff™, and is totally different.   :lulz:

I mean, by that standard, eating a chocolate bar is taking a drug, right?  It's in fact a very powerful mood-altering drug, at that.

DOUR,
Isn't making an exception for himself, it's just that this doesn't apply to him.  Or words to that effect.

Chocolate fucks me up way worse then alcohol.

I drink once every six months or so, sometimes to excess, sometimes only one or two shots of Whiskey.

But Chocolate, fizzy drinks and sweets are a KILLER for me. At the moment I'm cutting down the bottles of coke to no more then one a week.
Three weeks ago and for the last six months, that has been a litre a day.

I walk home from work in the evenings and every day it's a struggle not to just pig out on sweets. When I do, I eat them until I get the shakes in my hands, and then feel exhausted for hours after that rush is gone.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My main issue with drugs is that they're mostly a waste of time. I do not have time to be all fucked up and not getting anything done.

I guess my other issue with drugs is personal, and that is that I hate most of them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ben Shapiro

Booze is amazing everyone becomes less boring and more funny.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 09:03:47 PM
Quote from: tarod on September 16, 2013, 08:57:40 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 16, 2013, 08:24:06 PM
Quote from: tarod on September 16, 2013, 08:18:06 PM
I mostly agree. I drink, but I'm under no delusion that I'm any smarter or wiser or funnier. I drink to give less fucks. Drugs are meh. I've tried a few.  :evil:

Thanks for the input. 

You seem a little gangsta.

Gangsta? I've been somewhat cranky lately on account of a deadbeat ex. Might account for it.

No worries, I'm a little gangsta myself.  And since this thread is now about how much we get fucked up and where, I'll just wander off and do something else.

Just how better evolved would we be; if we were all straight edge?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 16, 2013, 10:58:11 PM
So the supposed benefits aren't worth the handicap. Like cutting off a right breast to pull a bowstring better, it seems sensible at first but then there's the realization it sets everything off balance.

And you can always SCIENCE and then accidentally a CROSSBOW, and then the cutting off bit is TOTALLY unnecessary.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 17, 2013, 03:25:46 AM
So the supposed benefits aren't worth the handicap. Like cutting off a right breast to pull a bowstring better, it seems sensible at first but then there's the realization it sets everything off balance.

And you can always SCIENCE and then accidentally a CROSSBOW, and then the cutting off bit is TOTALLY unnecessary.

Right. And I SCIENCE best (For Great Justice) when my HEAD is /screwed on straight/.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 17, 2013, 03:31:03 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 17, 2013, 03:25:46 AM

Right. And I SCIENCE best (For Great Justice) when my HEAD is /screwed on straight/.

Yep.  Eureka moments are overrated, and downplay the work involved.  Acid MIGHT give you results (maybe, probably not), work WILL, especially in the sciences.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cainad (dec.)

Drinking makes everyone ELSE's jokes way more funny. I'm a very friendly, gregarious drunk when I keep it below the "totally shitfaced" threshold, at which point I fall asleep.

This makes me realize that alcohol is not the drug I am after when I drink socially. The drug I'm after is LAUGHING MY GODDAMN GUTS OUT, and a bit of booze helps that happen faster, and with people I wouldn't normally click with quite that well.

This is why I no longer use marijuana. It fucks me up in a way wherein I'm 100% aware of how slow and stupid it makes me, which makes me just want to hide in a comfortable hole for a bit until I get my brains back.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on September 17, 2013, 01:58:38 PM
Drinking makes everyone ELSE's jokes way more funny. I'm a very friendly, gregarious drunk when I keep it below the "totally shitfaced" threshold, at which point I fall asleep.

This makes me realize that alcohol is not the drug I am after when I drink socially. The drug I'm after is LAUGHING MY GODDAMN GUTS OUT, and a bit of booze helps that happen faster, and with people I wouldn't normally click with quite that well.

This is why I no longer use marijuana. It fucks me up in a way wherein I'm 100% aware of how slow and stupid it makes me, which makes me just want to hide in a comfortable hole for a bit until I get my brains back.
Interesting.
We have a similar drunk, but a completely different goal with it. My short term goal is not hating having people in my personal space, IE making reality a bit more tolerable. My longer term goal IS to be almost asleep so time passes without me being aware of people.
... Then again, i have problems. mostly with people, in case you couldn't tell.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I somewhat agree with the OP.

I think it depends on what people want to do with their life. I use drugs and I have a pretty damned awesome life. I have a cool job and get to travel all over Europe, I have an awesome wife and we're really happy and I have never had drugs impact my life in a bad way... except alcohol... I've gotten myself pretty sick on too much drink.

Me, I use drugs for the pleasure of the high. I could probably enjoy a 3 day GOA festival without drugs, but I doubt I'd be able to dance for 10 hours in front of 3 story tall speakers and feel like I was having some of the best sex in the world, without some good LSD, a little coke and a few joints. I have no desire to change the world. Its a pretty fucked up place and it will continue to be a fucked up place, no matter what I do. So, I choose to have a fucking good time (and the fucking is important ;-) ). Do I have a good time when no drugs are around? Yes. Do I have a good time when drugs are around? Yes. Am I smacking myself in the pleasure bits of my brain? HELL YES.

That being said, I don't think my experience is true for everyone. I've seen people who use drugs as an escape and it goes badly for them. The important thing, I think, is knowing why the hell you choose to do the drugs. If its to make you feel better, or to escape your shitty life, it won't work and you'll be worse for it. If you're doing it to expand your mind to see the real world, that's a rabbit hole which can suck you in and screw you over.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nigel's stance on recreational drugs (including alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco): Stay away from the hard and/or synthesized stuff, it's bad for your health. A little of the other stuff now and again probably won't hurt you. Do it for fun, not to avoid stress or negative emotions. If you're doing it every day, that's not good for you.

That's about it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 17, 2013, 04:09:52 PM
Me, I use drugs for the pleasure of the high.

And there's nothing really wrong with that.  It's pleasant to be cousin Milty for a while.  But you have to remember the whole leopard thing.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 17, 2013, 06:35:06 PM

And there's nothing really wrong with that.  It's pleasant to be cousin Milty for a while.  But you have to remember the whole leopard thing.
The most disappointing thing about this whole civilized society thing? NO LEOPARDS! how the hell am i going to kill myself in a way that isn't technically suicide now??
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Quote from: :regret: on September 17, 2013, 06:40:12 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 17, 2013, 06:35:06 PM

The most disappointing thing about this whole civilized society thing? NO LEOPARDS! how the hell am i going to kill myself in a way that isn't technically suicide now??

Statistically, probably motor accident.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.