PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Why I'm not an Atheist

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 30, 2013, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 30, 2013, 10:23:00 PM
Quote from: Reverend What's His Bear on September 30, 2013, 06:31:04 PM
On a scale of 1-5 (1= God is Real, 5 = LOL GOD) Most Atheists are about 4-4.5 anyone who says they're a 5 I do no business with them. If you're a different shade of Agnostic then that's completely different. You should totally take the class though. Just hope your body is prepared for the smugness that plagues that community.

My body is not ready. I mean, what am I supposed to say? "Congratulations"?

Nigel them hard if they start foaming at the mouth. Maybe the community is harmless their in Portland. To clarify any misunderstandings ,Nigel the elective hard as usual.

tyrannosaurus vex

I think it boils down to agnosticism for me really. Although I will say that, although I am not certain whether or not there is a God, I can say with absolute certainty that if there is one, it is nothing at all like the Abrahamic religions portray it. There's just no possible way that the ultimate power in existence is a petty, grumpy old codger with a serious and peculiar distaste for such specific behaviors.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

rong

I believe Atheism requires just as much faith as any other religion.  In the end it is still a belief.

that said, I choose to believe in God.  I don't exactly know what sort of God I believe in, but I believe God exists.  I guess the God I believe in is beyond knowability and it is fallacy to try to completely understand.  I choose this because I can't deal with the existential crisis that comes with believing there is no God.  I am aware that this may not be rational, but I'm ok with that. 

On the topic, without getting too preachy - I had some seriously hard shit to deal with happen to me last summer.  I decided to start going to church.  I think it really helped me cope and I felt like it was a good idea.  I don't go anymore, but I might start going back.  I do have serious problems with organized religion as I feel that many, if not all, prey on the weak minded.  I continue to think about it and I think that's all anyone should do.

I do have major problems with people that try to push their beliefs onto other people whatever they may be.  I think if you find something that works for you and makes you happy, then go with it.  But, it's important to realize that someone else may have found something different that works for them and makes them happy.  Leave them alone.  Compare notes and experiences if you like, but respect the other person's choice.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

Agnostics are all filthy fence-sitters who are gonna BURN BURN BURN!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 01, 2013, 04:49:18 AM

I have done WAAAY too much LSD to be an (absolute) atheist.
On the other hand, I have also seen too much Current Events coverage to believe in any kind of God who's worth consideration.
Agnosticism is all I have left.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 01, 2013, 04:58:48 AM

On the other hand, I have also seen too much Current Events coverage to believe in any kind of God who's worth consideration.

If you consider God malevolent, all the contradictions disappear.

Just saying.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 01, 2013, 05:01:12 AM

Just saying.

If God is malevolent, he's already second-best. Hard to imagine a deity wreaking more havoc than we do to ourselves and each other.

Nephew Twiddleton

Just saying.

Your avatar improves the quality of this post.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 01, 2013, 05:09:44 AM

Just saying.

If God is malevolent, he's already second-best. Hard to imagine a deity wreaking more havoc than we do to ourselves and each other.

Never read Genesis, have we?  :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

God also could be stunningly inept, or trying to answer everyone's prayers such that unintended consequences occur.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 01, 2013, 01:27:32 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 01, 2013, 01:26:26 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 01, 2013, 12:40:09 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 30, 2013, 11:00:49 PM
I hear the "my religion was bad and here's why i'm going to vent my lingering frustrations with the traditions i was brought up in to you " argument sometimes, but then I look around at other human systems and note that it really doesn't seem to be specific to religion at all.
Fixed :lulz:

Yeah, I think you about nailed it. And I think that possibly I don't "get" atheism because I wasn't raised religious.

I was raised by Anglicans.  Religion is something you do behind closed doors, and you wash your hands afterward.  So, yeah, nothing to rebel against.

Those are basically the same as Episcopalians, right? Pacifists, ecumenical, anti-bigotry, generally emphasize kindness and keeping out of everyone's face? Yep, nothing to rebel against, really. My ex-husband brought his Episcopal priest home to try to convert me, once. We had a nice conversation and it ended with the priest saying "I see your perspective, and it's valid".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on October 01, 2013, 02:19:33 AM
1st reply pre-thread-read (i did read OP though)

What i do not like about atheism is its inherent vindictiveness... to me it personally reeks of angry teenager that is trying to "ill-show-you-people!!!". It's more a matter of tone rather than posture, I can emphatize with "silent atheists" that don't run amok among the world preaching it or thinking they are so special and "radical" thinking their belief makes them better people.

In fact the goddamn tone of of "holier than thou" directly parallels to "smarter than thou" which each respective clan generally represents... "oh, im a miserable fuck bordering on sociopathy, but im religious so that makes me righteous" contrasted to "oh, im so intellectually superior, me is uber-menschen!!!"... NO, BOTH OF YOU, SHUT THE FUCK UP. I dont care what your belief system is (anymore), what i care about is what you DO, not what you SAY. If being religious, or being a-religious gives the same conclusion of you being a monster then what difference does it make?

I'm agnostic, because believing god doesnt exist is as good in the scale of critical thinking as believing god exists. Stop bothering me with your silly answers to silly questions, monkeys, im KIND OF busy doing things that dont pertain to invisible unperceptible beings!

Yes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on October 01, 2013, 03:51:02 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on October 01, 2013, 02:19:33 AM
1st reply pre-thread-read (i did read OP though)

What i do not like about atheism is its inherent vindictiveness... to me it personally reeks of angry teenager that is trying to "ill-show-you-people!!!". It's more a matter of tone rather than posture, I can emphatize with "silent atheists" that don't run amok among the world preaching it or thinking they are so special and "radical" thinking their belief makes them better people.

In fact the goddamn tone of of "holier than thou" directly parallels to "smarter than thou" which each respective clan generally represents... "oh, im a miserable fuck bordering on sociopathy, but im religious so that makes me righteous" contrasted to "oh, im so intellectually superior, me is uber-menschen!!!"... NO, BOTH OF YOU, SHUT THE FUCK UP. I dont care what your belief system is (anymore), what i care about is what you DO, not what you SAY. If being religious, or being a-religious gives the same conclusion of you being a monster then what difference does it make?

I'm agnostic, because believing god doesnt exist is as good in the scale of critical thinking as believing god exists. Stop bothering me with your silly answers to silly questions, monkeys, im KIND OF busy doing things that dont pertain to invisible unperceptible beings!

haha. bolded is pretty much where I stand. I describe myself as a hardcore agnostic for reasons that are- it winds up the uber-atheism crowd, and I'm pretty much seen by theists and atheists as a secular humanist, being as I don't know, can't prove either argument and I think the world at large has have more important things to think about, like STOP BEING DICKS TO EACH OTHER. I used to be pretty fucking outlandishly pagan though until about 18 months before I went talky head gremlin crazy and occams razor'd my way through the bonkers using SCIENCE.

Both my  religious acquaintances and my atheist friends think my stance is weird tho. they are all BUT ORIGINS! WHY ARE WE HERE? and I'm all quit your navel gazing and encourage people to be less of a dick. Incidentally this is why I like Buddhism and Taoism but without the woo, as it's about ethics.

Also yes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on October 01, 2013, 04:45:54 AM
I believe Atheism requires just as much faith as any other religion.  In the end it is still a belief.

that said, I choose to believe in God.  I don't exactly know what sort of God I believe in, but I believe God exists.  I guess the God I believe in is beyond knowability and it is fallacy to try to completely understand.  I choose this because I can't deal with the existential crisis that comes with believing there is no God.  I am aware that this may not be rational, but I'm ok with that. 

On the topic, without getting too preachy - I had some seriously hard shit to deal with happen to me last summer.  I decided to start going to church.  I think it really helped me cope and I felt like it was a good idea.  I don't go anymore, but I might start going back.  I do have serious problems with organized religion as I feel that many, if not all, prey on the weak minded.  I continue to think about it and I think that's all anyone should do.

I do have major problems with people that try to push their beliefs onto other people whatever they may be.  I think if you find something that works for you and makes you happy, then go with it.  But, it's important to realize that someone else may have found something different that works for them and makes them happy.  Leave them alone.  Compare notes and experiences if you like, but respect the other person's choice.

I think that churches in the form of active communities that support one another and further a dialogue about treating people right are useful. Any form of active community that furthers that dialogue is useful. I also see horribly dogmatic churches that view anyone not a member of  their church as a lesser human being, and those are harmful regardless of the basis of that community. I see a lot of special-interest groups in that light, including some atheist and "science" communities such as Facebook groups.

rong

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 01, 2013, 08:07:09 AM
Quote from: rong on October 01, 2013, 04:45:54 AM

I think that churches in the form of active communities that support one another and further a dialogue about treating people right are useful. Any form of active community that furthers that dialogue is useful. I also see horribly dogmatic churches that view anyone not a member of  their church as a lesser human being, and those are harmful regardless of the basis of that community. I see a lot of special-interest groups in that light, including some atheist and "science" communities such as Facebook groups.

I fully agree.  I live in the boonies and there is a neighborhood bible church that I went to for awhile.  On one hand, I really like the church because it is essentially all my neighbors and they are good neighbors and there are always snacks and socialization afterwards.  But, I have such a hard time listening to some of the members talk about how they take everything in the bible to be the Truth verbatim, that it makes it hard for me to keep going back.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"