News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Every election cycle, I convince myself that the GOP cannot possibly get any more hilarious or put forward any more comically nutty candidates. Every election cycle, I am wrong.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 11, 2013, 10:36:11 PM
Every election cycle, I convince myself that the GOP cannot possibly get any more hilarious or put forward any more comically nutty candidates. Every election cycle, I am wrong.

Calling it: 

Next election will be Hillary Clinton vs whatever nutcase the GOP can cough up.  Probably not Cruz.  In any case, the republican will be spouting nonsense like a Whig in 1856, and will be treated accordingly.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

MORE CRUZ HILARITY:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/11/20924466-cruz-scoffs-at-nbcwsj-poll-thats-not-reflective-of-where-this-country-is?lite

QuoteTexas Sen. Ted Cruz on Friday sought to cast doubt on the results of a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal that reflected widespread public blame toward the GOP for the government shutdown and Cruz's own popularity suffering.

After delivering a hard-charging defense this morning of a strategy linking funding the government to defunding Obamacare -- a strategy spearheaded by Cruz, which many critics argue contributed to the ongoing shutdown -- Cruz quibbled with the methodology of the poll.

"If you seek out liberal Obama supporters and ask them their views, they're going to tell you they're liberal Obama supporters. That's not reflective of where this country is," Cruz told NBC News in an interview at the Capitol.

And we remember how right the teabaggers were about the polls in 2012, yes?   :lulz:

AWESOME SAUCE, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES.  NON-STOP.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 10:38:00 PM

Calling it: 

Next election will be Hillary Clinton vs whatever nutcase the GOP can cough up.  Probably not Cruz.  In any case, the republican will be spouting nonsense like a Whig in 1856, and will be treated accordingly.

It's either that, or The Great Purge. I could see, at this point, the Republican party either fracturing and re-forming with a new platform that excludes the super-right-wing, or hemorrhaging members to the Working Families Party.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Cruz has stolen Michelle Bachman's place in my heart as My Very Favorite Politician.   :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 10:56:40 PM

Calling it: 

It's either that, or The Great Purge. I could see, at this point, the Republican party either fracturing and re-forming with a new platform that excludes the super-right-wing, or hemorrhaging members to the Working Families Party.

No way.  The WFP is wayyyyy too left for that sort of migration.  More likely, you will see the GOP base just stay at home.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Millions of people are hurting because of Obamacare"  :?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:00:16 PM

Well, the GOP didn't WANT to shut things down, but Obama made them do it.

They didn't mean it, baby.  They can change.  Just give them another chance.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 10:59:31 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 10:56:40 PM

Calling it: 

No way.  The WFP is wayyyyy too left for that sort of migration.  More likely, you will see the GOP base just stay at home.

I don't know that much about them, to tell the truth, but I do know that even my annoying Republican Christian relatives are fed the fuck up with this shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 11:01:18 PM

Wow I didn't even pick up on the fact that he was trying to transfer blame for the shutdown onto the ACA.  :horrormirth:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:03:33 PM

Wow I didn't even pick up on the fact that he was trying to transfer blame for the shutdown onto the ACA.  :horrormirth:

That's what it's been about all the time.

After 50+ attempts to repeal it, they just started sending up budgetary bills that didn't fund it.  The senate told them to blow it out their ass.  Nothing got done, government shut down on no money authorized to pay the bills.

If the dems back off on this one, the GOP will come roaring back like 1980.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 12:08:22 AM

After 50+ attempts to repeal it, they just started sending up budgetary bills that didn't fund it.  The senate told them to blow it out their ass.  Nothing got done, government shut down on no money authorized to pay the bills.

I'm glad most people in the US seem not to be buying it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 12, 2013, 01:08:11 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 12:08:22 AM

I'm glad most people in the US seem not to be buying it.

Gingrich tried the same shit on Clinton.  All it takes is the president at the time to not blink.