News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Both fat people and poor people make the wrong choices.

Started by Pæs, September 24, 2013, 06:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Alty on September 24, 2013, 08:54:55 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on September 24, 2013, 08:26:17 PM
Clearly the solution is for MonsantoPfizerBristolMeyersSquibb to develop a GM probiotic that gives the poor the ability to digest grass.

I'd sign right up. Just look at all those lawn farms. I'd be rich in grass!
I remember hearing that one of the causes for the E.Coli problem in our meat supply is that we feed our cows corn instead of grass feed because its cheaper. So then i thought, what if farms paid their neighbors for their grass clippings? Like kinda how bottle collection works, but with grass.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Hoopla on September 24, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
Also, and I'm only being partly facetious here... food which is bad for you often tastes really really good, in addition to being cheap.
Salt, sugar and saturated fats.
Salt enhances taste so it makes practically everything taste better, sugar is a drug, and saturated fats lengthen the taste-experience. Though i'm not entirely sure about the last one, it just makes sense to me.
Salt is extremely effective for it's cost when compared to other taste-enhancers.
Sugar is cheap for a simple reason: the stuff is easy to make.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 24, 2013, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 24, 2013, 06:48:58 PM
There is also growing evidence that status inequality is the largest contributor to obesity, for all the reasons Alty mentioned. Not total income, but relative income, and how great the status differential is.

I am intrigued and wish to know more.

Oh god, my internet is still fucked... but when it's unfucked remind me and I'll post links. Or you could probably find relevant info by searching for John Sapolsky's stress and status inequality studies, stress and obesity, obesity and income inequality. That's really vague, I'm sorry! I will try to be more helpful when I have restored access. There is a particular documentary that contains most of the information but I don't remember the name of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I think I will eat a kiwi a day in solidarity  . . .
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 25, 2013, 02:20:06 AM
There is also growing evidence that status inequality is the largest contributor to obesity, for all the reasons Alty mentioned. Not total income, but relative income, and how great the status differential is.

Oh god, my internet is still fucked... but when it's unfucked remind me and I'll post links. Or you could probably find relevant info by searching for John Sapolsky's stress and status inequality studies, stress and obesity, obesity and income inequality. That's really vague, I'm sorry! I will try to be more helpful when I have restored access. There is a particular documentary that contains most of the information but I don't remember the name of it.

I was hoping you'd say Sapolsky, I'll google around and see what I can come up with. It's probably in that lecture series, I'm pretty sure it'll at least be touched on in them. Been working my way slowly through them, good stuff there.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 25, 2013, 08:10:51 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 25, 2013, 02:20:06 AM

I was hoping you'd say Sapolsky, I'll google around and see what I can come up with. It's probably in that lecture series, I'm pretty sure it'll at least be touched on in them. Been working my way slowly through them, good stuff there.

That guy is pretty amazing.

Also I said "John" Sapolsky, which I just noticed.  :lulz: That was a tiredness-induced conflation of John Cacioppo and Robert Sapolsky, pay it no heed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

I tend to think of lecturers by surname anyway, so I completely missed that too.

Probably off topic, but Cacioppo? Worth a look I assume?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 25, 2013, 08:19:46 AM
I tend to think of lecturers by surname anyway, so I completely missed that too.

Probably off topic, but Cacioppo? Worth a look I assume?

Oh, absolutely! He's a social neuroscientist (which I would argue that Sapolsky is as well) who has done really interesting research on the effect of loneliness on health.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Something else, slummy neighborhoods are food deserts.
Try finding all that fresh produce at Dollar General or the EZ Mart.

ETA: Or not even that. Try finding a goddamn ONION. Or frozen vegetables. Dollar stores always have freezers with just ice cream, bad frozen pizza and fried cheese.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on September 26, 2013, 05:30:33 AM
Something else, slummy neighborhoods are food deserts.
Try finding all that fresh produce at Dollar General or the EZ Mart.

ETA: Or not even that. Try finding a goddamn ONION. Or frozen vegetables. Dollar stores always have freezers with just ice cream, bad frozen pizza and fried cheese.

This is also true.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on September 24, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
Also, and I'm only being partly facetious here... food which is bad for you often tastes really really good, in addition to being cheap.

Necro bump.

Having adjusted to a diabetic diet (no corn syrup, among other things), food which is bad for you more or less tastes like ass once you get over the corn syrup withdrawals.
Molon Lube