News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

The First Church of the Wrath of Baby Jesus and Open Bar™

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, September 17, 2013, 06:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: stelz on October 13, 2013, 06:30:37 PM
I had an email from twitter this morning telling me to reset my password.

Thanks. Going to see WTF they put there...

lol yeah i sent you a msg also from HagbotCeline (the #discord irc chat bot)  because my phone was telling me that you were telling me about this fantastic way to lose weight :P

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on October 13, 2013, 06:30:37 PM
I had an email from twitter this morning telling me to reset my password.

Thanks. Going to see WTF they put there...

I had the same thing, which is really interesting considering that I never use that account, which means that the hack most likely came from a security problem within Twitter.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 13, 2013, 06:26:57 PM
I've gotten a text a piece from Stelz and Nigel via twitter. Messages that make me think at least you two have had your twitter accounts hacked.

I changed my password and am still unable to log in, which makes me think the problem lies pretty deep.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Lenin McCarthy

Reminds me: One single MP voted against the law that enabled forced sterilization of Norwegian minorities in the 30s. He was not a liberal or a communist or a conservative. He belonged to a small party whose ideology was a weird sort of Christian eco-pacifist-psychoanalysis-corporativism. So it was basically only the crazies who thought shitting on minorities was insane.

Also, I have a girlfriend now. It's weird.

Sita

Meeting with the boy's teachers was as expected. He is failing spectacularly due mostly to not trying. If he doesn't get the right answer immediately he just gives up.
Would rather rush and get stuff, like tests, over with instead of actually making sure the answers are right. He got a 46% on an open book, 10 question test that he had a whole hour to do for freakin' sakes!

So now on the search for free educational games that are of a way he might actually learn without realizing it. Are there any math/reading/science/social studies games that are fighting based? Or racing?

I wish I knew how to teach stuff.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Sita on October 14, 2013, 02:48:58 PM
Meeting with the boy's teachers was as expected. He is failing spectacularly due mostly to not trying. If he doesn't get the right answer immediately he just gives up.
Would rather rush and get stuff, like tests, over with instead of actually making sure the answers are right. He got a 46% on an open book, 10 question test that he had a whole hour to do for freakin' sakes!

So now on the search for free educational games that are of a way he might actually learn without realizing it. Are there any math/reading/science/social studies games that are fighting based? Or racing?

Does he do well with video? Kahn Academy is free and my kids dig it pretty hard.

Suu

It sounds to me that he needs to understand that giving up and rushing are not GOOD THINGS. Rather than finding a game that makes him learn, find something else that makes him work on his patience and let him know that taking his time and asking questions during class is okay. Perhaps making up your own flashcard game in which he is required to get so many answers right before he's allow to go play outside or play a game. Or have dessert even. He's allowed to ask questions, and allowed to look at books. Remind him that he's not allowed to leave or give up until YOU say so.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sita

Quote from: Suu on October 14, 2013, 03:04:58 PM
It sounds to me that he needs to understand that giving up and rushing are not GOOD THINGS. Rather than finding a game that makes him learn, find something else that makes him work on his patience and let him know that taking his time and asking questions during class is okay. Perhaps making up your own flashcard game in which he is required to get so many answers right before he's allow to go play outside or play a game. Or have dessert even. He's allowed to ask questions, and allowed to look at books. Remind him that he's not allowed to leave or give up until YOU say so.
We've been trying to get him to understand this for years. He's already been held back once (he had to take 3rd grade twice) and is at risk of it again if things don't change.

We know he is capable of doing it. He just would rather be off building or shooting zombies or whatever that has more action and play than sitting and studying.
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Sita

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: Sita on October 14, 2013, 02:48:58 PM

Does he do well with video? Kahn Academy is free and my kids dig it pretty hard.
Have tried that. He either gets bored with all the talking or it just makes him more confused.

Sita

It doesn't help that I'm at a complete loss of how to help him to learn. I was one of those kids that caught on to everything quickly and never had to study :(

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sita on October 14, 2013, 03:29:01 PM
It doesn't help that I'm at a complete loss of how to help him to learn. I was one of those kids that caught on to everything quickly and never had to study :(

Crack open his text books and work books, and sit him down while you go through what the books want to be covered.

Cain

Suu

Quote from: Sita on October 14, 2013, 03:25:35 PM
Quote from: Suu on October 14, 2013, 03:04:58 PM
We've been trying to get him to understand this for years. He's already been held back once (he had to take 3rd grade twice) and is at risk of it again if things don't change.

We know he is capable of doing it. He just would rather be off building or shooting zombies or whatever that has more action and play than sitting and studying.

Get him in advanced classes. He's getting bored.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2013, 03:34:07 PM
I think I have to quit this job.

Doing my degree is almost impossible right now, let alone doing my dissertation next year.

Fuck it, I'll work in a supermarket part time, if I have to.  If I can find one hiring.

I can't even imagine trying to work on a graduate degree while working full-time. I'm having a hard enough time with my undergrad and working part-time.