News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 19, 2013, 05:50:57 AM
Wow, does he seriously think that the Pixies were a "college band with a niche audience"?  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: I won't say disconnected, because that implies that he was ever connected in the first place. Wonder if he's ever even heard Joy Division or PIL?

I don't know.  They were pretty underground.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 18, 2013, 09:51:51 PM
It's just an example, but the point is that Nirvana was more the province of the alt-rock crowd. All the kids in school who already knew about them because they had Bleach were the weird kids with dirty fingernails and black hoodies with too-long sleeves with thumbholes cut in them and the only girl in 9th grade who had an eyebrow ring.

Yup.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

-

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 19, 2013, 05:51:46 AM
Wow, does he seriously think that the Pixies were a "college band with a niche audience"?  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: I won't say disconnected, because that implies that he was ever connected in the first place. Wonder if he's ever even heard Joy Division or PIL?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Does that mean they're "authentic"?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I do hope you low-brows understand that Wolfgang Mozart didn't have NEARLY the influence on music that Cobain had.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 19, 2013, 05:56:04 AM
Hi guys, I listen to this new artist called Robin Thicke.  He's pretty underground, you probably haven't heard of him.

That's so alt.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 19, 2013, 05:58:27 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 19, 2013, 05:51:46 AM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Does that mean they're "authentic"?

Depends.  Did they get paid?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 19, 2013, 02:14:30 AM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 19, 2013, 01:38:59 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 18, 2013, 10:09:34 PM
I thought Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the same thing for a long time. As soon as the whining screeching started, I changed the station. Couldn't stand their voices.

They don't sound even remotely similar.

It all sounded like garbage at the time. Sorry.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 19, 2013, 05:59:37 AM
I thought Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the same thing for a long time. As soon as the whining screeching started, I changed the station. Couldn't stand their voices.

:lol:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 19, 2013, 01:42:10 AM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 18, 2013, 09:28:18 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Nirvana were huge when Cobain killed himself.  What sealed the deal was the fact that they engaged so many through their music.  One of the things Kurt struggled with was the fact that they were drawing not just the weirdos into left-of-center music.  They were drawing the jocks, the preppies, the rich kids, the middle class kids, the poor kids, boys and girls, the smart kids, everyone.  "Come As You Are".

It wasn't just going to be any band.  Yes, there was a generation of kids waiting for a band or music movement to come along that would speak to them and include them.  Hair metal wasn't doing it, the pop mainstream of the day wasn't doing it.  Nirvana rumbled in with "Teen Spirit" and youth culture responded with a "Fuck Yes". 

Pearl Jam couldn't have done that, Soundgarden couldn't, AIC couldn't. Nirvana was the only band set up to do that.  And there hasn't been a band that has done that since.

Period.

You and I are close to the same age... what sort of high school did you go to?  At my school Nirvana was certainly very popular (to my dismay) but equally so, at that time, was Pearl Jam and a plethora of other "alternative" bands I loathed.  You know what else was extremely popular with the youth?  Probably more so?  Hip fucking hop.  The 90s were not the niche market you seem to recall.

Nevermind broke during my freshman year. Most of the kids were listening to shitty hip-hop (Vanilla Ice was HUGE) and the kids who were actually into the local rock scene were mostly into Mudhoney, Sweaty Nipples, Rhino Humpers, and Gruntruck. Nirvana was for the weird kids who watched 120 Minutes and liked Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Yes, initially, when you could only see their videos on 120 Minutes and Headbanger's Ball.  But then they broke it open, and then everyone was into them.

And by "everyone" you mean "angsty junior high school kids with no friends". Which, now that I think about it, makes perfect sense. :lol:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

None of those bands amassed the fan base, nor had the same level of impact that Nirvana had.  The Pixies were an influence on Nirvana and others, but never enjoyed their success, and indeed, received a posthumous bump after Nirvana hit it big.  This is pretty common knowledge.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

This guy gets it:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/2014-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-nirvana-kiss-deep-purple-yes-zombies-linda-ronstadt.331799/page-13

QuoteThey [Pixies] were almost unknown outside of alt / indie circles when they were actually releasing albums. But the subsequent popularity of bands whom they influenced - Nirvana mostly - made them popular years after they broke up. Hence their reformation and multiple tours (still smaller venues - but as headliners) in the last decade.

I always view their history as similar to the Velvet Underground - who are in the Hall I believe, so I do think the Pixies have a chance.

However...without the explosion of Nirvana, the Pixies would probably be a footnote. Even more reason why Nirvana deserve first-ballot election. Not only were they hugely influential but their impact extended backwards to one of their main influences who reaped the benefits.

Kai

So, the R&R HoF is all about...influence? O.o

Sounds like a shitty way to celebrate music. You know, rather than by what is actually /good/.

Jurassic Park influenced my childhood, but that doesn't mean I think either the book or the film should be celebrated in a hall of great literature.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 19, 2013, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 19, 2013, 05:59:37 AM

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uDiGAr_WKs

"When I grow up, I'll be famous.
When I grow up, I'll be stable."
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.