News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 16, 2013, 06:00:23 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 05:51:37 PM
Nirvana had a larger cultural impact.  They galvanized youth culture in a way that Gene Simmons could only dream about.

Nothing Nirvana did lasted 20 years.

Are you kidding?  There are all kinds of bands that broke, and are still around, because of the groundwork laid by Nirvana.

QuotePeople are still doing the stuff KISS started 40 years ago.

Please elaborate on this.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:05:49 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 16, 2013, 06:04:49 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:01:59 PM
Let's talk about the cultural influence of an habitual junkie who offed himself.   :lulz:

Such an example!

Yeah, this is just my experience here, but I've never heard anyone gush about Nirvana's cultural impact who didn't have a bong in one hand and a crack pipe in the other.

I think we should most definitely commermorate his life and cultural influence on youth.

Maybe we could name a needle exchange program after him.

A needle exchange program and a suicide prevention hotline and a new hybrid of marijuana. For medicinal purposes. To fight depression.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think the hopeless fangirling about Nirvana is just a troll, guys.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 16, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Naw.  The insane inconsistency is actually consistent for RWHN.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:07:05 PM
Are you kidding?  There are all kinds of bands that broke, and are still around, because of the groundwork laid by Nirvana.

Such as...

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

That would be awesome.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 16, 2013, 06:12:02 PM

That would be awesome.

I hope not.

Because listening to RWHN gush about that dead junkie is like watching Jay & Silent Bob going off about how Morris Day and The Time was the best band ever.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

Such as...

Radiohead, for starters.  They got their foot in the door because of Creep which had the same soft/loud dynamic, angsty lyrics, and a buzzsaw guitar approach.

AFK

The Smashing Pumpkins were languishing as a weird alt-metal band, relegated to Headbanger's Ball and 120 Minutes until Nirvana came along. 

AFK

For better or for worse, they also paved the way for Green Day and The Offspring. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

Such as...

Radiohead, for starters.  They got their foot in the door because of Creep which had the same soft/loud dynamic, angsty lyrics, and a buzzsaw guitar approach.

Radiohead, you say? 

Why, yes, considering how they formed 2 years before Nirvana did, and their music made it big at about the exact same time on two different sides of the Atlantic within a few months or so of each other, that has to be the case.

:lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins were languishing as a weird alt-metal band, relegated to Headbanger's Ball and 120 Minutes until Nirvana came along.

Another crime to lay at Nirvana's feet.

And where have the Smashing Pumpkins been, recently?  Playing county fairs, perhaps?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 16, 2013, 06:17:58 PM
For better or for worse, they also paved the way for Green Day and The Offspring.

The Offspring formed 3 years before Nirvana.

:|

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:13:08 PM

That would be awesome.

I hope not.

Because listening to RWHN gush about that dead junkie is like watching Jay & Silent Bob going off about how Morris Day and The Time was the best band ever.

A troll would be awesome in comparison to someone REALLY REALLY believing Nirvana was that earth-shattering.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 16, 2013, 06:25:58 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 06:13:08 PM

That would be awesome.

I hope not.

A troll would be awesome in comparison to someone REALLY REALLY believing Nirvana was that earth-shattering.

No, it warms my cold & dead heart to think that someone like RWHN exists, exactly as advertized.