News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 18, 2013, 03:52:07 PMCobain's suicide sealed the deal; without it they would have been just another 90's alt band, and not THE 90's alt band in so many people's minds.

Bingo. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Nirvana were huge when Cobain killed himself.  What sealed the deal was the fact that they engaged so many through their music.  One of the things Kurt struggled with was the fact that they were drawing not just the weirdos into left-of-center music.  They were drawing the jocks, the preppies, the rich kids, the middle class kids, the poor kids, boys and girls, the smart kids, everyone.  "Come As You Are".

It wasn't just going to be any band.  Yes, there was a generation of kids waiting for a band or music movement to come along that would speak to them and include them.  Hair metal wasn't doing it, the pop mainstream of the day wasn't doing it.  Nirvana rumbled in with "Teen Spirit" and youth culture responded with a "Fuck Yes". 

Pearl Jam couldn't have done that, Soundgarden couldn't, AIC couldn't. Nirvana was the only band set up to do that.  And there hasn't been a band that has done that since.

Period.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

And this is how fanboys are born.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Nirvana were huge when Cobain killed himself.  What sealed the deal was the fact that they engaged so many through their music.  One of the things Kurt struggled with was the fact that they were drawing not just the weirdos into left-of-center music.  They were drawing the jocks, the preppies, the rich kids, the middle class kids, the poor kids, boys and girls, the smart kids, everyone.  "Come As You Are".

It wasn't just going to be any band.  Yes, there was a generation of kids waiting for a band or music movement to come along that would speak to them and include them.  Hair metal wasn't doing it, the pop mainstream of the day wasn't doing it.  Nirvana rumbled in with "Teen Spirit" and youth culture responded with a "Fuck Yes". 

Pearl Jam couldn't have done that, Soundgarden couldn't, AIC couldn't. Nirvana was the only band set up to do that.  And there hasn't been a band that has done that since.

Period.

You and I are close to the same age... what sort of high school did you go to?  At my school Nirvana was certainly very popular (to my dismay) but equally so, at that time, was Pearl Jam and a plethora of other "alternative" bands I loathed.  You know what else was extremely popular with the youth?  Probably more so?  Hip fucking hop.  The 90s were not the niche market you seem to recall.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

You think the alternative music scene would have been as big without Nirvana?  If so, who had the capacity to draw in as many different segments of youth culture as Nirvana did?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 03:27:43 PM
Were you all in comas during the 90s?

no I was listening to the smashing pumpkins.  I have always disliked nirvana's sound

hooplala

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 04:30:25 PM
You think the alternative music scene would have been as big without Nirvana?  If so, who had the capacity to draw in as many different segments of youth culture as Nirvana did?

Yes.  Hard music had been moving in that direction for years.  Look at Jane's Addiction, they were putting out "alternative" music five years earlier, it was only a matter of time.  You seem to be under the impression that Pearl Jam existed in obscurity.  By my recollection, before Cobain ate both barrels of a shotgun, they were basically even in popularity... then Kurt decided to rip off Neil Young too, and his longevity was sealed.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

This thread has been in a loop since page 2.

Which reminds me of something.  But what?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 18, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
This thread has been in a loop since page 2.

Which reminds me of something.  But what?

Good point.  I've stated my five cents.  I'm out.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

trippinprincezz13

I think Blink 182 should be in the Hall of Fame because they invented GreenDay and then Sum 41. Changed my life forever, man!

Besides, if Nirvana was so popular, that can only mean they were sellouts and thus inauthentic and undeserving of the Hall of Fame.

I nominate the band that smashes away every so often in one of the apartment buildings near me, because no-one has heard of them, so they are the most authentic of all.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Don Coyote

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on October 18, 2013, 05:07:23 PM
I think Blink 182 should be in the Hall of Fame because they invented GreenDay and then Sum 41. Changed my life forever, man!

Besides, if Nirvana was so popular, that can only mean they were sellouts and thus inauthentic and undeserving of the Hall of Fame.

I nominate the band that smashes away every so often in one of the apartment buildings near me, because no-one has heard of them, so they are the most authentic of all.
:lol:

hooplala

I think Blink 182 should be in the Hall of Fame because they invented GreenDay and then Sum 41.

:trolling:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 04:05:20 PM

Period.

You and I are close to the same age... what sort of high school did you go to?  At my school Nirvana was certainly very popular (to my dismay) but equally so, at that time, was Pearl Jam and a plethora of other "alternative" bands I loathed.  You know what else was extremely popular with the youth?  Probably more so?  Hip fucking hop.  The 90s were not the niche market you seem to recall.

I think a lot of people forget just how insanely popular Pearl Jam was. By the time Cobain died, Pearl Jam was far more popular than Nirvana. Unfortunately.

You know who was a big fucking deal in the music scene? THE band? You already know this; it was the Pixies.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 05:10:18 PM
I think Blink 182 should be in the Hall of Fame because they invented GreenDay and then Sum 41.

:trolling:

What!? Green Day is on Broadway now, the most authentic of all. And they never would have made it there if not for Blink 182 streaking in a music video singing about how mature they were.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.