News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Should kids have smartphones?

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 02, 2013, 09:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Here's Louis CK with a very funny and at least halfway cogent argument saying they shouldn't.

http://teamcoco.com/video/louis-ck-springsteen-cell-phone

That puts me in a difficult position: as the most important principle of parenting in my life is that people should never coerce others, not even kids, just because they feel they know what's best for them better than they themselves do (they may or may not be right, but it's still not justified grounds for coercion), the (many) kids around this household quite freely help themselves to computing equipment. The 10, the 11, the 13, the 16 and of course the 18-year-old all have their own (shoddy but workable) computers (though the 11-year-old girl's one has been broken for a while and she doesn't seem fussed) - and yet they make eye-contact and are interested in a number of things other than computers (admittedly, at times the number is somewhat smaller thant I'd be really happy with).

I am also failing to find a piece by Charlie Stross about a new kind of person: one who never has to be lost or alone against their will. But he did make that point: what happens when most people are like that? Charlie thinks, and I think I'm with him, that it's not the end of the world, may even be the beginning of tomorrow. What do you think?

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

I think kids having smartphones is a damn good idea.  In my observation of my kids, they are more socialized with their peers, and they never get lost.  More communication is better.

The only counter-arguments I have seen are mostly crusty fuckers about my age that are convinced that everything new is bad, and that kids are all going to the dogs, and they should be playing with broken glass and chunks of concrete like we did.

Fuck that noise.  There is no reason kids should have to live in the Goddamn dark ages just because a previous generation has

1.  Some Luddite-esque fear of anything new, and

2.  Some weird nostalgia for what was, comparitively speaking, a really miserable time in history.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 02, 2013, 09:53:42 PM
I think kids having smartphones is a damn good idea.  In my observation of my kids, they are more socialized with their peers, and they never get lost.  More communication is better.

The only counter-arguments I have seen are mostly crusty fuckers about my age that are convinced that everything new is bad, and that kids are all going to the dogs, and they should be playing with broken glass and chunks of concrete like we did.

Fuck that noise.  There is no reason kids should have to live in the Goddamn dark ages just because a previous generation has

2.  Some weird nostalgia for what was, comparitively speaking, a really miserable time in history.

Bolded for troof.

They do, however, need to be taught proper manners and actual social skills as some point though. They are a valuable tool, but also a bad distraction. I see nothing wrong with teachers making the kids lock them up during class time, OR, finding a way to integrate it to better modern learning needs.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on October 02, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 02, 2013, 09:53:42 PM

Bolded for troof.

They do, however, need to be taught proper manners and actual social skills as some point though. They are a valuable tool, but also a bad distraction. I see nothing wrong with teachers making the kids lock them up during class time, OR, finding a way to integrate it to better modern learning needs.

I fail to see how one precludes the other.

Also, by the same token, older people should be learning the manners that apply to new technology (for example, NOT POSTING IN ALL CAPS WHEN THEY TEXT OR POST ON FACEBOOK).

Times change, and manners change (slightly) with those times.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

I suppose you're right, you can harp and howl all you want about students not touching technology during class time, chances are they're going to do it anyway. So either you lock it up, or, you find a way to integrate it, which could really not work in either case. I mean, if you force a student to not carry a phone to school, or lock it up in a desk during class time, are you really doing them a favor? Or are you doing them, and yourself a disservice for being what could be perceived as a bullying teacher? Sounds very paradox-y.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Bad idea.  It is another avenue for unsupervised and unmonitored access to the internet.  Especially given all of the Agrippa's that use the internet.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 02, 2013, 10:42:13 PM
Bad idea.  It is another avenue for unsupervised and unmonitored access to the internet.  Especially given all of the Agrippa's that use the internet.
Agreed. We can't have the youth getting A grippa.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

ROCKS AND BROKEN GLASS.  THAT'S ALL THEY NEED.

Dildo Argentino

Okay, I take your point, and generally agree. But did you actually watch the video? Louis is no old crusty. The most cogent bit of his argument starts at 1:25, and firstly, he is claiming that if you communicate a great deal in text, you don't get the sort of emotional feedback to your experiments of meanness (and, I should add, any other kind of emotionally loaded communication) that you, as monkey, need, to calibrate your actions. I do believe this may have something to do with the somehow utterly mindless and absurd instances of cyber-bullying we get to hear about. The availability of online bullying makes it easier to become a bully. Secondly, and I think this is even more thought-worthy, starting at 1:52: "you need to develop the ability to just be yourself and not be doing something - this is what the phones are taking away - that's being a person". And I do think the phones take that away. I think that may be a good thing. But there is a listlessness, I am tempted to say shallowness (though I may well be unfair) in the young kids I meet who have gotten completely habituated to the constant availability of unlimited quality stimulation. I was not raised in that way. After desiring a book, I frequently had to wait days, nay, weeks, before I could get it. Same with music, with films. There is clearly an element of deprivation there, and if that goes away, hurray. But is there something else there, too, perhaps?

Something that was built into our generation and is not built into this new one? And exactly how does that make them different? It's as if the age of scarcity has already ended in some domains: in countries where reasonably high bandwidth internet has become a utility available in most homes, you can be quite poor in many respects (food, travel, equipment) - but have a 100-dollar computer and have the worlds intellectual riches at your feet. When do you give kids smartphones? My three-year-old is already demanding one.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

Can't watch the video til I get home (it's blocked).

Pæs

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 23, 2013, 05:03:03 AM
Quote from: Alty on September 23, 2013, 03:50:37 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 21, 2013, 07:16:20 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 21, 2013, 06:24:20 PM
Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones

Hahaha I love how old people project themselves into kids. That cell phone obsession thing is totally a technology immigrant thing, kids who are raised with cell phones aren't obsessed like that.

This thing keeps making the rounds. It got a whole isolated post on Naked Capitalism, FFS. I'm pretty sure I don't give a fuck about what that guy thinks about anything.

Plus, I refuse to see those things as anything less than, as Warren Ellis put it, god damned wizardry at our fingertips.

It's basically exactly the same as all old people projecting on and railing against young people ever through all time.

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 23, 2013, 05:05:46 AM
If old people would just embrace that they are getting old and falling apart and decaying and their mental acuity and physical senses are starting to go, making the world seem confusing and hostile, instead of trying to insist that it's really that young people suck, everybody would get along much better.

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 23, 2013, 02:56:49 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 23, 2013, 02:28:23 PM
I liked that bit -- I don't think that Louis is really talking about kids. But he makes a good point about how distracting these pervasive technologies are. They have a way of hijacking our internal monologues. We use them to fill in the in-between moments moments, but sometimes it's worth spending some time there.

Right after Obama was inaugurated, I remember some reporter asking him if he had any advice for people. He said he recommended taking a little time each day to just sit and be by yourself and not be distracted by anything. Let your phone sit, don't work on anything, just take a few minutes every day to think about things. Louis gets a bit dramatic about it, but I think that's the guts of what he's saying.

I also agree with his rant about how kids should learn to be social animals through face to face interactions. It's so much easier to be irresponsible when you don't have to look somebody in the face.

If he's talking about adults, then he's right. Adults, especially older adults but really anyone who didn't grow up with these technologies, are so hopelessly enthralled by them and by their ability to check for IMPORTANT INCOMING MESSAGES that they do it constantly.

Kids, on the other hand, are as likely as not to leave their phone at home or let the batteries go dead, a scenario that would send adults into a frenzy of panic. Kids also don't have this thing where they HAVE TO CHECK THEIR EMAIL seventeen times a day. They treat it like we treat mail... they check once a day, call it good. Whatever's in there will wait, no need to be INSTANTLY AVAILABLE for everyone's whims.

As for being mean electronically... yes, kids do that. So do adults. Kids also have no problem doing it face to face. What I have seen with kids is that if they are going to develop empathy for others, they do so regardless of whether they are interacting electronically, and are LESS likely than adults to pull that "just pixels on a screen" bullshit, because they grew up using these media to communicate.

XPOST: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32818.300.html

Trivial

My kids won't have smartphones until I have one.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks Paes! That was pretty much all I have to say about it.

Although I will add that if you're an involved parent you don't HAVE to constantly monitor your childrens' internet use. The goal is to  teach them how to function independently; you are trying to raise adults. The age at which any given child is mature enough to manage that varies; with my oldest, she really wasn't responsible enough to have any phone at all until she was 13. My youngest was ready at 9, Smartphone and everything.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Depending on the kind you get it's also fairly easy to check. Iphones are built with very effective parental controls. If they can get passed them you should probably take your kid out to celebrate their mental prowess.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Nephew Twiddleton

Our responsibility as the older generation to teach them to be able to use this technology unsupervised. If they don't it's our failure, as parents. It's basically the same as the time I got a bus pass from school and was given free rein, and didn't get into any trouble. My parents may have screwed up in some areas (whose doesn't?), but they at least taught me to not get myself in a bad spot if they weren't looking.

Holist, kudos. I understand your ambivalence, but this is a good thread.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS