News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

MOTHERFUCKING CHEESE

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 09, 2013, 10:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 09, 2013, 10:30:59 PM
I checked, though, and Kraft singles are in fact marketed as cheese.

Sort of.

Kraft Singles are marketed under "pasteurized prepared cheese product".

Ingredients: Cheddar cheese, milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, apocarotenal (color),annatto (color), enzymes, vitamin D3, cheese culture, yellow dye.

Also, I have a question:  How does the slicing process at a factory invalidate the cheese aspect, whereas doing it at home doesn't?

If you have the time, the wikipedia page on processed cheese is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese

Basically, singles are made with cheese as an ingredient, then extra milk and other ingredients are added before it's sliced and packaged. You can get pre-sliced cheddar, provolone, swiss and other cheeses at the store, they're still very much cheese. The product being sold as "singles" is wildly different in composition and flavor. There are specific guidelines for marketing food as "cheese" "Pasteurized process cheese" "Pasteurized process cheese food" and "Pasteurized process cheese spread," while there are no guidelines whatsoever for "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

Sort of.

Ingredients: Cheddar cheese, milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, apocarotenal (color),annatto (color), enzymes, vitamin D3, cheese culture, yellow dye.

Also, I have a question:  How does the slicing process at a factory invalidate the cheese aspect, whereas doing it at home doesn't?

If you have the time, the wikipedia page on processed cheese is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese

Basically, singles are made with cheese as an ingredient, then extra milk and other ingredients are added before it's sliced and packaged. You can get pre-sliced cheddar, provolone, swiss and other cheeses at the store, they're still very much cheese. The product being sold as "singles" is wildly different in composition and flavor. There are specific guidelines for marketing food as "cheese" "Pasteurized process cheese" "Pasteurized process cheese food" and "Pasteurized process cheese spread," while there are no guidelines whatsoever for "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product."

Ingredient one (largest quantity) is "cheddar cheese".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 09, 2013, 10:44:19 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

Sort of.

Ingredient one (largest quantity) is "cheddar cheese".

Flour is ingredient one in cake.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2013, 10:47:15 PM

No, ingredient number one in cake is GO AHEAD AND BE A FATASS, ROGER.  EAT SOME FUCKING CAKE.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 09, 2013, 10:54:58 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2013, 10:47:15 PM

No, ingredient number one in cake is GO AHEAD AND BE A FATASS, ROGER.  EAT SOME FUCKING CAKE.

:spit:

Eater of Clowns

Man I could go for a slice of cheese with some whipped cheese on top right now.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 09, 2013, 10:58:58 PM
Man I could go for a slice of cheese with some whipped cheese on top right now.

You're sick, mister.

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 09, 2013, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: Alty on October 09, 2013, 10:38:34 PM

Proof is in the cheese flavoured prepackaged pudding.

I want to see that plastic wrapped corporate cheese get dangerous.

2 kitchen fires so far.

This sounds suspiciously like "Challenge Accepted".

Pæs

Fuck your fake cake, give me a big ol' bag of flour any day.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Pæs on October 09, 2013, 11:21:07 PM

Fuck flour, I'll just make this bread from cake. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Pæs on October 09, 2013, 11:21:07 PM

You have to grind it yourself. With your own body as grindstone. It's not TRUE if it doesn't hurt.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

QuoteLove is not all wine and roses; sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese.
/
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

any thoughts on cream cheese?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 10, 2013, 01:33:48 AM
any thoughts on cream cheese?

Cream cheese is cheese, as is American Neufchatel. Really my hate's saved up for cheese curds and singles.

Nephew Twiddleton

If you take a block of cheese and slice it, it has a different consistency than singles. The singles contain cheese, much in the same way that cheese and broccoli contains cheese. There may be a lot of cheese, but there's also not-cheese in there.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS