News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2013, 09:44:07 PM
Well given the historical links between right-libertarians and other extreme right movements, the chances of it going that way are almost a certainty.

I've been saying this for a while.  Basically, we're staring down the barrel of flat-out authoritarianism, possibly in the form of a military coup or at least an "interruption of normal service".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Oct 2013: US defaults, nobody notices for a while.
Dec 2013: Hey, why are all the Xmas presents I was going to buy my kid this year so ungodly expensive?
Jan 2014: Holy shit, we can't buy milk and bread! WTF Guise?
Mar 2014: Fuck this, I'mma go burn down some shit.
Apr 2014: Oh yeah, they have tanks. Shit.

And so it was that the Great Experiment dissolved into what proved, ultimately, to be another painfully predictable Human pattern of violence, horror, and suppression. Thankfully, a full-scale World War was avoided, on account of the entire rest of the planet being doubled over with fits of uncontrollable laughter.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Seems people are getting salmonella from uninspected food.

Only the beginning. Think I'll go outside and watch everything crumble.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

-

tyrannosaurus vex

So the present struggle isn't so much over whether we want a dictator, but rather what kind of dictator we want?

Jesus.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

-

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on October 10, 2013, 02:33:02 AM

Just a side note; food is almost never inspected. The USDA hasn't had adequate inspectors for decades, so what happens instead is that there are outbreaks which spread unchecked until the CDC tracks down the source and issues a recall. Food safety has been on the decline for years now, and it's only getting worse, with deadlier strains of both viruses and bacteria emerging from feedlot conditions and farming practices. :)

Addressing that, of course, is part of the whole "sustainable farming" movement that people so like to pooh-pooh.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 10, 2013, 05:21:29 PM

Just a side note; food is almost never inspected. The USDA hasn't had adequate inspectors for decades, so what happens instead is that there are outbreaks which spread unchecked until the CDC tracks down the source and issues a recall. Food safety has been on the decline for years now, and it's only getting worse, with deadlier strains of both viruses and bacteria emerging from feedlot conditions and farming practices. :)

Addressing that, of course, is part of the whole "sustainable farming" movement that people so like to pooh-pooh.

In this case, the number of inspectors was reduced from 80 to 1.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 10, 2013, 05:25:26 PM

And that guy is basically the state-appointed scapegoat. Salmonella outbreak? INSPECTOR'S NOT DOING HIS JOB!  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 10, 2013, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 10, 2013, 05:25:26 PM

And that guy is basically the state-appointed scapegoat. Salmonella outbreak? INSPECTOR'S NOT DOING HIS JOB!  :horrormirth:

According to the radio this morning, the other 79 inspectors assigned to Foster Farms were quietly returned to work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Note that there was no mention of inspectors being returned to other corporate farms.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 10, 2013, 05:40:52 PM
Note that there was no mention of inspectors being returned to other corporate farms.

I'm sure they weren't.

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

The funny bit about this is that Obama has no say in anything yet, until a bill passes the house and the senate.  So if they were serious, they'd be talking to Reid.

Cain

-