Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 16, 2013, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 16, 2013, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 05:05:41 PM
http://www.today.com/news/outcry-over-students-punishment-helping-drunk-friend-8C11403079#women-gop-senators-debt-deal-lets-get-it-8C11400901

QuoteThree women senators who helped craft a deal being pushed by Senate leaders to resolve the nation's debt crisis said House lawmakers need to rise above politics to quickly pass a deal that will allow the federal government to open its doors and pay its bills.

"This should not be about someone's speakership. This should not be about the next election. This should be about the future of our country, where we are right now. We are shutdown as a government. We are facing a debt crisis," Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska told TODAY's Savannah Guthrie.

Murkowski, along with fellow Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, crafted the compromise plan with the help of a bipartisan group of other women lawmakers.

The deal, however, was rejected by the House and Speaker John Boehner is being criticized for his struggle to keep his members, particularly a small group of the Tea Party conservatives, in line.

Murkowski said the deal at issue is about more than Boehner's political future.

"We need to keep in mind what the real goal here is, which is getting this country back on track. Difficult decisions for all but it ought not to be about the politics of the game or whether or not someone keeps their leadership," she said. "I want to support John Boehner in any way that I can but we need to be pragmatic. This is not going to be a Republican solution or a Democratic solution. This is going to be a solution that is good for the country."

Faced against a deadline just a day away, House leaders are scrambling to craft competing legislation, one that would help dismantle elements of the Affordable Care Act, which Republicans refer to as "Obamacare."

Ayotte said it's time to move past that issue because battle over the health care law already took place, with its detractors losing the fight.

"Let's face it, the government is shutdown, the Obama care exchange is open," she told Guthrie. Using health care as a hurdle to resolving the nation's budget and debt crisis is part of a "zero-sum policy."

So, what we have is Boehner and a few teabaggers shitting all over the country to keep Rush Limbaugh's fans happy.

:rwhn:

Did anyone else notice the article made it extremely clear that these senators were women?  Am I missing something, or does the gender of the person coming up with ways to prevent government default and shutdown not precisely relevant?

Yeah, that was weird.

I think they're playing on the current divide, male vs female, on the shutdown.

It's pandering, of course.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pere Ubu on October 16, 2013, 07:21:22 PM
Hrm, I can't decide whether this is whistling past the graveyard or not:

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/19899-breaking-stop-fretting-the-debt-ceiling-crisis-is-over

QuoteThe Senate bill is a deal to lift the debt ceiling and reopen the government, without a ransom payment. That agreement is set to be announced, but the contours, which were described to me by an aide, will satisfy the Democratic demand not to make concessions for raising the debt ceiling or reopening the government. The House leadership, as everybody on Capitol Hill now expects, will quickly take up the Senate bill and put this debacle behind them. Rounding up the votes should not be a problem. The entire Democratic caucus will support it if needed, leaving Republicans to find just a handful of votes, well within the number that never wanted to shut down the government to begin with.

Well here's hoping.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 16, 2013, 09:35:12 PM
I've been talking with some friends about the possibility of setting up some RECALL FUCKING EVERYONE protests. The process for recalling a representative is pretty standard, it could probably be done.

I still like the drunkdialcongress.org movement. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 16, 2013, 09:35:12 PM
I've been talking with some friends about the possibility of setting up some RECALL FUCKING EVERYONE protests. The process for recalling a representative is pretty standard, it could probably be done.

I still like the drunkdialcongress.org movement.

Oh shit, I knew I forgot to do SOMETHING last night.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 16, 2013, 09:35:55 PM

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/19899-breaking-stop-fretting-the-debt-ceiling-crisis-is-over

QuoteThe Senate bill is a deal to lift the debt ceiling and reopen the government, without a ransom payment. That agreement is set to be announced, but the contours, which were described to me by an aide, will satisfy the Democratic demand not to make concessions for raising the debt ceiling or reopening the government. The House leadership, as everybody on Capitol Hill now expects, will quickly take up the Senate bill and put this debacle behind them. Rounding up the votes should not be a problem. The entire Democratic caucus will support it if needed, leaving Republicans to find just a handful of votes, well within the number that never wanted to shut down the government to begin with.

Well here's hoping.

It'll pass. And it'll seriously piss off the Tea Party. Hopefully, they get so pissed off that they spend the next year making obnoxious asses of themselves at every opportunity and dragging the GOP into a series of increasingly unwinnable battles. Not because that would hand the House back to the Democrats next year, but because I really want to live to see the total collapse of a major political party. With any luck, the Democrats would become the Conservative party and a new actually progressive Liberal party could sprout up.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 16, 2013, 09:47:37 PM

Well here's hoping.

It'll pass. And it'll seriously piss off the Tea Party. Hopefully, they get so pissed off that they spend the next year making obnoxious asses of themselves at every opportunity and dragging the GOP into a series of increasingly unwinnable battles. Not because that would hand the House back to the Democrats next year, but because I really want to live to see the total collapse of a major political party. With any luck, the Democrats would become the Conservative party and a new actually progressive Liberal party could sprout up.

This.  I missed the Whigs, and I'm not really happy about that.

Pere Ubu

Deal has passed the Senate and House, and is on the way to Obama.

http://news.msn.com/us/senate-approves-debt-deal-house-vote-can-end-shutdown

Meanwhile, our own Senator Graham weighs in:
Quote"We won't be the last political party to overplay our hand. It might happen one day on the Democratic side. And if it did, would Republicans, for the good of the country, kinda give a little? We really did go too far. We screwed up. But their response is making things worse, not better."

Yeah, well, "good of the country" my fucking ass, you tool. Your party catered to the Teabaggers to the point where they shut down the fucking government, cost us billions of dollars, and embarrassed us in front of the world. And the great solution to this is another fucking last-minute deal to kick the can down the road another couple months so you assholes can pull this shit all over again.

You want to make me feel better about this? Give me Cruz's head on a pike. Make an example of the little fucker so Rubio or Paul or one of the other fruitloops maybe has second thoughts on playing this idiot game again.

No, on second thought, yes, I still want Cruz's empty skull on a pike, but fuck the GOP. Nothing they can do will make me feel better about this.
If you meet Eris on the road, YOU WERE PROBABLY HOLDING THE MAP UPSIDE DOWN, DUMBASS.

Grand Episkopos and Lord High Executioner of The Temple Of The Screaming Finger

Salty

Quote from: Pere Ubu on October 17, 2013, 03:32:36 AM
Deal has passed the Senate and House, and is on the way to Obama.

http://news.msn.com/us/senate-approves-debt-deal-house-vote-can-end-shutdown

Meanwhile, our own Senator Graham weighs in:
Quote"We won't be the last political party to overplay our hand. It might happen one day on the Democratic side. And if it did, would Republicans, for the good of the country, kinda give a little? We really did go too far. We screwed up. But their response is making things worse, not better."

Yeah, well, "good of the country" my fucking ass, you tool. Your party catered to the Teabaggers to the point where they shut down the fucking government, cost us billions of dollars, and embarrassed us in front of the world. And the great solution to this is another fucking last-minute deal to kick the can down the road another couple months so you assholes an pull this shit all over again.

You want to make me feel better about this? Give me Cruz's head on a pike. Make an example of the little fucker so Rubio or Paul or one of the other fruitloops maybe has second thoughts on playing this idiot game again.

It's almost like these things are a feature, as opposed to a bug in the system.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on October 16, 2013, 09:47:37 PM

Well here's hoping.

THAT would be actual change.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

-

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:50:47 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:41:21 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 04:13:23 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 16, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
What I'm thinking is that this is just a practice run. No-ones got the crazy or the balls to burn it all down now.

It's probably too late for them to swerve, at this point.

I'll take that bet. Last minute swerves are part of chicken. Steering wheels still seem to be in the cars, there's just no incentive to use them for either side. Yet. When the polls are horrific enough, someone will cave.

Right, then...Agreement by midnight tomorrow night at midnight, passed and signed.

Loser has to write a 2 page indictment of the winner.

I can't take a bet that I know I'm going to lose. Give me Midnight Friday at least.

There's some deadline tomorrow at midnight that I'm not aware of isn't there?

Yes.  We go into outright default on the 17th.

I had completly lost track of the date, thought there was still more time to play with.

So, more fuckery further down the line then. That'll be productive.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

And now, for something completely different.

As the House finished their vote to reopen the federal government and raise the debt ceiling, a House stenographer decided it was a good time to let everyone know her feelings about God, Congress, and the Freemasons.

Quote"He [God] will not be mocked," the stenographer, apparently named Molly, yelled into the microphone as she was dragged off by security. "The greatest deception here is that this is not one nation under God. It never was. It would not have been. The Constitution would not have been written by Freemasons. They go against God. You cannot serve two masters. Praise be to God. Praise be to Jesus."

Junkenstein

Taking bets on her political affiliation being "Tea Party".

Really bad odds.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns