News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

the blue eyes experiment

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 02, 2013, 08:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Blocked. I'll check it out at home tonight.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Kai

Had a lot of trouble watching that. Makes me feel like I'm back in grade school being bullied.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Kai on October 02, 2013, 09:36:51 PM
Had a lot of trouble watching that. Makes me feel like I'm back in grade school being bullied.

Yea, it's not the easiest thing to watch, but that's a small taste of racism.

Suu

She does a really good job presenting the argument. It IS difficult to watch, and that's the whole point. It's amazing to watch how the students went from being totally nonchalant to feeling belittled and berated. It's sad, yes, but it's true.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

This reminds me of an exercise that we did in CCD (for non-Catholics, "Confraternity of Christian Doctrine" or basically, religious education for those who do not, or no longer, go to parochial school), though it was less intense by far, and the subject wasn't racism, it was poverty. I think that it was poorly set up, because I imagine that it only instructed those who fell into the 3rd world part of the experiment. We had a social gathering where we all ate and were divided into groups. One group was sat at a table and had rich, flavorful food and soda and, well, typical American fare. Another group got rice, beans and vegetables. My group got rice. (I had latched somewhat onto Communism by that point, so I already had snarky jokes at the ready).

Now, the reason that this was poorly set up is that middle class, largely Irish or otherwise North-West European, American kids still got the good stuff and were chided for not giving away any of their food to us rice and beans folk at the end of the experiment.

A better experiment would have involved everyone getting rice, and adult parishioners getting the good stuff. Perhaps also coming up to us with a mouth full of chicken, watching us like we were an informercial on TV and saying, "that's quite the shame, that people have to live like that."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 02, 2013, 09:36:51 PM

That's basically what the entire culture of the US is to people of color. It's constant, unceasing bullying. Even coming from people who don't know they're doing it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

I've always fucking LOVED that lady. And I didn't know she was still doing that. Very cool.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Don Coyote

"I refuse to apologize for my actions so I will instead attempt to apologize for something else"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I watched the links here and then the compilation 4 parter thing "How Racist Are You?" Very interesting watching US vs UK respond. It's interesting watching the participants getting caught up in their Freudian slips and idiocy when flustered. And then watching them deny it even happened a second later.

I love. Love how people do this whole "Well it doesn't affect me so it doesn't exist" bullshit. And don't realize that's what they are fucking doing. Or the "Well everyone stubs their toe, stop whining about having your legs ripped off by monsters already."
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I only got a chance to watch the UK one. The reaction the white folks have is really, really disturbing. I think it might be a case of "why don't they just?" syndrome. Also, I want to be that lady when I'm old.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I want to be that lady NOW.

I especially liked the bit on "I don't see color". I'm STEALING that.