News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Labhacks.

Started by Kai, September 27, 2013, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

http://labhacks.tumblr.com/

Two things from this site that I want to/will be using in the future.

1. http://labhacks.tumblr.com/post/62420107780/the-25-scrunchable-scientific-poster One of the major pains of presenting a poster at a scientific meeting is keeping it from getting damaged in transit. With a fabric poster, I no longer have that issue. Hell, I don't even need to use a tube! Just fold or scrunch that thing up and it can fit in my suitcase.

2. http://derisilab.ucsf.edu/index.php?page=3D I didn't really care about 3-D printing either way until I discovered all the useful tools I could make. These include standard tools I can purchase, or custom things that don't exist. I've been looking to make some custom tool storage systems for my dissection kit, and I just realized how easy this would be with a 3-D printer.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH MY GOD I love the fabric poster! That's brilliant, and it's cheaper than what the print lab at school charges for poster paper! Thanks Kai!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Now you have me looking at custom fabric printing  :argh!:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Spoonflower is an awesome thing.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Kai

Quote from: Sad Sack on September 27, 2013, 10:32:06 PM
Now you have me looking at custom fabric printing  :argh!:

The best thing is, you can Big Words it outside, and it won't fall apart in weather.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

After two posters, you could make a dress out of them! After six, you could make a bedspread!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 28, 2013, 01:03:57 AM
After two posters, you could make a dress out of them! After six, you could make a bedspread!

Clothing from scientific posters. That is the nerdiest thing I've heard all day, and I nerd for a /living/.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Kai on September 28, 2013, 01:40:48 AM

Clothing from scientific posters. That is the nerdiest thing I've heard all day, and I nerd for a /living/.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111558439/periodic-table-full-skirt

Kai

Quote from: Sad Sack on September 28, 2013, 01:49:04 AM

If it was longer I would buy it. *doesn't do short skirts*

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I actually might have to do it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on September 28, 2013, 01:53:24 AM

One scientific poster would be about the right size to make an ankle-length skirt... just sew it into a tube, fold over the top to make a pocket for the elastic, add elastic, bam.

Kai

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 28, 2013, 02:37:55 AM

One scientific poster would be about the right size to make an ankle-length skirt... just sew it into a tube, fold over the top to make a pocket for the elastic, add elastic, bam.

Then that's settled. My future posters will all be fabric, and when I'm done explaining, I will wear them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on September 28, 2013, 05:37:06 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 28, 2013, 02:37:55 AM

Then that's settled. My future posters will all be fabric, and when I'm done explaining, I will wear them.

That is going to be AWESOME!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm thinking, I'll sew two back-to-back, leave a head hole and arm holes, belt it... SCIENTIFIC PEASANT DRESS.

Kai

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 28, 2013, 06:13:03 PM
I'm thinking, I'll sew two back-to-back, leave a head hole and arm holes, belt it... SCIENTIFIC PEASANT DRESS.

And then you must take pictures. For science, of course.