PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:21:48 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:17:58 PM
For better or for worse, they also paved the way for Green Day and The Offspring.

The Offspring formed 3 years before Nirvana.

:|

See, I could get behind the Offspring. But Nirvana? C'mon.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

AFK

For better or for worse, they also paved the way for Green Day and The Offspring.

And nobody gave a shit about them until after Nirvana hit the scene. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 16, 2013, 06:27:35 PM

I like about a third of the Offspring's stuff, because it's shouty in a good way.

Angry shouty > whiny shouty.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:27:52 PM

Of course.   :lulz:

Come to think of it, nobody gave a shit about Miley Cyrus before Nirvana hit the scene, either.  Obviously, she owes it all to Kurt.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:28:30 PM

I like about a third of the Offspring's stuff, because it's shouty in a good way.

Uh, "Self-Esteem" ?

It even has the same goddamn riff as Teen Spirit

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:30:51 PM

Uh, "Self-Esteem" ?

Oh, hey, yeah, I said "a third of the Offspring's stuff".

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:29:55 PM

Come to think of it, nobody gave a shit about Miley Cyrus before Nirvana hit the scene, either.  Obviously, she owes it all to Kurt.

No, she owes it to being the daughter of Achy-Breaky Heart.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:31:48 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:29:55 PM

No, she owes it to being the daughter of Achy-Breaky Heart.

No, Nirvana was famous first.  This makes the influence a proven fact.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:31:40 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:30:51 PM

Uh, "Self-Esteem" ?

Oh, hey, yeah, I said "a third of the Offspring's stuff".

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNG

As I gathered, you don't know what you are talking about.  Thanks for confirmation!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:32:53 PM
As I gathered, you don't know what you are talking about.  Thanks for confirmation!

ONE THIRD INCLUDES THE ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

You are a retard.

Demolition Squid

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is such a load of bullshit I don't even know where to start. Oh wait, I do.
Lets start with Shin Jung-Hyeon. Korea's Grandfather of Rock.

This man was a badass. His mother died young, his father died when he was 14 and his stepmother 15. In response, he moved to Seoul, worked at a pharmacy and attended night school to educate himself, all the while teaching himself to play guitar. He got so good, he gave music lessons, and at 19, was playing at US Army bases across Korea.

He was instrumental in founding the Korean rock scene at a time when modern Korean music was struggling to find a unique identity. His psychedelic style became so popular amongst the American soldiers that he was able to support himself on their money despite the language barrier, and continued to fight for acceptance within the broader culture of his own society.
Not only was he fighting musically, he was his own representative. Unable to find someone to manage his band 'Add 4' (the first rock band in Korea), he became a manager and producer himself. He finally achieved mainstream success as a writer providing songs and backing guitar for many of the groups which would dominate the emerging musical landscape of Korea from 1968 to 1975.

Why did he stop in 1975, you ask? Well, because he stuck two fingers up to the President and refused to become a puppet of the political regime. When asked to write a song in praise of the South Korean president, he instead wrote about the beauty of Korea as a nation. This resulted in police harassment, the banning of many of his songs as 'vulgar' and 'noisy', and finally his arrest in 1975 for (gasp) marijuana usage, where he suffered torture and eventual confinement within a mental institution.

Eventually released, he was still banned from public performance until the death of Park Chung Hee. Although musical tastes had changed such that he ran completely counter to them ( 'Let's work hard,' and 'Let's be happy' kind of stuff. It was completely physical, with no spirit, no mentality, no humanity. That trend has carried over all the way to today..." ), he still continued to produce albums right up to 2006, when he announced his retirement. But he's been unable to resist remaining there, emerging for several public performances and releasing his first American album (Beautiful Rivers And Mountains: The Psychedelic Rock Sound of South Korea's Shin Joong Hyun) in 2011.

His career has spanned 59 years during which he has overseen the birth of the genre in his home nation. This is what it looks like to have an impact on a musical scene. When people speak about Rock in Korea, they speak about the man who went to prison to make the record. They talk about the man who spat in the eye of authority and refused to let his principles be dictated for him. It is impossible to talk about Korean rock music (a category which, just according to Wikipedia, contains 45 bands and 7 individual artists) without talking about the man who started it all and still, to this day, remains an active part of the music scene.
This is the sort of person whose musical impact REALLY can't be denied. It just so happens that the place he had his impact was not the United States of America (although, amusingly, it still wouldn't have been possible without the USA and its army bases, and all those soldiers who loved him so much in the early days). This is the sort of person that should be remembered forever, held up as an icon and example throughout the world, and really embodies what rock music is all about.

But its going to be Nirvana, because fuck you, the music industry will make more cash off a commemorative Nirvana album to celebrate the occasion than they ever would trying to bridge the cultural gap between Korean Rock and US Rock.

(For the interested, this is the song he wrote instead of the one demanded by the Junta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKS4wgCw-K4 and this is another I found whilst throwing this together on a whim that I particularly like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTD5mFc2zU. All of the above was the result of about 20 minutes with google and the search phrase 'History of Korean Rock', as I suspected that there would be a story there far more interesting than fucking Nirvana, and wouldn't you know it, I was right. Until I typed that in, I had no idea who Shin Jung-Hyeon was, and I'm absolutely certain there's plenty more stories of similarly great artists throughout the world who will always be ignored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because we all know only English-speaking artists really count.)
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

The Good Reverend Roger

On the other hand, do you think a badass like Shin Jung-Hyeon belongs in some dusty mausoleum in Ohio, next to some whimpering An Hero like Kurt Cobain?

I don't.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Agreed. Shin Jung-Hyeon is the real deal. Not some plastic nobody.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

AFK

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:41:14 PM
On the other hand, do you think a badass like Shin Jung-Hyeon belongs in some dusty mausoleum in Ohio, next to some whimpering An Hero like Kurt Cobain?

I don't.

Good point.

They've poisoned the well by even considering such small talents as compared to those who really deserve the title of Legend. It'd practically be an insult, at this stage.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho