News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

On Jazz.

Started by Kai, October 12, 2013, 10:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 13, 2013, 07:35:49 PM
Jazz should fuck itself in the earhole with itself.

So should hip-hop.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

Actually, I was kind of hoping you'd say exactly that. It turns out, the two are intertwined more frequently than you might think. See, I think if Jazz as being sort of like pop's think-tank (pop includes the vast majority of rock and hip-hop). On its own in its purest form, it's barely distinguishable from meaningless noise. But the ideas and innovations that have been birthed there have made all of music richer. There's a whole lot of musically great hip-hop out there (just like any other genre). Much of it is full of jazz-ish live instrumentation. Interestingly, in spite of how much I generally dislike jazz itself, this tends to be some of my favorite hip-hop to listen to. The melody and the warmth of the actual instruments provides something that much hip-hop lacks, and the jazz finally finds what it needed all along to turn it from a puppet into a real boy - a simple and catchy beat.

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65x_cSHSHE
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 13, 2013, 08:53:44 PM
:lulz:

Actually, I was kind of hoping you'd say exactly that. It turns out, the two are intertwined more frequently than you might think. See, I think if Jazz as being sort of like pop's think-tank (pop includes the vast majority of rock and hip-hop). On its own in its purest form, it's barely distinguishable from meaningless noise. But the ideas and innovations that have been birthed there have made all of music richer. There's a whole lot of musically great hip-hop out there (just like any other genre). Much of it is full of jazz-ish live instrumentation. Interestingly, in spite of how much I generally dislike jazz itself, this tends to be some of my favorite hip-hop to listen to. The melody and the warmth of the actual instruments provides something that much hip-hop lacks, and the jazz finally finds what it needed all along to turn it from a puppet into a real boy - a simple and catchy beat.

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65x_cSHSHE

While I agree that's catchy, sounds more like ska than jazz to me.

And once again, I say: fuck what you think you know about noise.

On the other hand, I'm glad you weren't JUST taking the piss.  :lol:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on October 13, 2013, 12:09:29 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 13, 2013, 04:20:19 AM
I have two problems with Jazz.

1.  It hasn't had much to say in years, and
2.  What it's repeating makes me go berserk.

Quote from: LMNOAnd much like any kind of music, Sturgeon's Law applies.

It's not the performers.  It's the genre itself.  It's like Muzak, and it just plain drives me nuts.

There were some exceptions, back in the day (and by that I mean "before my father was born").  But that's not how I bet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

I was so excited that Sun-Ra was going to do a jam session in the studio...  Well, let's just say it put Coltrain's Sun Ship to shame...

Jazz != an excuse to play pentatonic scales at random.

rong

Some jazz really knocks my socks off and some of it I don't care for at all.  The jazz I don't like has a certain quality that I can only describe as "sterile"

Ironic, considering the origins of the word itself.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Pope Pixie Pickle

When I watched Treme, the series on New Orleans post Katrina, I really enjoyed the new orleans tradition stuff on the soundtrack.

and the track ECH linked doesn't feel ska-like at all, the vocals feel more Jazz/ old school R&B than ska.

LMNO

I started a Jazz history thread in Apple Talk, if anyone cares to listen to some music on YouTube.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2013, 05:09:38 PM
I started a Jazz history thread in Apple Talk, if anyone cares to listen to some music on YouTube.

I'm there. And I actually like the 20's stuff, a lot 30's jazz isn't too bad either.

After that...well, I'll see if you can change my mind.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

minuspace

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on October 15, 2013, 12:49:50 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2013, 05:09:38 PM

I'm there. And I actually like the 20's stuff, a lot 30's jazz isn't too bad either.

After that...well, I'll see if you can change my mind.  :lol:
For Miles, then, it was like you "have to play a long time to sound like yourself": that sounds like a reason to peruse post 30's jazz.  Really can't go wrong with Bitche's Brew :lulz:

A-guest1

30 years later       03/09/2022

Am11 Jazz P p

A-guest1

NOT WORKING good

05 14. 

04 18 08 38  24.   

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium