News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 11:35:28 AM
Of course I recognize that I'm (foolishly) expecting people who fawn over and worship at the feet of Ms. Wrecking Ball to have at least a modicum of musical cultural awareness. 

i also sense some bitterness from punk purists, coloring opinions.

Dude, I have never heard a Miley Cyrus song, and can barely stand punk.  Your opinion is bogus on this matter.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Of course I recognize that I'm (foolishly) expecting people who fawn over and worship at the feet of Ms. Wrecking Ball to have at least a modicum of musical cultural awareness. 

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 03:14:11 PM

Dude, I have never heard a Miley Cyrus song, and can barely stand punk.  Your opinion is bogus on this matter.

Hoops, you have to understand...If you don't think Miley Cyrus is a LOUDMOUTHED SLUT WHORE then you are obviously a great fan of hers, musically.

RWHN is a little fixated on her, on account of LOUDMOUTH SLUT WHORE WOMAN WHO SPEAKS BEFORE SHE'S SPOKEN TO.

He gets that way.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 18, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Hoops, you have to understand...If you don't think Miley Cyrus is a LOUDMOUTHED SLUT WHORE then you are obviously a great fan of hers, musically.

RWHN is a little fixated on her, on account of LOUDMOUTH SLUT WHORE WOMAN WHO SPEAKS BEFORE SHE'S SPOKEN TO.

He gets that way.

Yeah, I've been noticing.  So, Nirvana good... Miley bad.  Got it.  I wonder what his thoughts on Courtney are.  I bet he thinks she murdered Kurt.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 02:14:30 AM
Bands are nominated, are put on ballots, and then people vote.

That's the critera.

Nirvana The Pixies created a seismic shift in the music scene that paved the way for tons of alternative bands.  Fuck, they even allowed greater exposure for their influences.  Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Vaselines, etc., etc.,

You can't be serious. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 03:20:46 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 03:12:09 PM

That's the critera.

Nirvana The Pixies created a seismic shift in the music scene that paved the way for tons of alternative bands.  Fuck, they even allowed greater exposure for their influences.  Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Vaselines, etc., etc.,

You can't be serious.

It sure as hell wasn't Nirvana.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

That's the critera.

Nirvana Hoobastank created a seismic shift in the music scene that paved the way for tons of alternative bands.  Fuck, they even allowed greater exposure for their influences.  Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Vaselines, etc., etc.,

AFK

So every other music critic or expert who have written about the massive impact of Nirvana on music also have bogus opinions?

AFK

Were you all in comas during the 90s? 

AFK

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 03:18:10 PM

He gets that way.

Yeah, I've been noticing.  So, Nirvana good... Miley bad.  Got it.  I wonder what his thoughts on Courtney are.  I bet he thinks she murdered Kurt.

Obvious suicide is obvious.

Courtney is awful and obviously has ridden his/Nirvana's coattails.  Please don't tell me you think they would have had success without Nirvana.

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 03:25:00 PM

So every other music critic or expert who have written about the massive impact of Nirvana on music also have bogus opinions?

I would suggest they have subjective opinions.  I don't think anyone is denying that grunge as a movement had a massive impact on the 90s as a whole, or that Nirvana was one of its leading forces... but you seem to be claiming Nirvana was solely responsible for the 90s.  I wish I could blame Kurt Cobain for Reality Bites, but I can't.  I can, however, blame him for Silverchair.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

He gets that way.

Courtney is awful and obviously has ridden his/Nirvana's coattails.  Please don't tell me you think they would have had success without Nirvana.

The amount of success? No.  But she was arguably somewhat successful long before she knew Kurt... she's in Sid and Nancy, which came out in 1986, long before anyone heard of Nirvana.  But, being his Yoko certainly helped a lot.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

I would argue the other bands would not have been as big without Nirvana.  Nirvana was the band that had, for better or worse, every other record label looking for "similar" bands.  And it worked backwards too.  Sure, Nirvana were influenced by The Pixies, but let's not kid ourselves.  How many Pixies videos did you see during the day on MTV before Nirvana broke?  That's right, none.  They were, and still are, a cult band.  But after Nirvana broke, their fans started checking out all of the name-dropped influences.  The Pixies benefitted from that, Sonic Youth, etc.

I guarantee you far fewer copies of Sonic Youth's tour movie "The Year Punk Broke" would have been sold had Nirvana not been on that tour and had several performances recorded for that film.

Pearl Jam would've been just another classic-rock infused hard rock band, AIC just another hard rock band, Soundgarden, just another hard rock band.  Without Nirvana, the "Seattle Scene" would have been a blip, no bigger than the San Francisco thrash scene or the Georgia folk college-rock scene. 

AFK

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 03:38:02 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

He gets that way.

The amount of success? No.  But she was arguably somewhat successful long before she knew Kurt... she's in Sid and Nancy, which came out in 1986, long before anyone heard of Nirvana.  But, being his Yoko certainly helped a lot.

Yeah, I remember that movie being a huge box office draw that vaulted her to household-name status.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would like to take a moment to point out that RWHN was still literally a child in some Maine backwoods when Nirvana emerged. I was here and into the music scene in Olympia and Portland... FFS, Nirvana opened for my boyfriend's band at Satyricon, and I worked with guys from Sweaty Nipples and Hitting Birth. Nervous Xtians were still popular, you could see 3 bands for 3 bucks Tuesday nights at Pine Street/La Luna, and I was writing and doing photography for the local music paper in Portland. The reality was, A BAND was going to get tapped to be repackaged for popular consumption because alt rock was skyrocketing in popularity, and everybody was a little baffled that it was Nirvana, but like I said before, Cobain was photogenic. Nirvana's popularity was an effect of the rising popularity and marketability of alt rock, not a cause. This is obvious to anyone who was actually THERE. Which RWHN wasn't, and is clearly piecing together his notions about how it went from magazine retrospectives. Cobain's suicide sealed the deal; without it they would have been just another 90's alt band, and not THE 90's alt band in so many people's minds.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."