News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Running Out of Tucson

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 07, 2013, 05:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 07, 2013, 06:01:53 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:50:30 PM
looking like Escher had a Thalidomide baby with Davinci.  Not a pretty baby.  No. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see that.

It's not as cool as it sounds.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 07, 2013, 05:49:03 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 05:46:19 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:33:37 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 05:32:33 PM
Find an art gallery that has stuff you like. Hang about a bit, explain what you're looking for, ask if they know anyone or of any upcoming openings that might be fruitful. "Like" a bunch of gallery Facebook pages, too, because they often send invites to their openings via their Facebook pages.

I don't know about Tucson, but in Portland a common method of advertising is to give the artists a bunch of postcard-size ads to give to their friends. Artists often do things like leave stacks of these cards in nearby coffee shops and bars, so look in places like those. Once you're in, you'll start constantly finding out about these, and the way to get in is really to start with one gallery you like, go to a couple of their openings and meet people, and it will just expand from there.

Thanks, Nigel!  I will do that.

Good luck! Artists can be fun. Especially people who weld and shit. Painters are a little prim for my tastes (although I have some painter friends I love) but those sculptor types can be a wild ride. I could actually see you as a sculptor.

I have no talent in that department, but sculpture is my favorite form of art outside of the written word.

Talent!? All you have to do is melt shit together until it looks like the thing in your brain!
and that is where talent and skill come in.

Skill is learned. Talent is expressed.

Can't know if you never try! Maybe a good retirement gig, know what I mean?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 06:04:14 PM

My general plan for retirement is to emulate The Terrible Old Man, and write poison pen letters to every public figure I've ever heard of, and most of my relatives.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

You need to make graven images unto the Black Madonna.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 07, 2013, 06:06:05 PM

Actually, I had the tech geeks make an icon in their new 3D resin printer.

It sits on my mantlepiece.

I shall see if I can get them to make a pile of these things.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 06:05:16 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 06:04:14 PM

My general plan for retirement is to emulate The Terrible Old Man, and write poison pen letters to every public figure I've ever heard of, and most of my relatives.

:lulz: That sounds delightful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 06:07:20 PM

SO ENVIOUS!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 06:07:20 PM

SO ENVIOUS!

I got my boss to pay for memberships for my entire crew.  Roy and TKN are getting involved in the 3D scanner project.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 05:33:37 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 05:32:33 PM
Find an art gallery that has stuff you like. Hang about a bit, explain what you're looking for, ask if they know anyone or of any upcoming openings that might be fruitful. "Like" a bunch of gallery Facebook pages, too, because they often send invites to their openings via their Facebook pages.

I don't know about Tucson, but in Portland a common method of advertising is to give the artists a bunch of postcard-size ads to give to their friends. Artists often do things like leave stacks of these cards in nearby coffee shops and bars, so look in places like those. Once you're in, you'll start constantly finding out about these, and the way to get in is really to start with one gallery you like, go to a couple of their openings and meet people, and it will just expand from there.

Thanks, Nigel!  I will do that.

Good luck! Artists can be fun. Especially people who weld and shit. Painters are a little prim for my tastes (although I have some painter friends I love) but those sculptor types can be a wild ride. I could actually see you as a sculptor.

I have no talent in that department, but sculpture is my favorite form of art outside of the written word.

Sculptor things you are writing about?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmm we actually have 3D printers that theoretically, I could be using for stuff.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 09, 2013, 03:09:31 AM
Hmmm we actually have 3D printers that theoretically, I could be using for stuff.
I imagine this while people are watching the printer make something Nigel designed.
:peedee:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 09, 2013, 06:00:10 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 09, 2013, 03:09:31 AM
I imagine this while people are watching the printer make something Nigel designed.
:peedee:

:lulz:

Pæs

I would totally appreciate the shit out of a Howl Industries Mechanical Boyfriend submitted to a gallery as art.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on October 11, 2013, 04:58:39 AM
I would totally appreciate the shit out of a Howl Industries Mechanical Boyfriend submitted to a gallery as art.

I know a gallery that would be into that.