News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Fun thing about privilege...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 16, 2013, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

Privileges for "privileged patients" are also in germany the norm. If you have private (expensive) health insurance then you go in first. Even if you just arrived and there's 20 people in front of you. Ok, not all doctors are like that but most doctors are like that. I keep changing my doctors until i find the ones who don't discriminate based on health insurance.

Dr. or Prof. for the flight - I'm trying that next time i fly!! :D I hope they don't ask for proof  :)
  X  

Reginald Ret

Quote from: stelz on October 12, 2013, 04:07:24 AM
Quote from: :regret: on October 11, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: stelz on October 11, 2013, 06:19:59 AM
Quote from: Faust on September 22, 2013, 12:46:32 AM
Quote from: stelz on September 21, 2013, 11:45:18 PM
Hmmm, I've got one of those Universal Life things. "Prof." might be more effective though. I probably wouldn't use "Dr." What if somebody on the flight or whatever started puking up blood or something, I wouldn't know WTF to do. :P

You will do exactly what most MD's will do when they call "Is there a doctor on the plane": Nothing. The insurance and legal risk make the majority of doctors who travel on planes keep mum about it.

:x :horrormirth: :x :horrormirth: :x
Everybody who loves lawsuits raise your hands and scream!

Uhhh...are you one of those "OMFG FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS!!!?! FUCK NO!!!!!" people?

Because it's really, REALLY fucking hard to sue these days. Even if THEY LEAVE FUCKING SPONGES AND HEMOSTATS IN YOUR ABDOMINAL CAVITY.

Stella
lives in Texas
knows people like that
Really? then why are doctors too scared to help on a plane? It makes no sense, then again, i shouldn't have expected anything else.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: GrannySmith on October 12, 2013, 07:33:59 AM
Privileges for "privileged patients" are also in germany the norm. If you have private (expensive) health insurance then you go in first. Even if you just arrived and there's 20 people in front of you. Ok, not all doctors are like that but most doctors are like that. I keep changing my doctors until i find the ones who don't discriminate based on health insurance.

Whaaaaa...?  Sorry for the possible threadjack, but do y'all have free public health in Germany? Because this seems bizarre to me.

Here in NZ we have a public health system. If I have to go to A&E it's free (although every town except Wellington will charge you for an ambulance). The Accident Compensation Corporation covers all treatment costs (doctors, physio, etc, even 80% of my salary if I'm off work) if I have an accident. Hospital treatment, operations etc are free through the public health system, but with waiting lists and delays. Prescriptions we pay a co-pay on (I think like $5). Doctor's visits we pay for, but certain groups (under 5, pensioners, people/families who earn under a certain amount per year) are subsidised partially or completely.

Or, we can choose to take out private health insurance. Depending on your level of cover, they'll reimburse you for a doctor's visit up to $x per visit and/or up to $x per year, they'll reimburse you for prescription medication up to $x per year, you can usually get some level of cover for things like physio, osteopath, chiropractor, etc etc). If I need an operation, my health insurance will pay for it -- but I'm sent to a private hospital to get it done straight away, I'm not being put above people waiting on the list at public hospitals. My doctor doesn't give a shit that I have health insurance -- I pay them, then I get my health insurance provider to reimburse me for it.

Private healthcare jumping the gun on public healthcare, rather than operating separately/alongside, seems like it would just place more strain on the system overall?
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 12, 2013, 04:15:34 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 12, 2013, 04:13:08 AM
Hmmm, I've got one of those Universal Life things. "Prof." might be more effective though. I probably wouldn't use "Dr." What if somebody on the flight or whatever started puking up blood or something, I wouldn't know WTF to do. :P

You will do exactly what most MD's will do when they call "Is there a doctor on the plane": Nothing. The insurance and legal risk make the majority of doctors who travel on planes keep mum about it.

Because it's really, REALLY fucking hard to sue these days. Even if THEY LEAVE FUCKING SPONGES AND HEMOSTATS IN YOUR ABDOMINAL CAVITY.

Stella
lives in Texas
knows people like that

I always got the sense that the lawyers who advertise during Jerry Springer and Price Is Right were the sort that were to shitty to become real lawyers but shrewd enough that they could prey on people dumber than them. Providing that they didn't come up against a quality lawyer. Which, you know, in that situation, it's probably two day time advert lawyers against each other. Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

And of course, there is a day time court TV show on local Fox affiliate more than willing to air it as a reality show for the same types that would hire James Sokolov (you lived in MA around the right time to know who I'm talking about), and his ilk.

Dear G-d.

delayed :horrormirth:

"I'M GONNA GET YOU WHAT'S RIGHTFULLY YOU-AHS, AND THAT'S THAT." Or was that one Feinstein and Forlizzi?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: :regret: on October 12, 2013, 11:42:12 AM

Stella
lives in Texas
knows people like that
Really? then why are doctors too scared to help on a plane? It makes no sense, then again, i shouldn't have expected anything else.

My understanding is that it's because their insurance companies more or less hold them hostage when it comes to practicing medicine anywhere outside of their clinics and hospitals where they have privileges. The insurance company can cancel on them for practicing anywhere they aren't technically covered, and most states have laws against uninsured doctors practicing medicine.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

GrannySmith

Quote from: Signora Pæsior on October 12, 2013, 12:23:04 PM
Quote from: GrannySmith on October 12, 2013, 07:33:59 AM

Whaaaaa...?  Sorry for the possible threadjack, but do y'all have free public health in Germany? Because this seems bizarre to me.

Here in NZ we have a public health system. If I have to go to A&E it's free (although every town except Wellington will charge you for an ambulance). The Accident Compensation Corporation covers all treatment costs (doctors, physio, etc, even 80% of my salary if I'm off work) if I have an accident. Hospital treatment, operations etc are free through the public health system, but with waiting lists and delays. Prescriptions we pay a co-pay on (I think like $5). Doctor's visits we pay for, but certain groups (under 5, pensioners, people/families who earn under a certain amount per year) are subsidised partially or completely.

Or, we can choose to take out private health insurance. Depending on your level of cover, they'll reimburse you for a doctor's visit up to $x per visit and/or up to $x per year, they'll reimburse you for prescription medication up to $x per year, you can usually get some level of cover for things like physio, osteopath, chiropractor, etc etc). If I need an operation, my health insurance will pay for it -- but I'm sent to a private hospital to get it done straight away, I'm not being put above people waiting on the list at public hospitals. My doctor doesn't give a shit that I have health insurance -- I pay them, then I get my health insurance provider to reimburse me for it.

Private healthcare jumping the gun on public healthcare, rather than operating separately/alongside, seems like it would just place more strain on the system overall?

In Germany everyone must have health insurance, according to law. If you have a job, they detract the public health insurance fee from your salary, unless you prove that you have a private health insurance provider, in which case they don't detract anything and you take care of the rest yourself. If you don't have a job then the state pays your public health insurance fees. I have public health insurance and I don't pay anything to the doctor, i just give them my insurance card and the doctor takes their fee from the insurance. If you have private health insurance then you pay and get reimbursed from the insurance company.

People with private health insurance get better treatment from the doctors because the private health insurance pays the doctors and hospitals more than the public health insurance does. I find the situation incredibly wrong and unfair, but I'm unsure about the regulations or the amount of strain this puts on the system...
  X  

minuspace

Is a German citizen living in the USA discriminated against w.r.t. obtaining public health insurance coverage, residency notwithstanding?

Q. G. Pennyworth

When my uncle had a fatal heart attack in the late 90s, he was at a stadium and the person two seats down from him was a medical professional who made the attempt to save him. I think that person may have been an EMT, and maybe their rules are less wacky than hospital doctors, but that's a little different from the "everyone shuts up" line.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 13, 2013, 12:18:37 PM
When my uncle had a fatal heart attack in the late 90s, he was at a stadium and the person two seats down from him was a medical professional who made the attempt to save him. I think that person may have been an EMT, and maybe their rules are less wacky than hospital doctors, but that's a little different from the "everyone shuts up" line.

I think EMTs have totally different rules, because they are specifically enabled (and possibly required) to take lifesaving measures anywhere.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 05:12:27 PM

I think EMTs have totally different rules, because they are specifically enabled (and possibly required) to take lifesaving measures anywhere.

I recall my friends who are EMTs shading words to that effect, but it might be state specific too.

The Good Reverend Roger

Depends on the state.

Arizona has a "good samaritan" law that says that if you have been properly trained, you cannot be sued for attempting to render aid.

Not that you WIN the suit, but that the suit is rejected prior to trial.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 13, 2013, 05:12:27 PM

And now that "possibly required" clause is something I find morally objectionable  :?

Cain

-

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2013, 06:36:14 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 02:54:44 AM
Depends on the state.

Arizona has a "good samaritan" law that says that if you have been properly trained, you cannot be sued for attempting to render aid.

Not that you WIN the suit, but that the suit is rejected prior to trial.

Switzerland has the same sort of law, only it applies to everyone.  So long as you're not putting yourself at undue risk, you're expected to help a bystander in distress.  You won't get done in court for trying to help, but you can be prosecuted for not helping at all.
Thank you, given the kind of coverage Swiss residents demand at home, and how they are morally obliged to help, would that not imply that they should be provided coverage from their government even when not on Swiss soil?  (sentence construction deteriorating due to lack of sleep)