News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 02:52:55 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 12, 2013, 01:08:11 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 12:08:22 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:00:16 PM
"Millions of people are hurting because of Obamacare"  :?

Well, the GOP didn't WANT to shut things down, but Obama made them do it.

They didn't mean it, baby.  They can change.  Just give them another chance.

Wow I didn't even pick up on the fact that he was trying to transfer blame for the shutdown onto the ACA.  :horrormirth:

That's what it's been about all the time.

After 50+ attempts to repeal it, they just started sending up budgetary bills that didn't fund it.  The senate told them to blow it out their ass.  Nothing got done, government shut down on no money authorized to pay the bills.

If the dems back off on this one, the GOP will come roaring back like 1980.

I'm glad most people in the US seem not to be buying it.

Gingrich tried the same shit on Clinton.  All it takes is the president at the time to not blink.

Yeah, I don't think Obama's going to blink...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 12, 2013, 02:56:44 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 02:52:55 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 12, 2013, 01:08:11 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 12, 2013, 12:08:22 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:03:33 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 11, 2013, 11:00:16 PM
"Millions of people are hurting because of Obamacare"  :?

Well, the GOP didn't WANT to shut things down, but Obama made them do it.

They didn't mean it, baby.  They can change.  Just give them another chance.

Wow I didn't even pick up on the fact that he was trying to transfer blame for the shutdown onto the ACA.  :horrormirth:

That's what it's been about all the time.

After 50+ attempts to repeal it, they just started sending up budgetary bills that didn't fund it.  The senate told them to blow it out their ass.  Nothing got done, government shut down on no money authorized to pay the bills.

If the dems back off on this one, the GOP will come roaring back like 1980.

I'm glad most people in the US seem not to be buying it.

Gingrich tried the same shit on Clinton.  All it takes is the president at the time to not blink.

Yeah, I don't think Obama's going to blink...

Nope.  The funniest bit is that, constitutionally-speaking, he has no say in any of this until the house and the senate can reach an agreement and send a bill for his signature.

When the GOP is desperate, they'll talk to Reid.  Until then, it's all show.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

Pæs

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

The House has just sent up a "compromise" bill to avoid default.

It's the same "we get everything we want, you get shit" bill, only MORE SO.

They're playing chicken.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 15, 2013, 10:25:20 PM

They're playing chicken.

They want to make changes to a law they don't have the power to repeal legally. Those changes would be permanent, while the funding the bill would allow to reopen the government would run out in December, and the Debt Ceiling debate would come up again in February. They're still demanding permanent concessions in return for a temporary truce in a war they've decided will go on until the end of time.

"Give us a mile, and we'll give you a badly-drawn picture of an illustration of an inch" is now what passes for "compromise" in Washington. The proposal is, of course, DOA in the Senate. And it is even uncertain to pass in the House, because too many Tea Party Republicans oppose it on the grounds that it gives Obama too much.

The lines are drawn, the armies are amassed. The Republicans are clearly scrambling around trying to find a hole through which they can drive their fanatical ideology all the way to the heart of Them Libruls. And the Democrats, showing the first sign of spinal resilience since the days of JFK, are standing firm in their resolve to let the GOP go ahead and hang itself. Meanwhile, in the rest of the country, the wailing and gnashing of teeth has settled into the background like white noise, as people everywhere throw up their hands and their meager lunches in disgust with the whole situation.

Whatever comes next, whether the dreaded Default comes and knocks America down to the Third World as prophesied by lots of people who are smarter than I am; whether Obama (as he is known to do) somehow manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again; whether the Tea Party is ultimately the final nail in the coffin of the Geriatric Ol' Party or just simmers just below boiling for the next 150 years; whatever comes next, America knows one thing for certain.

It's Tuesday, the work week has just begun, and there's a new episode of some really important TV show on tonight. Wake us up when there's something worth caring about.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 15, 2013, 10:25:20 PM

They're playing chicken.

I've not been following this whole clusterfuck as closely as I'd have liked to. This "playing chicken" idea I've seen in a few different locations.

It's been suggested that the only way to "win" chicken is to rip the steering wheel from your car right away at the start. This removes your agency and reduces the opponents choices to "swerve or die".

What I'm thinking is that this is just a practice run. No-ones got the crazy or the balls to burn it all down now.

Next time though, expect to have a steering wheel hit you in the face with "YOUR MOVE FUCKER" screamed at you.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
What I'm thinking is that this is just a practice run. No-ones got the crazy or the balls to burn it all down now.

It's probably too late for them to swerve, at this point.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:13:23 PM

I'll take that bet. Last minute swerves are part of chicken. Steering wheels still seem to be in the cars, there's just no incentive to use them for either side. Yet. When the polls are horrific enough, someone will cave.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:39:55 PM

I'll take that bet. Last minute swerves are part of chicken. Steering wheels still seem to be in the cars, there's just no incentive to use them for either side. Yet. When the polls are horrific enough, someone will cave.

Right, then...Agreement by midnight tomorrow night at midnight, passed and signed.

Loser has to write a 2 page indictment of the winner.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:41:21 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:39:55 PM

Right, then...Agreement by midnight tomorrow night at midnight, passed and signed.

Loser has to write a 2 page indictment of the winner.

I can't take a bet that I know I'm going to lose. Give me Midnight Friday at least.

There's some deadline tomorrow at midnight that I'm not aware of isn't there?