News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Unlimited Higher Education Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 28, 2013, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Instead of expensive text book professor thought this was a better idea.

cris

Does taking college classes in highschool count as higher education?

I don't think im allowed to bitch in this thread :c

Am I?

Probably not.

But I dont have to follow your fucking standards.

I swear I can't fucking memorize any of the pythagorean Identities or various other trigonometric functions :c
And how the hell am I supposed to know how to write college essays and pass them :c
And you can't just tell me to write a thousand word case study without even telling me what a case study is ;-;

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: cris on September 30, 2013, 03:01:38 AM
Does taking college classes in highschool count as higher education?

I don't think im allowed to bitch in this thread :c

Am I?

Probably not.

But I dont have to follow your fucking standards.

I swear I can't fucking memorize any of the pythagorean Identities or various other trigonometric functions :c
And how the hell am I supposed to know how to write college essays and pass them :c
And you can't just tell me to write a thousand word case study without even telling me what a case study is ;-;

If you're taking college classes in a college setting, then yep, you can bitch (or exult) about higher education ITT.

If for some reason you don't understand basic college-level concepts, you can ask for help here or find a tutor through your college's learning/resource center.

If you are running into a lot of mathematical concepts you don't already know, you should probably re-take the prerequisites.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Quote from: Cuddlefish on September 28, 2013, 10:25:01 PM
If I have to read Descartes one more fucking time, I'm going to turn into an evil demon.

renee descartes walks into a bar, sits down, and doesn't order anything

the bartender finally gets annoyed, "are you going to order something or what?"

he says, "...I think not." ---------and POOF, ceases to exist

Quote from: Cuddlefish on September 29, 2013, 06:16:43 PM
Side complaint: 'Epistemology' is called 'Truth, knowledge and belief' at URI. They say they made this choice in terms because 'no one knows what's meant by 'epistemology.'" I would argue that no one knows what's meant by 'Truth, Knowledge and Belief,' either. So, way to go URI. Shoot for that lowest common denominator.

:lol: I once took a class called "Social Behavior". The professor said the actual title of the course is "Ethnomethodology" but when they used that title, nobody signed up.

Cain

-

Suu

I am in a gen ed for religious studies...in a lecture hall of 250 whiny undergrads who don't want to be there and were hoping for an easy A. They bitch about the attendance, they bitch how the class is bullshit, and they bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about anyone who knows the answer to a question they do not. Like me, apparently.

I forgot that college is apparently middle school these days, because I walked into the ladies room on Thursday after class to hear a clutch, a gaggle, if you will, of girls bitching that I knew the answer to a trivia question they did not, and therefore, I was some sort of show off.

No, you cunts, I'm a fucking history major, and I learned it in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. (In 1614, who married who in the Virginia Colony? - Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) and John Rolfe.) That's not rocket science, that's not showing off, that's me showing you fucking shitheadimii maximii up so maybe you can actually learn something without having to copy off of your friends.

The icing on the cake for me was when the kid behind me said "England" when the professor asked the class what country Columbus sailed for, expecting a chorus of "Spain!" He got a mixed bag of answers instead. :/

I like the class materials, I really do. We're currently covering the history of Judaism (the above mentioned lecture was a precursor to discussion on the Diaspora in North America) but it's so hard to focus, even sitting deliberately in the front row, when I have to deal with the sheer amount of idiocity surrounding me.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

-

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a distinct lack of enthusiasm for this term. I love my bio professor but I hate my chem professor and I don't give a fuck about architecture and resent that I have to take arts & humanities at all. I am also running circles around everyone else in that class which I am sure makes me look enthusiastic but nothing could be farther from the truth.

Hate my chem teacher. Hate hate hate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cramulus on September 30, 2013, 04:04:12 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on September 28, 2013, 10:25:01 PM
If I have to read Descartes one more fucking time, I'm going to turn into an evil demon.

renee descartes walks into a bar, sits down, and doesn't order anything

the bartender finally gets annoyed, "are you going to order something or what?"

he says, "...I think not." ---------and POOF, ceases to exist

I think they put the horse in front of Decartes on that one.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

I stopped in my 3rd year of university because kids, no money, etc.

If I had finished, I would have STARTED in the job I worked up to being in today.  Which would have been nice.

But I would also have been Mike the Engineer, because I wouldn't have had the time in the trenches that taught me my ass from a hole in the ground.

But that may be specific to my field.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 01, 2013, 12:07:26 AM

If I had finished, I would have STARTED in the job I worked up to being in today.  Which would have been nice.

But I would also have been Mike the Engineer, because I wouldn't have had the time in the trenches that taught me my ass from a hole in the ground.

Not specific to your field. There are people in my department who rank higher than me, not because they actually know anything but because they went to school for 4 years. They are consistently wrong about everything, but their ideas are always more valuable and their plans are always tried first, because you know, "diploma." And when everything blows up and those of us who know what we're doing because we've been in those trenches have to go in and fix everything, we still don't get any credit because we should have just implemented things better from the start.

Of course, this is not to say that the best way to become a brain surgeon or a physicist is by trial and error. I just don't think a University education is necessarily the best form of education for everything.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 01, 2013, 01:03:05 AM

Not specific to your field. There are people in my department who rank higher than me, not because they actually know anything but because they went to school for 4 years. They are consistently wrong about everything, but their ideas are always more valuable and their plans are always tried first, because you know, "diploma." And when everything blows up and those of us who know what we're doing because we've been in those trenches have to go in and fix everything, we still don't get any credit because we should have just implemented things better from the start.

Of course, this is not to say that the best way to become a brain surgeon or a physicist is by trial and error. I just don't think a University education is necessarily the best form of education for everything.

I learned my actual trade as an apprentice, in my mid-20s.  For some things, I still think that's the absolute best way to go.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on September 30, 2013, 04:42:50 PM
I am in a gen ed for religious studies...in a lecture hall of 250 whiny undergrads who don't want to be there and were hoping for an easy A. They bitch about the attendance, they bitch how the class is bullshit, and they bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch about anyone who knows the answer to a question they do not. Like me, apparently.

I forgot that college is apparently middle school these days, because I walked into the ladies room on Thursday after class to hear a clutch, a gaggle, if you will, of girls bitching that I knew the answer to a trivia question they did not, and therefore, I was some sort of show off.

No, you cunts, I'm a fucking history major, and I learned it in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. (In 1614, who married who in the Virginia Colony? - Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) and John Rolfe.) That's not rocket science, that's not showing off, that's me showing you fucking shitheadimii maximii up so maybe you can actually learn something without having to copy off of your friends.

The icing on the cake for me was when the kid behind me said "England" when the professor asked the class what country Columbus sailed for, expecting a chorus of "Spain!" He got a mixed bag of answers instead. :/

I like the class materials, I really do. We're currently covering the history of Judaism (the above mentioned lecture was a precursor to discussion on the Diaspora in North America) but it's so hard to focus, even sitting deliberately in the front row, when I have to deal with the sheer amount of idiocity surrounding me.

Sounds more like ignorance.

There are three separate things that people group under intelligence, that are actually VERY different things.
1.  Actual intelligence.
2.  Education.
3.  Experience.

You seem to be confusing #1 and #2.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unfortunately, it's not.

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 01, 2013, 01:33:15 AM
Quote from: Suu on September 30, 2013, 04:42:50 PM

Sounds more like ignorance.

There are three separate things that people group under intelligence, that are actually VERY different things.
1.  Actual intelligence.
2.  Education.
3.  Experience.

You seem to be confusing #1 and #2.

And I have more of #3 than they do, which results in my frustration. Still, Columbus sailing from England? I want to go back and kick his kindergarten teacher in the taint.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."