News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2013, 08:41:08 PM
Yeah, but Republicans apparently skipped the civics class where it is explained the President is not a magickal Emperor who communes with the Sky God in order to rule with an iron fist.

I mean, going by their statements from the past decade, at the very least.

More like the past 148 years.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

-

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2013, 05:55:10 AM
BBC:

QuoteEarlier on Thursday, Democratic Senate leader Harry Reid said the Senate would "look at anything" the House sent to them, but they would not engage in negotiations with Republicans prior to reopening the government.

Reid hath spoken.

Quote from: Telarus on October 11, 2013, 12:56:43 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/10/10/2762451/boehner-adopts-heritage-koch-plan/

Partisan, yes, but some interesting links are included.

Interesting.  So the idea is simply to extend the amount of time the shutdown can continue on for.  I suppose that allows for the painful consequences of government shutdown to continue, while avoiding a debt default which would entirely screw US industry and financial interests.

Reid's response suggests he is aware of this plan of action, incidentally.

Dammit, I wasn't looking at it that way.  Makes a lot of sense, though.

Bastards.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The project the husband has been working on got a huge offer for funding. Negotiations can't happen until certain paperwork is dealt with, for international sales. The people who determine what classification the device gets are all furloughed, so everything is on hold.

I know it's a tiny stupid thing, but the effects of this thing are a mountain of tiny bullshit things that we are all gonna drown under.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2013, 08:34:05 PM
Republicans have postponed Judgement Day, again:

QuoteUS Republicans have offered President Barack Obama a short-term debt limit increase to stave off default.

House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said they would do so in exchange for negotiations with the White House to end a government shutdown that took effect on 1 October.

Republicans will meet Mr Obama, who is a Democrat, later on Thursday.

Officials have warned the US risks default on 17 October if the nation's borrowing limit is not increased.

Mr Boehner told reporters on Thursday: "What we want to do is to offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling in agreement to go to conference on the budget for his willingness to sit down and discuss with us a way forward to reopen the government."

"It's time for leadership," the Ohio Republican said. "It's time for these negotiations and this conversation to begin."

Worker layoffs

A spokesman for Mr Boehner told media that the deal on the table ahead of Thursday afternoon's meeting was a "clean" increase of the debt limit, with no additional policies attached.

It would only last six weeks - until 22 November.

So, they want to destroy the economy just in time for Thanksgiving.
Can someone translate that underlined quote for me? Preferably to English, Dutch, or German.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on October 11, 2013, 05:23:09 PM

QuoteUS Republicans have offered President Barack Obama a short-term debt limit increase to stave off default.

House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said they would do so in exchange for negotiations with the White House to end a government shutdown that took effect on 1 October.

Officials have warned the US risks default on 17 October if the nation's borrowing limit is not increased.

Mr Boehner told reporters on Thursday: "What we want to do is to offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling in agreement to go to conference on the budget for his willingness to sit down and discuss with us a way forward to reopen the government."

"It's time for leadership," the Ohio Republican said. "It's time for these negotiations and this conversation to begin."

Worker layoffs

A spokesman for Mr Boehner told media that the deal on the table ahead of Thursday afternoon's meeting was a "clean" increase of the debt limit, with no additional policies attached.

Can someone translate that underlined quote for me? Preferably to English, Dutch, or German.

"Do exactly as you're told and nobody will get hurt."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: :regret: on October 11, 2013, 05:23:09 PM

Worker layoffs

"We will stop crying and kicking the floor for a minute and talk, but we're not getting up and we're certainly not making any promises about not getting right back to pitching this fit if we hear one thing we don't like."

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 05:24:00 PM
"Do exactly as you're told and nobody will get hurt."
Heh, thanks. Yeah, I thought that was the underlying message.(because a politician was talking)

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 11, 2013, 05:26:12 PM
"We will stop crying and kicking the floor for a minute and talk, but we're not getting up and we're certainly not making any promises about not getting right back to pitching this fit if we hear one thing we don't like."
Thanks.

I can understand parts of it so let me try again.
Quote"What we want to do is to offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling
This is understandable, allow president to increase debt ceiling. gotcha.

Quotein agreement to
pointless interlude?

Quotego to conference on the budget for his willingness
Meet to talk about willingness budget, this implies that the president's willingness can be bought. but alright, understood.

Quoteto sit down and discuss with us a way forward to reopen the government."
Meet to make goverment open.

So. They will allow the president to increase the debt ceiling so they can borrow more money with which to bribe the president (during the first meeting) to allow the second meeting.
Politics is weird.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 11, 2013, 05:33:38 PM
All the same, they blinked.

All I can picture is Boehner, snotty nosed and disheveled on the floor in the rotunda.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger