News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Misogyny and high drama in the Portland comedy scene

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 14, 2013, 11:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, a local comedian told a rape joke, which fell flat. He then called out another, more popular local comedian, who was sitting in the front row, for not laughing at rape jokes even though she laughs at feminism jokes.

She went home and blogged about it, albeit without identifying him. Ensuing high drama is to be found here: http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2013/10/12/my-least-favorite-piece-of-misogyny-this-week-comedy-bullies
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Wow. These comments are comedy gold. Someone should be mining this shit for their act.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Pæs

This is pretty much how my local comedy scene works too.

If someone called me out, as a fellow whatever, for not appreciating their failed attempt at mutual skill I feel I'd be forced to tell them what I REALLY THINKTM. And then if they got butthurt over it, I would use the burning rage of their angst to keep me warm all winter long.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

And this is what happens when we dig our heels in.   :lulz:

Brutal, public beatings on blogsites.

Good luck getting a paying gig, dude!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know. I was like, wow... first thing he could have done was not make things worse, by keeping his stupid mouth shit. Second thing is he could have made things better, by saying "I'm sorry".

BUT NO.  :lulz:

My favorite comment:

Quote"Have you noticed that Barbara Holm never laughs at rape jokes, no matter how funny?"

So the joke is "I suspect that THIS woman (the one right here in this room that I'm pointing out) is a rape victim, everyone look at this rape victim", right?

I wouldn't open with it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

4th comment is from the comic in question... ya know dude, you could have slinked away in anonymous shame, she didn't name you.  But, noooo, you just had to comment on her "lack of character" for taking it to a public forum. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

This guy is funny. Just not for the reasons he thinks.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Hoopla on October 15, 2013, 02:08:03 PM
4th comment is from the comic in question... ya know dude, you could have slinked away in anonymous shame, she didn't name you.  But, noooo, you just had to comment on her "lack of character" for taking it to a public forum.

that was the funniest bit for me!

Pæs

I've basically totally removed myself from the comedy scene in my area. Signora did the same a long while ago. Comedy attracts a bunch of different people for different reasons but you get a LOT of people drawn to it because they can be rewarded for acting up in a destructive way. I've never been in a group so full of loud people with fragile egos, so the calling her out for not laughing is pretty unsurprising.

Conversations in my local scene are basically a bunch of people standing in a circle riffing off each other, which is cool and to be expected, but doing so over each other, shouting their jokes into the centre and repeating them, becoming increasingly offended and upset, if they don't seem to get acknowledged.

Someone just opened a thread on our comedy FB page about how to make comedy more inviting towards women. It got totally shouted down by "WOMEN SHOULD JUST BE FUNNIER" or "I AM A WOMAN AND OTHER WOMEN ARE JUST PUSSIES". "What do you mean get more women on stage? Should we also get more midgets and other minorities? Women just don't like jokes."

So, yeah, I'm given to understand that this Portland blow up is just how comedy operates everywhere.

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Pæs on October 18, 2013, 12:30:44 AM
I've basically totally removed myself from the comedy scene in my area. Signora did the same a long while ago. Comedy attracts a bunch of different people for different reasons but you get a LOT of people drawn to it because they can be rewarded for acting up in a destructive way. I've never been in a group so full of loud people with fragile egos, so the calling her out for not laughing is pretty unsurprising.

Conversations in my local scene are basically a bunch of people standing in a circle riffing off each other, which is cool and to be expected, but doing so over each other, shouting their jokes into the centre and repeating them, becoming increasingly offended and upset, if they don't seem to get acknowledged.

Someone just opened a thread on our comedy FB page about how to make comedy more inviting towards women. It got totally shouted down by "WOMEN SHOULD JUST BE FUNNIER" or "I AM A WOMAN AND OTHER WOMEN ARE JUST PUSSIES". "What do you mean get more women on stage? Should we also get more midgets and other minorities? Women just don't like jokes."

So, yeah, I'm given to understand that this Portland blow up is just how comedy operates everywhere.

Don't forget the part where having one woman in every line-up -- literally 1/8 representation -- is unreasonable and women should just shut the fuck up.
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Pæs

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's pretty phenomenally bullshit!

We have a comedy club here that actively seeks women comedians, it's pretty cool. I've been there and it was FUNNY, too.

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 18, 2013, 01:01:30 AM

We have a comedy club here that actively seeks women comedians, it's pretty cool. I've been there and it was FUNNY, too.

You mean they weren't all shrill harpies who joked about their periods for eight minutes apiece? Inconceivable!
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Signora Pæsior on October 18, 2013, 01:03:07 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 18, 2013, 01:01:30 AM

You mean they weren't all shrill harpies who joked about their periods for eight minutes apiece? Inconceivable!

:lulz: It's amazing and bizarre what some people think about women, isn't it?