News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 19, 2013, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 19, 2013, 01:42:10 AM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 18, 2013, 09:28:18 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 18, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 18, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
Nirvana were huge when Cobain killed himself.  What sealed the deal was the fact that they engaged so many through their music.  One of the things Kurt struggled with was the fact that they were drawing not just the weirdos into left-of-center music.  They were drawing the jocks, the preppies, the rich kids, the middle class kids, the poor kids, boys and girls, the smart kids, everyone.  "Come As You Are".

It wasn't just going to be any band.  Yes, there was a generation of kids waiting for a band or music movement to come along that would speak to them and include them.  Hair metal wasn't doing it, the pop mainstream of the day wasn't doing it.  Nirvana rumbled in with "Teen Spirit" and youth culture responded with a "Fuck Yes". 

Pearl Jam couldn't have done that, Soundgarden couldn't, AIC couldn't. Nirvana was the only band set up to do that.  And there hasn't been a band that has done that since.

Period.

You and I are close to the same age... what sort of high school did you go to?  At my school Nirvana was certainly very popular (to my dismay) but equally so, at that time, was Pearl Jam and a plethora of other "alternative" bands I loathed.  You know what else was extremely popular with the youth?  Probably more so?  Hip fucking hop.  The 90s were not the niche market you seem to recall.

Nevermind broke during my freshman year. Most of the kids were listening to shitty hip-hop (Vanilla Ice was HUGE) and the kids who were actually into the local rock scene were mostly into Mudhoney, Sweaty Nipples, Rhino Humpers, and Gruntruck. Nirvana was for the weird kids who watched 120 Minutes and liked Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Yes, initially, when you could only see their videos on 120 Minutes and Headbanger's Ball.  But then they broke it open, and then everyone was into them.

And by "everyone" you mean "angsty junior high school kids with no friends". Which, now that I think about it, makes perfect sense. :lol:

Oh, if "popular with the young people" = "groundbreaking", I guess Miley Cyrus is right up there with Nirvana for deserving induction.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

When she's eligible I will lead a goddamn movement dedicated to her induction.

Not because I think she deserves it, but because the singularity of butthurt RWHN would become could solve the energy crisis.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

AFK

To repeat:

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Miley doesn't fit that bill, pretty much any of the past and present pop princesses are disqualified.  I can see a case for Madonna, but that's about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 19, 2013, 03:33:31 PM
When she's eligible I will lead a goddamn movement dedicated to her induction.

Not because I think she deserves it, but because the singularity of butthurt RWHN would become could solve the energy crisis.

I can't imagine he'll still be alive by then.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 19, 2013, 03:22:48 PM

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.

RWHN's ass just ratcheted totally SHUT. I think he's gonna explode soon.  :lulz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame#Criticism

QuoteA former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist...I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today.

&c., &c...
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 19, 2013, 03:40:23 PM
Miley doesn't fit that bill, pretty much any of the past and present pop princesses are disqualified.  I can see a case for Madonna, but that's about it.

Madonna's in there, a bunch of actual rockers and musicians aren't.

PWN
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

Yes, I know she's there, as I said, I can see the case for her, she definitely had a huge influence on pop music.  I think it's a bit of a stretch to have her in a ROCK and Roll Hall of Fame.  But if a Pop diva is to be inducted, she is the most appropriate choice.

Demolition Squid

And as the Hall is all about popularity and has fuck all to do with its original missoon statement, I am confident we'll get Miley in sooner rather than later.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

AFK

Heh, will it be 25 years after the first Hannah Montanna album?

:lulz:

AFK

I'm pretty confident she will get in soon though, I'm sure she is well set enough to afford the price of admission.   :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 19, 2013, 02:14:30 AM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 19, 2013, 01:38:59 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 18, 2013, 10:09:34 PM
I thought Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the same thing for a long time. As soon as the whining screeching started, I changed the station. Couldn't stand their voices.

They don't sound even remotely similar.

It all sounded like garbage at the time. Sorry.

That's because Garbage was also produced by Butch Vig.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 19, 2013, 03:38:42 PM
To repeat:

"Unquestionable musical excellence"? Well, I guess Nirvana is out. And that's not even going by my opinions. If it can be questioned, as it has in this thread, how can it be unquestionable?  :lol: Bunch of commercial wankery, is what it is.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

How many people ITT are voters for the HOF? 

That's right.  Zero