News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

It's that time of year again...

Started by AFK, October 16, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Kai on October 19, 2013, 11:59:16 PM
I want to put something in context, Reverend WHN.

In 1995, I was ten. I didn't know what the hell Nirvana was, much less that Kurt Cobain had died the year before. I do remember a darn good Bill Nye parody of "Smells like Teen Spirit" called "Air Pressure", but I didn't even understand the connection till I was out of High School. I was listening to music my parents listened to, classic rock and the like. By the time I had gotten to an age where I might have cared about Nirvana, their time was long since passed. The early 2000s were full of shitty music on the radio, but I was by that point deeply into classical guitar and didn't listen to the radio anyway.

In other words, I really don't have any opinions about Nirvana. And it seems like the people who really do, who really like them, all are of a certain age, where they were in their late teens or early twenties during the early 90's, of a certain high school or college scene, and certain image. The only other people who seem to care about that band are the ones who make money off of it, or are critics trying to buy their way into that crowd. From my (limited) standpoint, it seems to be a whole lot of hype that didn't stand the test of time. But YMMV; come ask me again in 20 years.

I have a brother about the same age who DID get into Nirvana when he got older despite them not being around anymore.  He had posters, the entire discography, t-shirts, and a lot of his friends were into them too.  Kind of how when I was in college there were a ton of kids into bands like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doors, Queen, Floyd, etc.  Nirvana had a very short career, only 3 studio albums, but they had an impact larger than bands who've been around twice that amount of time.  They were a powderkeg right when music needed it. 

There was a whole generation of kids who weren't resonating with the bloated excesses of the dying 80s scenes.  Nirvana got right to the point.  They reflected this sort of listless angst, and honestly anger, that was amongst this generation.  I know this because I was part of that generation and knew many who really got into Nirvana who were in the same place,  And it wasn't just is weirdos, it cut across cliques. 

And they are still an influence.  Fuck, I loathe what she stands for, but even Ms. Cyrus has covered Teen Spirit as demonstrated in the YouTube video I posted earlier.  No one has done what Nirvana did since.  But, then again, the music scene really isn't set up for that kind of movement anymore anyway.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

http://www.musicroom.com/blog/music-news/10-marks-left-by-kurt-cobain-and-nirvana-on-modern-music-makers

QuoteVernon Reid of Living Colour sees the front man as a lightning rod: "Cobain changed the course of where the music went [...] There are certain people where you can see the axis of musical history twisting on them: Hendrix was pivotal, Prince was pivotal, Cobain was pivotal."

Kai

Your point is moot. Why? I don't care, that's why. Obviously Kurt Cobain didn't care, since he took a lot of drugs and then offed himself. Course, he was over the age of 18, so you don't really care either.

You can talk all day how you think Nirvana was the most influential, greatest band or whatever, but when it comes down to it, none of us agree with you. I frankly don't understand it, and I don't think I would unless I was part of that pseudo-rebellious scene. And it's a bit funny to me you identify with them. On the other hand, you also seem to have allies in the alcohol industry. Like an onion, you have many layers of hypocrisy.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

Quote from: Kai on October 20, 2013, 12:53:10 AM
Your point is moot. Why? I don't care, that's why. Obviously Kurt Cobain didn't care, since he took a lot of drugs and then offed himself. Course, he was over the age of 18, so you don't really care either.

That's a very easy judgement for you to make.  How do you know he didn't care?  Drug addiction is a disease of the brain, it isn't so cut and dry to just say that someone doesn't care.  Same with suicide.  He was a person who certainly had some mental health issues that were not being addressed. 

QuoteYou can talk all day how you think Nirvana was the most influential, greatest band or whatever, but when it comes down to it, none of us agree with you.

That's okay.  But there are many, many who do agree with me, including many professionals in the music industry, and they will be inducted first ballot. 

QuoteI frankly don't understand it, and I don't think I would unless I was part of that pseudo-rebellious scene. [size=78%]And it's a bit funny to me you identify with them[/size][/size]

I wasn't part of any "pseudo-rebellious" scene and it was plain as day to me.  I was a bit of a weirdo, but I was the straight-A, college prep kid.  I was a hair metal fan, and still am a fan of that music.  But hair metal is party music, it is very surface-level.  For kids with a bit more of an EQ, a band like Nirvana hit all of the right marks.  it was a bit deeper than, "Hey let's get drunk and fuck!".  Not that there is anything wrong with that ( KISS ), but it isn't very deep.

QuoteOn the other hand, you also seem to have allies in the alcohol industry. Like an onion, you have many layers of hypocrisy.

Having a common enemy and being allies are two very different things. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's New Wildebeest? on October 20, 2013, 01:22:01 AM

You were the one that said "allies".  Please see my sig.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on October 19, 2013, 08:06:42 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 19, 2013, 02:14:30 AM
Quote from: Not Your Average Mean on October 19, 2013, 01:38:59 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 18, 2013, 10:09:34 PM
I thought Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the same thing for a long time. As soon as the whining screeching started, I changed the station. Couldn't stand their voices.

They don't sound even remotely similar.

It all sounded like garbage at the time. Sorry.

That's because Garbage was also produced by Butch Vig.

That guy gets around.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 20, 2013, 03:14:08 AM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

And the "common enemy" is pot, but he's enamored with the (false) idea that a junkie is GOD TO A WHOLE GENERATION.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on October 20, 2013, 03:46:26 AM
I thought Nirvana and Pearl Jam were the same thing for a long time. As soon as the whining screeching started, I changed the station. Couldn't stand their voices.

That guy gets around.

He produces pop music. It's his job.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on October 20, 2013, 06:37:58 AM

And the "common enemy" is pot, but he's enamored with the (false) idea that a junkie is GOD TO A WHOLE GENERATION.

Oh, irony.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on October 20, 2013, 06:37:58 AM

:lulz:

AFK

Thread split please, you can put the drug posts into the current drug thread.

Thanks.

Kai

Quote from: Kai on October 20, 2013, 12:53:10 AM

That's a very easy judgement for you to make.  How do you know he didn't care?  Drug addiction is a disease of the brain, it isn't so cut and dry to just say that someone doesn't care.  Same with suicide.  He was a person who certainly had some mental health issues that were not being addressed.

You seem to be operating under the assumption of Cartesian duality; whether he was ill or depressed, he still didn't care. Which is irrelevant; I sure know /you/ don't care (the point). You've said as much before, that your moral community doesn't include anyone over the age of 18.

QuoteYou can talk all day how you think Nirvana was the most influential, greatest band or whatever, but when it comes down to it, none of us agree with you.

That's okay.  But there are many, many who do agree with me, including many professionals in the music industry, and they will be inducted first ballot. 

The HoF is irrelevant to deciding what is worth listening to.

QuoteI frankly don't understand it, and I don't think I would unless I was part of that pseudo-rebellious scene. [size=78%]And it's a bit funny to me you identify with them[/size][/size]

I wasn't part of any "pseudo-rebellious" scene and it was plain as day to me. I was a bit of a weirdo, but I was the straight-A, college prep kid.  I was a hair metal fan, and still am a fan of that music.  But hair metal is party music, it is very surface-level.  For kids with a bit more of an EQ, a band like Nirvana hit all of the right marks.  it was a bit deeper than, "Hey let's get drunk and fuck!".  Not that there is anything wrong with that ( KISS ), but it isn't very deep.

Thus the pseudo-rebellion. Pseudo being a common prefix meaning "false". You.../do/ know that, right?

QuoteOn the other hand, you also seem to have allies in the alcohol industry. Like an onion, you have many layers of hypocrisy.

Sure they are. And at 10:52 PM on October 8th, 2013, you said, and I quote, "So I took a public jab at the folks at MPP and gained an interesting new ally.  The liquor industry. " Your words. Now, I couldn't care less who your "bedfellows" are. To me, it's just another layer of hypocrisy, just another reason to dislike you. Phox left because of your nonsense, and I doubt she is coming back. So what I want is for you to leave, and to not come back.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hirley0

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 20, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

That guy gets around.

nopE

Cain

-

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: hirley0 on October 20, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 20, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

That guy gets around.

nopE

:potd:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"