News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Thread is now about Holist.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 08, 2013, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Original OP moved to a better neighborhood.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

:eek:

Nicely done, Roger. I think you're on the money with the horrible noise at the end.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Great rant!  LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

I also have a prediction, but I'm going to hold off for a bit.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cainad (dec.)

Badass rant!

I'll admit that I have the musical awareness of a turnip, and I choose what I listen to based purely on what I like filling my sound-holes. The cultural context of music isn't really something I'm usually cognizant of. It's pretty interesting to see it summarized like this.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: stelz on October 08, 2013, 11:35:47 PM
This is FUCKIN A RIGHT - permission to share with attribution?

Go ahead, but there's a lot more coming.  That was just the intro.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Don Coyote

I have the feeling as soon as I take a class on music history I am going to end up citing this rant.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I love this. One of the things I love about hip-hop is that anybody with a laptop can make music and spread it around as much as they want. It's truly more punk than punk ever was, in spite of the highly visible completely co-opted mainstream element of the culture.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cuddlefish

Yep, yep. Good shit.

Though, I disagree with one bit (though, it may be just me) but the function of music (at least some music. The good stuff, anyway) is not to distract us from the thunk at the end of the conveyor, rather it is an act of defiance. It's not ignoring the thunk, it's looking it straight in its stupid fucking ass-face and saying "Oh yeah, motherfucker? Well Come get me, you stinking piece of shit-puke."

You may get me, you stupid thunk, but I'll see to it that it's worse off for you than it was for me.

But, yeah. Thinking about it, I see how some people would be inclined to see it the way you described, as well as the possibility that blatantly ignoring the thunk is an act of defiance in itself...

Either way, cheers, man.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cuddlefish on October 09, 2013, 03:02:59 AM
Yep, yep. Good shit.

Though, I disagree with one bit (though, it may be just me) but the function of music (at least some music. The good stuff, anyway) is not to distract us from the thunk at the end of the conveyor, rather it is an act of defiance. It's not ignoring the thunk, it's looking it straight in its stupid fucking ass-face and saying "Oh yeah, motherfucker? Well Come get me, you stinking piece of shit-puke."

You may get me, you stupid thunk, but I'll see to it that it's worse off for you than it was for me.

But, yeah. Thinking about it, I see how some people would be inclined to see it the way you described, as well as the possibility that blatantly ignoring the thunk is an act of defiance in itself...

Either way, cheers, man.

The best music does that, yeah.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cuddlefish on October 09, 2013, 03:02:59 AM
Yep, yep. Good shit.

Either way, cheers, man.

I agree with that message... and the OP is great. I would also like to add a respectful minor niggle: isn't the relationship between jazz and blues more like sister to sister than mother to daughter? Emergence at roughly the same time and continuous cross-fertilization...
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

The Good Reverend Roger

Redacted.