News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Why I'm not an Atheist

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 30, 2013, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 07:31:58 AM
To touch on one very small part of what you've said, it isn't even possible to take cultures out of the picture, as we all inherently filter every single piece of information we collect through our cultural egregore.
Very true, it's impossible for a scientist to objectively separate himself from his cultural biases 100% of the time, and even if he could,  how often are his observations wrong due to the fact that everything he hears, sees and experiences is filtered through a highly flawed series of nerve endings and monkey brains?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 09, 2013, 05:08:05 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 07:31:58 AM
To touch on one very small part of what you've said, it isn't even possible to take cultures out of the picture, as we all inherently filter every single piece of information we collect through our cultural egregore.
Very true, it's impossible for a scientist to objectively separate himself from his cultural biases 100% of the time, and even if he could,  how often are his observations wrong due to the fact that everything he hears, sees and experiences is filtered through a highly flawed series of nerve endings and monkey brains?

Recognizing cultural bias in scientists has been a significant and startlingly recent advance in science.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Speaking of cultural biases....

hooplala

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 11, 2013, 01:06:23 AM

That's not really fair, all atheists eat babies.  That's like blaming a particular jewish person for chewing off foreskins.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 09, 2013, 04:46:30 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 09, 2013, 04:16:57 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 09, 2013, 03:00:57 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 08, 2013, 09:09:56 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 05:52:18 PM
Speak for yourself, white man.

What part of what I wrote did you disagree with?

Partly the "we" thing, and partly just being tongue-in-cheek. Because, as I've mentioned before, the culture in the NW is very NOT "we act like God exists whether he does or not". So, there's some YMMV stuff in there.

There's no swearing on a bible in court?  Or does that not happen anymore?  Does your Pledge of Allegiance not mention the ultimate Big Brother?

I have never actually heard the Pledge of Allegiance in person, and they don't say it at my children's schools. I know they say it as an optional thing in some schools, I just haven't encountered it.

There's no bible in court! :lol:

Yes, in Mass the kids said the pledge WITHOUT "under god", in Texas they have to say it, of course.  :horrormirth: Well, maybe they can't legally force them, but if you made a stink over it you'd have a bunch of outraged ignorant yahoos seeking even more revenge than they normally do.

But no bible in court, not even here. You do have to raise your hand and get sworn in, but no god stuff.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Hoopla on October 11, 2013, 01:36:57 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 11, 2013, 01:06:23 AM

That's not really fair, all atheists eat babies.  That's like blaming a particular jewish person for chewing off foreskins.

:spittake: