News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

On Jazz.

Started by Kai, October 12, 2013, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I'd like to revoke what I said about Jazz in the past.

I can't find the exact quote, but it was something to the effect of "Jazz is noise". This was revised from my previous, rather naive statement about Jazz from a dilletantte's perspective (and given that I don't play the genre, that's likely all I'll ever be).

Perhaps not revoke, but a further revision. Like taxonomy, sometimes new information comes to light and the evolutionary relationships that seemed so clear yesterday are suddenly a polyphyly or polytomy, or worse, a premise based on some study in Science proclaiming arsenic-eating bacteria. The model needs updating.

And it stems from something that I think many people here agree with, in at least the basic premise, and that is that music worth listening to doesn't have to be easy listening. And I don't mean in the sense of LOUD or having controversial lyrics, though these are also acceptable. I'm talking about difficult listening in the form of sounds and rhythms that are outside my comfort zone. Because, like the definition of "weed", noise is sound where it's not wanted.

If I had to pick any genre that tends to go outside that comfortable range, it's Jazz. Complicated, dissonant, often including nothing resembling a melody, definitely not easy listening. Even if your preffered music is death metal at ear drum bursting levels, Jazz is still difficult. Why should being uncomfortable mean it's not worth anything? Once again, uncomfortable being "that which is incongruent to my MO".

The obvious answer is that many people find Jazz worth quite a lot, and not just dilettante hipsters either. I know I'm really going against the grain here (some might even call it groupthink) to say that I'm willing to give more Jazz some listening. Hell, I'm listening to Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage right now, and you know what? It hurts. It /feels/ in great part like noise but for goddsake I'm never going to grow musically if I don't get over some shallow notion of what constitutes music. There's plenty of discussion in the Apple Zone thread right now on musical stagnation, and I think it applies equally to this.

In closing: fuck what you think you know about noise. It's worth listening to at least once, if my ears aren't destroyed in the process. This isn't about taste, this about a willingness to explore, lest I become some sort of horrible narrow-minded critic that listens to the same 5 tracks over, and over, and over...

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't think any genre of music is worthless. There is also no genre of music whose offerings I wholly dislike. I like some more than others, and some I like very little. The only music that I really genuinely prefer not to listen to if I can avoid it is music that is specifically designed to soothe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 12:04:38 AM
I don't think any genre of music is worthless. There is also no genre of music whose offerings I wholly dislike. I like some more than others, and some I like very little. The only music that I really genuinely prefer not to listen to if I can avoid it is music that is specifically designed to soothe.

Any particular reason?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 13, 2013, 12:18:48 AM

Any particular reason?

I feel like it's trying to shut me down, or to generate white noise in my brain.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 01:59:06 AM

Any particular reason?

I feel like it's trying to shut me down, or to generate white noise in my brain.

I can see that.

The Good Reverend Roger

I have two problems with Jazz.

1.  It hasn't had much to say in years, and
2.  What it's repeating makes me go berserk.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I'm a fan of jazz. Hell, I studied at a jazz school.

And much like any kind of music, Sturgeon's Law applies.

Jazz can be incredibly melodic, it can have an easily understood structure, and it can be fucking catchy.

It can also be insanely complicated, and use concepts that surpass the majority of 20th century composers, with the exception of Ives or Cage.

Which makes "Jazz" hard to talk about, in the same way "rock" is hard to talk about, when you include Buddy Holly and Cannibal Corpse in the same grouping.

I may start a thread that takes jazz from understood through WTF, if people are interested. I may not. But I am encouraged to hear that some may give it a second listen.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 13, 2013, 02:05:09 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 01:59:06 AM

Any particular reason?

I can see that.

I am pretty sure that it is designed to do exactly that, which is why it's soothing, but I definitely have a control freak aspect that can't deal with that.

I'm not fond of jazz, probably for a similar reason. Jazz engages analytical processing, and I want my analytical processing available to process the shit out of my environment so I can OCD it.

I do like some jazz, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also I can't stand the word "jazz", it occupies the same position of linguistic aesthetics as "slacks", "frappuccino", and "mucous".

minuspace

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 05:53:41 AM
Also I can't stand the word "jazz", it occupies the same position of linguistic aesthetics as "slacks", "frappuccino", and "mucous".
All that jazz is just a political economy of noise

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 13, 2013, 05:17:48 AM

Jazz can be incredibly melodic, it can have an easily understood structure, and it can be fucking catchy.

It can also be insanely complicated, and use concepts that surpass the majority of 20th century composers, with the exception of Ives or Cage.

Which makes "Jazz" hard to talk about, in the same way "rock" is hard to talk about, when you include Buddy Holly and Cannibal Corpse in the same grouping.

I may start a thread that takes jazz from understood through WTF, if people are interested. I may not. But I am encouraged to hear that some may give it a second listen.

I'm interested.

Kai

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 13, 2013, 04:20:19 AM
I have two problems with Jazz.

1.  It hasn't had much to say in years, and
2.  What it's repeating makes me go berserk.

Quote from: LMNOAnd much like any kind of music, Sturgeon's Law applies.

AFK

I love jazz, as a performer and listener.  I was in a jazz band for awhile as a trumpet player.  There is a certain power and energy that a good jazz tune and groove taps into.  Especially when you're sort of "in the pocket". 

Improvisational jazz especially.  You have a basic rhythmic background, sometimes, and everyone else joins in on a joytastic, no-holds-barred freak out.  Kind of like Sonic Youth except with swirling brass as opposed to swirling feedback.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 13, 2013, 05:17:48 AM

It IS an umbrella term.

I like some New Orleans jazz, and some of the stuff you hear in very old movies. These, as Roger noted, are OLD.

I hate that soft shit. It makes me want to TAKE THEIR FUCKING DRUMS AND SHIT AWAY, BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT HITTING THEM anyway, they're just making annoying little noises. THIS IS THE SOUNDTRACK OF HELL.

Some jazz is genius, and I admit that a lot of that goes over my head. You have to be a musician to catch it all. Miles Davis comes to mind. I don't listen to Miles, but I respect him.
Oh, yeah, that's old, too.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Jazz should fuck itself in the earhole with itself.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"