News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Like a Ton of Bricks

Started by East Coast Hustle, December 10, 2004, 11:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

so I was doing a little light reading this morning...you know, just catching up on world events...one story in particular has caught my attention the last couple of days...it gave me an unlikely glimmer of hope the other day when a bunch of National Guard reservists (attending what was supposed to be a "pep rally", more or less) began directing some pretty pointed questions at Donald Rumsfeld, mostly concerning the lack of armor for troops and vehicles on the ground in Iraq. Of course, the spin machines on both sides of the same coin were immediately revved into high gear...the administration's response was that they were spending a ton of money on improving the situation already and they wer edoing all they could, they just couldn't get the contractors to deliver what they needed fast enough. Now it comes out this morning that the contractors in question have the material and production capability to produce a shitload more than they have been, it seems the Defense Department just never bothered to put in any orders for more armor. Now, I wasn't born yesterday...I've known since I was a little kid that the people who comprise the higher levels of the federal government are there to look out for their best interests, not mine or yours. However, I've always been more of the opinion that, good or bad, what we had going was still a whole lot better than anything any other country was doing...even a bad American President was still a positive example to the rest of the world...maybe a little nepotism, influence peddling, financial hoo-hah, all the perks and bennies that are part of the package, but nothing really intentionally inhuman or immoral. And then came the current administration. I sensed a different kind of malfeasance from them. I knew that in addition to the usual petty thievery, they were trying to implement an expansive re-engineering project on the american (and indeed, the world's) political landscape. And for the first time, it seriously occurs to me: we are NOT the good guys. And THEN it hits me like a ton of bricks...we never WERE the good guys. NEVER. Why did the original founders of the colonies come here from Britain? They came to avoid religious persecution. Why was their religion so heavily persecuted? BECAUSE THEY WERE INSUFFERABLE ASSHOLES. The people who founded the colonies that later became this country were assholes. Eventually, there were so many assholes that more land was needed, so, in a display of assholishness still unmatched to this day, our forefathers modernized the art of genocide. Soon, people in other countries learned of our land of opportunity. And all those that were too lazy, shiftless, or criminally-minded to have carved out a decent existence in their country of origin (read: assholes) came to America to try their hand at our brand of assholism. So there you have it. Our country...our entire way of life was founded by ASSHOLES. I guess the only real surprise is that anyone is surprised at what's going on now. Oh...excuse me, please, I have to answer the doorbell...

"Hello?"

"Homeland Security! Open the door!"

...hmm, well, looks like that's all the time we have for today, and remember, when you reach the inevitable conclusion that WE'RE THE ASSHOLES, do the smart thing and keep it to yourself.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

agent compassion

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Cain

Unfortunately no country has a particulary nice History, regardless of who they are.  The only reason we see the "Western Powers" as better is due to the old adage that "history is written by the victors".  I'm sure if you asked the Russians in the early 80s if they thought they were the good guys they would have said yes.  A country that had tried to build a better state for the workers, that had been invaded three times in 20 yeaars by powers seeking their destruction and had successfully fought back the ide of Fascism and won WWII.  Its very mich a matter of perspective and its hard enough to view from the inside in any manner, let alone objectively.

I was speaking with a lecturer in International Relations today, just about current happenings etc and the funny thing was, he was saying similar stuff.  He is a pro-American right-wing Australian, hates apeasers, fully supported the Iraqi War, like the free market etc

And he thing was even he was saying that the current administration were a bunch of criminals and worse.  In theory you would expect him to support them, given his sympathies.  But it seems these guys have even given up the pretence of legitimacy.  I will be the first to admit than any superpower does take drastic, sometimes grossly disproportianate action.  But thats not it with the new guys, they seem to court trouble, they seem intent on ripping up that rather nice Constitution and they seem intent on lining their own pocket at the expense of collapsing the economy, which wont only affect their country, but practically everywhere.

They've upset the balance of power, they dont seem to understand that alliances will form against you if you get too strong, thats the way the international system works. Instead they'd rather a show of power to destroy any counterbalance, say in Europe or Southeast Asia that would develop.  Thats why they decide to use multimillion pound bombs ona third world country, to show "this is what we do to punish our foes."  The nice smart laser missile sytems were a warning to the leaders of any country, not as such out of humanitarian concern.  It was a message to say, "we can even target individuals if we want."  

Ah fuck I've started a rant, this probably doesnt even make sense.  Come the morining I'll see if it still makes sense and delete it otherwise.

Bob the Mediocre

Makes sense. Kinda the opposite of the "all the rugged individualists came here and that's why we're superior to Europe" theory. Wonder if it's a good thing or not that not all the assholes came here.
"we are building a religion
we are making a brand
we're the only ones to turn to when your castles turn to sand
take a bite of this apple
mister corporate events
take a walk through the jungle
of cardboard shanties and tents
some people drink pepsi
some people drink coke
the wacky morning dj says democracy's a joke
he says now do you believe in the one big song
he is now accepting callers who would like to sing along"

I AM A COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKING IDIOT!

Horab Fibslager

i thought everyone who came here did it because teh rest of europpe was too kinky or soemthing...
Hell is other people.

agent compassion

Rugged individualist often = asshole.

YMMV.

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

gnimbley

Oh, look!

The little kitties are starting to open their eyes.

Isn't that cute?

BTW, Scribe, when you get up in the morning and want to delete what you wrote?

Too late.

Quote from: ScribeUnfortunately no country has a particulary nice History, regardless of who they are.  The only reason we see the "Western Powers" as better is due to the old adage that "history is written by the victors".  I'm sure if you asked the Russians in the early 80s if they thought they were the good guys they would have said yes.  A country that had tried to build a better state for the workers, that had been invaded three times in 20 yeaars by powers seeking their destruction and had successfully fought back the ide of Fascism and won WWII.  Its very mich a matter of perspective and its hard enough to view from the inside in any manner, let alone objectively.

I was speaking with a lecturer in International Relations today, just about current happenings etc and the funny thing was, he was saying similar stuff.  He is a pro-American right-wing Australian, hates apeasers, fully supported the Iraqi War, like the free market etc

And he thing was even he was saying that the current administration were a bunch of criminals and worse.  In theory you would expect him to support them, given his sympathies.  But it seems these guys have even given up the pretence of legitimacy.  I will be the first to admit than any superpower does take drastic, sometimes grossly disproportianate action.  But thats not it with the new guys, they seem to court trouble, they seem intent on ripping up that rather nice Constitution and they seem intent on lining their own pocket at the expense of collapsing the economy, which wont only affect their country, but practically everywhere.

They've upset the balance of power, they dont seem to understand that alliances will form against you if you get too strong, thats the way the international system works. Instead they'd rather a show of power to destroy any counterbalance, say in Europe or Southeast Asia that would develop.  Thats why they decide to use multimillion pound bombs ona third world country, to show "this is what we do to punish our foes."  The nice smart laser missile sytems were a warning to the leaders of any country, not as such out of humanitarian concern.  It was a message to say, "we can even target individuals if we want."  

Ah fuck I've started a rant, this probably doesnt even make sense.  Come the morining I'll see if it still makes sense and delete it otherwise.

Cain

Quote from: Bob the MediocreMakes sense. Kinda the opposite of the "all the rugged individualists came here and that's why we're superior to Europe" theory. Wonder if it's a good thing or not that not all the assholes came here.

The problem isn't individuals its people who consitently bleat on about their individuality.  I've had a few discussions with friends about this lately, and my thoughts are people who claim to be individual and make a show of it are normally more insecure and are actually more conformist within a new subculture.

Wishfarple

Quote from: Scribe
Quote from: Bob the MediocreMakes sense. Kinda the opposite of the "all the rugged individualists came here and that's why we're superior to Europe" theory. Wonder if it's a good thing or not that not all the assholes came here.

The problem isn't individuals its people who consitently bleat on about their individuality.  I've had a few discussions with friends about this lately, and my thoughts are people who claim to be individual and make a show of it are normally more insecure and are actually more conformist within a new subculture.

All together, now!

Gargantuan crowd: "We're all individuals!"
Lone, meek voice: "I'm not."

</Life of Brian>

I have to agree with you here, Scribe.  There's very little that's harder to tolerate than someone who's dead-convinced that they're SO individual because they happen to be a rabid part of whatever countercultural fad is most chic at the moment.  This includes Discordians, btw.  Is there a pat, derogatory term for recently-converted Discordians that run around mouthing off about "jaking" and wearing shirts with the Chao on it and telling everyone how enlightened they are?  Like, Appleheads or something?  There should be.
His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
Temple of Cleveland

Bella

Quote from: gnimbleyOh, look!

The little kitties are starting to open their eyes.

Isn't that cute?

They're sweet when they open their eyes, aren't they?

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was raised by some of the biggest assholes around.
So I've always been extremely cynical and well aware that we're all assholes and monsters.

It's really a shame, but there it is.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

agent compassion

QuoteThere's very little that's harder to tolerate than someone who's dead-convinced that they're SO individual because they happen to be a rabid part of whatever countercultural fad is most chic at the moment. This includes Discordians, btw. Is there a pat, derogatory term for recently-converted Discordians that run around mouthing off about "jaking" and wearing shirts with the Chao on it and telling everyone how enlightened they are? Like, Appleheads or something? There should be.

Oh, yes, the "Hot Topic" crowd who didn't give a shit about Foamy when he was just a web squerrel, but now that he's got mall-merch they all go gaga over it....or Madonna with her fucking Kabbalistic Konsumerism mouthing off about Israel on talk shows...(psst: Hey, Madge, you're not Jewish OR British, ok? Kill the accent!)

Here's my idea: Since you mention the Chao...well, Chao = Singular of Chaos = sounds like "cow" and what happens to posers, they quit, they disappear, they get verbally slaughtered by more experienced Discordians for their ignorance, and what happens to cows? They get slaughtered, and turned into cheeseburgers. So I would call them "Cheeseburgers."

:twisted:

I feel like Discordianism is like that old "Kroz" game I used to play where there were deeper and deeper levels, and you could always skip a level and go down further, but you'd be killed off in like 2 seconds because you weren't ready; sometimes it feels very shallow and silly but then other times a little light goes on on my head, and I'll see how deep it really goes, and follow it down.

You just can't fake the light. Wisdom is not impressed by accessories.

(That said, I'd really dig a Hand of Eris pendant, regardless...)

Cain

Funny you should mention Madonna, she lives very close to my home, in fact my mum knows the sister of someone who used to work there for her.  Ah the stories I could tell and be bankruted for...

Also, about the "cheeseburgers", isnt that in part who the Discordian Jihad should be against?  I admit I am fairly new to the whole thing though I have a slight head start due to (in theory) studying Philosophy and so am going by websites that are mostly never updated and odd tracts I find in random places (like the one that bought me here actually).

But I am willing to learn, an important trait I picked up from martial arts training.  Never think you know it all.  Never tire of learning.  Once you think you have learnt it all, or think you are "enlightened" then it will elude you.  You will have lost the "true way" (my reading of Musashi is showing here, isnt it?).  The way is never attained, one can only live through it, it is not an object to be seized and coveted.

Wishfarple

Quote from: Scribe
Also, about the "cheeseburgers", isnt that in part who the Discordian Jihad should be against?  I admit I am fairly new to the whole thing though I have a slight head start due to (in theory) studying Philosophy and so am going by websites that are mostly never updated and odd tracts I find in random places (like the one that bought me here actually).

But I am willing to learn, an important trait I picked up from martial arts training.  Never think you know it all.  Never tire of learning.  Once you think you have learnt it all, or think you are "enlightened" then it will elude you.  You will have lost the "true way" (my reading of Musashi is showing here, isnt it?).  The way is never attained, one can only live through it, it is not an object to be seized and coveted.

It's great to learn, but one thing I've come to understand is that it doesn't do much good to think too much about your religion.  Yeah, it sounds stupid, but I think the thing is that there's only so much material a brain can actually absorb, adn mull over, and internalize at once, so there reaches a point pretty quickly when you've just got to stop reading new stuff and deal with what you already have.  It'll all be there when you're ready to go on again.  Of course, what do I know?  

Cheeseburgers is good!  I was thinking of something along the lines of Chao Patties, as well.
His Right Most Honorable Super Hella Reverend Llama Wishfart Rinpoche of the Church of Ed Gein (Deceased),
Temple of Cleveland

agent compassion

QuoteNever think you know it all. Never tire of learning. Once you think you have learnt it all, or think you are "enlightened" then it will elude you. You will have lost the "true way" (my reading of Musashi is showing here, isnt it?). The way is never attained, one can only live through it, it is not an object to be seized and coveted.

GMTA. It's one of the reasons I don't get along with organized religion at all, because it sells this concept of "read this book, eat this cracker, say the magic words and we'll give you all the answers." I don't believe we can ever have "all the answers." Some questions NEED to go unanswered, as it's the question itself that matters.

Cain

Well, when i spoke about learning I also just meant generally.  People do tend to over intellectualise stuff alot, something I try to avoid if possible.