News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

An old classic

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 14, 2013, 03:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

Jesus fuck, that website still exists?!  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Q. G. Pennyworth

THE INTERNET NEVER FORGETS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on October 14, 2013, 03:15:47 AM
Jesus fuck, that website still exists?!  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

It's better than it was, interface-wise, but there isn't too much new stuff.

The Good Reverend Roger

They captured the inside of my head, so what else is there to do?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/hampster

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder what the oldest internet meme is? The oldest one I know of is "lemon chicken", but I think that possibly "kites" is older.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 14, 2013, 07:27:33 AM
I wonder what the oldest internet meme is? The oldest one I know of is "lemon chicken", but I think that possibly "kites" is older.

What about that weird dancing baby?

ETA: So I was thinking about my old Geek Code and realized that Kibo predates the dancing baby. If we go way back into Usenet, there are a lot of dead tree memes that became popular internet memes, Hitchhiker's Guide memes, Discordian memes, Python memes etc. There are some memes that were popular among the tech crowd, like the use of "Magic" from the "Magic/More Magic" switch story at MIT. Even old memes in coding like variables named foo, bar and baz... I guess it really depends on where we draw the line on defining a meme and defining what group it would need to be popular among; the general public (which would push the date forward) or old school geeks, which have loads of memes within that subculture (ala the Jargon File).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on October 14, 2013, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 14, 2013, 07:27:33 AM

What about that weird dancing baby?

ETA: So I was thinking about my old Geek Code and realized that Kibo predates the dancing baby. If we go way back into Usenet, there are a lot of dead tree memes that became popular internet memes, Hitchhiker's Guide memes, Discordian memes, Python memes etc. There are some memes that were popular among the tech crowd, like the use of "Magic" from the "Magic/More Magic" switch story at MIT. Even old memes in coding like variables named foo, bar and baz... I guess it really depends on where we draw the line on defining a meme and defining what group it would need to be popular among; the general public (which would push the date forward) or old school geeks, which have loads of memes within that subculture (ala the Jargon File).

The dancing baby was way later.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think the oldest actual internet and not fidonet meme I can remember right now is Godwin's Law.

LMNO

Other than KnowYourMeme, I wonder if anyone's actually tried to archive and carbon-date popular internet memes back to the beginning.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH NO

OH NO NO NO NO

I remember an older one! "You have died of dysentery".

I'm sure there are much older internet memes, but that's the oldest one I was on the internet for.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2013, 09:10:51 PM
Other than KnowYourMeme, I wonder if anyone's actually tried to archive and carbon-date popular internet memes back to the beginning.

That would make such an awesome capstone for an anthropology student.

The Good Reverend Roger

Not a meme, really, but a behavior:  At one time, people honestly expected that putting their argument partially or entirely into Latin added to said argument.  In fact, by 1998, it had become a running gag.

Not sure if that was inherited from FIDONET or TALON, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 09:20:51 PM
Not a meme, really, but a behavior:  At one time, people honestly expected that putting their argument partially or entirely into Latin added to said argument.  In fact, by 1998, it had become a running gag.

Not sure if that was inherited from FIDONET or TALON, though.

:lulz: I remember that. In fact, it was an incredibly formative time for me, during which I vowed to never, ever do that because it's intolerably douchey.